ST2000DL003-9VT166 and DS918+

Discuss anything related with Seagate or Maxtor brand hard drives.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
hboo
I'm New!
I'm New!

ST2000DL003-9VT166 and DS918+

Postby hboo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 am

Hello,

I have a bunch of ST2000DL003-9VT166 that are pretty old but still in very good shape. Those were used in the past for rolling backups on another platform. They appear in the disk compatibility list but not for 918+.

To test my new 918+, I have put 4 of these in an SHR array and I keep having some of them randomly disconnecting. There are no errors apart from the reconnect count and the performance is good (except when the array is not resynching due to the re-connections)...

After reading about these disks, it seems like they are known to drop from RAID arrays and cause issues. What suprises me is that some users are also reporting using (succesfully?) this model in Synology enclosures.

What is rthe experience with this disk model and newer DSs?

Thanks for the feedback,
H

Return to “Seagate/Maxtor Discussion Room”