Connect SATA hard drive to DS216+II via eSATA port + power supply?

If your question pertains to using an external HDDs or even the USB Copy feature, post it here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: for any compatibility issues, please contact from the Synology technical support team:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
mohito
I'm New!
I'm New!

Connect SATA hard drive to DS216+II via eSATA port + power supply?

Postby mohito » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:44 pm

So I want to connect SATA hard drive to NAS via eSATA port. I have SATA to eSATA cable.

But I am still missing power supply for the hard drive. So I was thinking of buying adapter like this (I can take cable to power the adapter and SATA power cable from my old PC):

Does anybody have any experience with adapter like that? And maybe there some is adapter, which is powered from USB port and not from AC socket?
ja666
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Connect SATA hard drive to DS216+II via eSATA port + power supply?

Postby ja666 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:53 pm

I was successful connecting external 3,5'' HDDs to my QNAP 2-bay unit with eSata-Sata ribbon cable and similar power brick (12V+ 5V DC for 3,5'' HDDs). Remember there is IDE (PATA) power connector on your power unit picture, while Sata HDDs have different DC power socket (similar in shape to Sata data socket, but a way longer).

Return to “External Harddrives & USB Flash Drives”