Looking for external drive for DS1517+

If your question pertains to using an external HDDs or even the USB Copy feature, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
rdlm
I'm New!
I'm New!

Looking for external drive for DS1517+

Postby rdlm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I've recently purchased and installed a DS1517+. So far, so good!

I want to buy an external USB 3.0 4TB drive for backing it up. I looked at the official compatibility list (https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility), and none of the six drives listed appear to be available anymore (other than one through a 3rd party seller at a crazy high price). I considered paying the extra for a compatible 5TB or 6TB drive, but there's only one of each listed, and I can't find sellers for them either.

Any suggestions?

Note: As a test, I connected my old 2TB Western DIgital My Book (wdbacw0020hbk-00) that's NTFS formatted and works with my PC, and the Syno doesn't detect it (nothing in External Devices). I'm surprised that there are such compatibility issues with disks. For a vanilla USB drive, I'd have thought standards would ensure compatibility? But it makes me a bit concerned about just buying random drives and hoping they will work.
bubblegum57
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Looking for external drive for DS1517+

Postby bubblegum57 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 pm

rdlm wrote:I've recently purchased and installed a DS1517+. So far, so good!

I want to buy an external USB 3.0 4TB drive for backing it up. I looked at the official compatibility list (https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility), and none of the six drives listed appear to be available anymore (other than one through a 3rd party seller at a crazy high price). I considered paying the extra for a compatible 5TB or 6TB drive, but there's only one of each listed, and I can't find sellers for them either.

Any suggestions?

Note: As a test, I connected my old 2TB Western DIgital My Book (wdbacw0020hbk-00) that's NTFS formatted and works with my PC, and the Syno doesn't detect it (nothing in External Devices). I'm surprised that there are such compatibility issues with disks. For a vanilla USB drive, I'd have thought standards would ensure compatibility? But it makes me a bit concerned about just buying random drives and hoping they will work.

I have a WD 6TB MY Book, & a 5TB Toshiba Canvio connected to my DS414. I have at various times connected other drives via an external enclosure to a usb port. I didn't know there was a compatability list.
rdlm
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rdlm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:48 pm

I found a "Seagate 5TB Backup Plus Desk Storage" drive on sale at the local store, so took a chance and bought it. Works fine!
Model # STDT5000100
seagate_surfer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby seagate_surfer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi rdlm,

thanks for picking an external Seagate drive!
Let us know how this works out for you in the long run... ;)
Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming

Return to “External Harddrives & USB Flash Drives”