DS218+ with USB 3.0 Multi Disk Hard Drive Enclosures

If your question pertains to using an external HDDs or even the USB Copy feature, post it here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
charithp
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS218+ with USB 3.0 Multi Disk Hard Drive Enclosures

Unread post by charithp » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:15 am

Hi folks!

I'm hoping someone can answer a question I have regarding the Synology DiskStation DS218+ 2 Bay NAS and its USB 3.0 compatability with multi disk hard drive enclosures before I buy one. My plan would be to connect an 8 Bay Hotway enclosure I currently have for media to the NAS. So my questions are:
  • Would the nas detect the enclosure and all the disks inside the enclosure seperately?
  • If so, would installing a plex server allow me to use the connected usb enclosure drives as the source of the media?
Hope that makes sense, any help appreciated, thanks!

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: DS218+ with USB 3.0 Multi Disk Hard Drive Enclosures

Unread post by mike42dk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:03 am

Hi

It's a good Q :-)

Some USB enclosures are working as one disk volume (not the same as a DS volume) and others you can only see one disk, and others again you can see servile disks.

If Plex is installed on your DS, then it uses the folder you create under "volume1" and i'm not sure that you can chose the external disk.

I have my Plex running on a Intel NUC, and there I can use any shared folder on my DS to get the films from.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

charithp
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by charithp » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Pulled the trigger anyway and it worked out quite well. So just updating for anyone else wondering. I have two drives in my Hotway enclosure. And the both showed up as seperate volumes which I was able to add to Plex. Works perfectly!

WST16
Versed
Versed

Unread post by WST16 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi,

My experience with stored media on external drives is that the DS will re-index them every time they’re ejected and plugged in again. It seems like it removes the index once it’s ejected.
This is until the latest DSM 6.1. Don’t know about 6.2

I’m using Video Station. I hope Plex deals with it differently.

Try to check it.
DS216+II : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 : Mac user

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Unread post by mike42dk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 am

Hi

I don't believe it has change, the problem is that the external disks, don't keep there "name" when unplugged and plugged back in, so the indexing has to be done. Unless you set the drive not to be indexed, but then you can't use it in DSM apps.

Plex will also run through the library, which makes sense as new media files has to appear in the menu.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

WST16
Versed
Versed

Unread post by WST16 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:55 am

Thank you for confirming mike.

To the original poster:
I forgot to mention that as a result, you also lose your favorites, any play lists you’ve created (unless they’re smart lists) and watched/unwatched status.

I didn’t find it practical and gave up on it. I keep my media files on the DS volume :-(
DS216+II : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 : Mac user

andylau332211
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by andylau332211 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:36 am

I'm having the same issue now. I am wanting to purchase an ICY BOX 4 bay docking station, wondering if it will work.

amracer
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by amracer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:47 pm

It looks like the Synology NAS only recognizes one disk in the IC4 for use. All the disks show up but only one is usable. The rest show as File System Type Not Supported. I connected a Probox and all 4 disks worked fine. All 4 disks work in the IC4 if they are the only ones plugged in.

The difference is the IC4 can be manually turned on with a timer or smart device. The Probox can only be turned on by hitting the physical button on the front panel. If i could combine both features I would have what I need. What i wanted though was to be able to run it on its own timer so that I can limit the time it is running and not needed.

Return to “External Harddrives & USB Flash Drives”