Looking for external drive for DS1517+

If your question pertains to using an external HDDs or even the USB Copy feature, post it here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: for any compatibility issues, please contact from the Synology technical support team:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
rdlm
I'm New!
I'm New!

Looking for external drive for DS1517+

Postby rdlm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I've recently purchased and installed a DS1517+. So far, so good!

I want to buy an external USB 3.0 4TB drive for backing it up. I looked at the official compatibility list (https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility), and none of the six drives listed appear to be available anymore (other than one through a 3rd party seller at a crazy high price). I considered paying the extra for a compatible 5TB or 6TB drive, but there's only one of each listed, and I can't find sellers for them either.

Any suggestions?

Note: As a test, I connected my old 2TB Western DIgital My Book (wdbacw0020hbk-00) that's NTFS formatted and works with my PC, and the Syno doesn't detect it (nothing in External Devices). I'm surprised that there are such compatibility issues with disks. For a vanilla USB drive, I'd have thought standards would ensure compatibility? But it makes me a bit concerned about just buying random drives and hoping they will work.
bubblegum57
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Looking for external drive for DS1517+

Postby bubblegum57 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 pm

rdlm wrote:I've recently purchased and installed a DS1517+. So far, so good!

I want to buy an external USB 3.0 4TB drive for backing it up. I looked at the official compatibility list (https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility), and none of the six drives listed appear to be available anymore (other than one through a 3rd party seller at a crazy high price). I considered paying the extra for a compatible 5TB or 6TB drive, but there's only one of each listed, and I can't find sellers for them either.

Any suggestions?

Note: As a test, I connected my old 2TB Western DIgital My Book (wdbacw0020hbk-00) that's NTFS formatted and works with my PC, and the Syno doesn't detect it (nothing in External Devices). I'm surprised that there are such compatibility issues with disks. For a vanilla USB drive, I'd have thought standards would ensure compatibility? But it makes me a bit concerned about just buying random drives and hoping they will work.

I have a WD 6TB MY Book, & a 5TB Toshiba Canvio connected to my DS414. I have at various times connected other drives via an external enclosure to a usb port. I didn't know there was a compatability list.
rdlm
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rdlm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:48 pm

I found a "Seagate 5TB Backup Plus Desk Storage" drive on sale at the local store, so took a chance and bought it. Works fine!
Model # STDT5000100
seagate_surfer
Beginner
Beginner

Postby seagate_surfer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi rdlm,

thanks for picking an external Seagate drive!
Let us know how this works out for you in the long run... ;)
Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming

Return to “External Harddrives & USB Flash Drives”