WD1000FYPS-01ZKB 'Green Power 1TB' Drive Woes

"Disk Station Manager 2.0 September Beta highlights a wide range of newly added business features, including RAID 6 volume type, built-in NFS, Link Aggregation, Virtual Host, as well as an extensive scope of function enhancements covering Download Station 2, File Station, Audio Station, Photo Station, Surveillance Station, and many more."
jonandmarkuk
Beginner
Beginner

WD1000FYPS-01ZKB 'Green Power 1TB' Drive Woes

Postby jonandmarkuk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Since upgrading to the Beta firmware I have been having a nightmare of a time with my DS-207+

Within minutes of upgrading DISK1 failed, a reboot made the drive available again and I was able to start a rebuild of the RAID1.

Within days the same thing happened. This time after it rebuilt I performed a Quick and extensive SMART drive test and everything was reported back as fine.

After sending a copy of the Kernal log file Synology said I had a cable fault and to replace the SATA cable to DISK1 (no easy task why trying to find a cable to fit at my local store, nobody has such short angled cables).

I thought that would be the end of it, but yet again this morning the RAID1 crashed. As the SMART information on the drive still comes back fine I'm convinced that it must be a bug in the firmware, or do I spend money on sending the drive back to Western Digital to be replaced when I don;t think it's maybe necessary

Anyone else having crazy issues with drives since the new firmware.

I wish I was able to downgrade the firmware, just to prove if the drive becomes stable again. :twisted:

2 x WD1000FYPS-01ZKB 1TB
Synology DS-207+
jonandmarkuk
Beginner
Beginner

Re: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB 'Green Power 1TB' Drive Woes

Postby jonandmarkuk » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:25 am

No surprise that the drive has crashed again this morning.

As Synology say it's a cable fault and the cable has already been changed it looks like I'll have to go through Western Digital's return policy, although I have no faith in it fixing the issue.
jonandmarkuk
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jonandmarkuk » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:07 pm

I'm currently waiting for a WD RMA on the drive and will post if the new drive works correctly.

If the new drive still has issues then I would definitely think there is a bug in this new firmware.

Interesting thing at the moment is that DISK1 which kept on crashing now no longer shows as a drive in the unit (even though I have not taken it out). Yet the Synology seems to see it as an eSATA drive?

I'm really hoping that the replacement from WD sorts the problem.
Retiarius
Novice
Novice

Postby Retiarius » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:20 pm

Just had disk1 fail on my CS407 running DSM 2.0-0722, WD1000FYPS-01ZKB drive firmware 02.01B01. Loads of "write error at md2 disk1 sector....." but the drive comes up ok after reboot and is available to use to repair the degraded volume. Repair succeeds, but the drive failed again while carrying out the consistancy check.

Running 4x WD1000FYPS-01ZKB drives with a single RAID5 volume. I've already RMA'd one of the drives that possibly failed in my original CS407e (that disk had no errors when put thru the full diagnostic check using Western Digitals Data Lifeguard Tools, but would not come online again in the nas)

Currently running the extended SMART check. Looks like another advance RMA though.

Return to “Beta Disk Station Manager 2.0-0702”