Seagate Backup Plus 4TB - Is the STDR4000100 also compatible?

Discuss anything related with Seagate or Maxtor brand hard drives.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
webipsum
I'm New!
I'm New!

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB - Is the STDR4000100 also compatible?

Postby webipsum » Wed May 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi.

Please.

For the Routedor - Synology Router RT1900ac in the compatibility list I found:
Seagate 2.5 "External Drive Backup Plus STDR4000300 4TB 19KAMS-570

Searching on Amazon I found:
Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black (STDR4000100)

Is the STDR4000100 also compatible?

NOTE: It seems to me the same product, with different code depending on the region (I believe).

Tks.
Babylonia
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB - Is the STDR4000100 also compatible?

Postby Babylonia » Sun May 07, 2017 8:42 am

As for your question by redirection from other forum thread < HERE >.

Within that example:
Me myself do use an older "Lacie Rikiki" 1 TB USB drive (PDF sheet spec. here), that I had already before I got the router.
Unfortunately I did have problems connecting directly to the RT1900ac router. But by using an (older) Sitecom USB 2.0 HUB, I still could manage to use it.
In spite that Lacie Rikiki do have USB 3.0 specs. it is not a fast drive when connected to a USB 3.0 port at my PC anayway. So not big difference by using a USB 2.0 HUB.
Keep in mind that the RT1900ac USB 3.0 speed also is not that high as seen by reviews. The processor speed of a RT1900ac is not that high. (RT2600ac do have better specs.).
You have to be consciously this combination Router versus drive doesn't match a real NAS functionality and speed. (But very handy IMO).

Important to know is the fact that if you are using USB 3.0 speed, the internal electromagnetic interference can lower WiFi speed.
So USB 2.0 usage is recommended anyway. (You get a message within the router, if you are enabling USB 3.0).
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... work_speed

Downgrade USB 3.0 device to reduce interference to 2.4GHz signal (at Network Center > Wireless > Wi-Fi > 2.4GHz

With the question within the other tread asking if a drive attached to the RT1900ac still can be connected as a Network device, by WiFi connection.
Speed of the connection is limited by the WiFi speed anyway. It can be relatively fast or not that high, depending your position. Often doesn't surpass USB 2.0 anyway.

Back to your base question about compatability:

So for proper connection it can be important to use the right drive what can be found within the < Synology compatibility list >
(My drive isn't listed. NOT as compatible, and NOT as incompatible). So that list isn't complete. It always can be a hit or mis.
But as there only are a few drive factories / brands in the world, it is not a big gamble I guess.

As for Seagate, I can find these:
http://www.seagate.com/consumer/backup/ ... lus/#specs

I think the information found on Synology website by accident is wrong, as the number STDR4000300 doesn't exist officially.
See product search at Seagate itself < HERE >

So I guess it is no problem to use STDR4000100.
If it doesn't match, you always have the possibility to return product within 14 days or so (see Amazon return policy).

Another tip to be aware:
Don't format a USB-disk by tools within the RT1900ac router itself, as you only have choice for EXT4 (and FAT32). You get problems connecting the drive to Windows PC etc.
Just use the already pre formatted drive (NTFS), or connect to a Windows PC and format with the tools within Windows.
-
webipsum
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby webipsum » Sun May 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Babylonia.

Without a doubt, a lesson! Thank you again!

The same model with final ... 300 I only found on the site of Seagate (Asia-Pacific (APAC) ASEAN website):
http://www.seagate.com/as/en/consumer/backup/backup-plus/#specs

I agree with you:

Babylonia wrote:As for your question by redirection from other forum thread < HERE >.
... So I guess it is no problem to use STDR4000100. ...

My choice will be by My choice will be by STDR4000100..

His explanation is broad and adequate.

A great Sunday!
seagate_surfer
Beginner
Beginner

Postby seagate_surfer » Tue May 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi, Webipsum. One thing you're going to want to be careful of here is that the external drive you mentioned with the product ID of STDR4000100 is not stated on the Synology compatibility list for your router. This means that even if the drive were to work, if your router were to run into problems in the future, using a peripheral device which is not on the product's compatibility list can potentially void your Synology warranty. We recommend sticking with specific products mentioned in the compatibility list to be safe.
Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming
webipsum
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby webipsum » Wed May 10, 2017 2:04 am

seagate_surfer wrote:... We recommend sticking with specific products mentioned in the compatibility list to be safe.

Hi.
I'm going to buy this product in the USA.
In USA I only found the model: STDR4000100.
Where can I find the model: STDR4000300?
I only located it on an Asia / Pacific site.
I believe it is the same product.
The difference of .100 or ... 300 at the end of the product should refer to the region where it is sold / manufactured.
What do you think?
seagate_surfer
Beginner
Beginner

Postby seagate_surfer » Wed May 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Seagate recommends getting in touch with Synology support on this for compatibility. Likely it will work, however, it is best to contact their support for further information just in case.
Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming

Return to “Seagate/Maxtor Discussion Room”