2.5" disks in CS406

Discussion Room for Legacy Disk/Cube/Rack Station from the x01/x06 Series.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
colin_e
Rookie
Rookie

2.5" disks in CS406

Unread post by colin_e » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:45 pm

I have a CubeStation 406 that's been ticking along as a family file server with a pair of WD 500GB disks.

In roughly a decade I have replaced a couple of failed disks and one external PSU.

The second disk in the unit is beginning to show SMART errors again so it looks as if it's on its way out. Those WD disks are no longer available at a decent price, so if I do decide to keep the Cubestation going it means changing to a new disk type.

The limitation on putting big (1TB or more) disks in the CS406 was always reckoned to be the power supply. However one thing that's changed in the last 10 years is the rise of large capacity 2.5" disks that don't use much power.

Has anyone tried installing large capacity (say 1TB each) 2.5" disks in the CS406. If so i'd like to hear of your experience, and exactly which disks were used.
Regards: Colin

iknowtech
Skilled
Skilled

Re: 2.5" disks in CS406

Unread post by iknowtech » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:32 am

I wouldn't think that the power supply would be the issue, I would think the issue is more of what the version of DSM your using is capable of handling with regards to drives.

Its been reported that users that have been able to upgrade to DSM 3.1 have been able to use larger drives.

Return to “x01/x06/x07 Legacy Discussion”