DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Discussion about the hardware (internal HDD/external HDD/USB printer) and software compatibility of Synology product.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
mcoliver88
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:23 pm

DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by mcoliver88 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi

is it possible to upgrade the fans in the synology DS1515+ to ones that are quiet at all?

Thanks
Last edited by mcoliver88 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ds1515+, SHR 26TB, 2GB ram, 2 port link aggregation, Custom Built Windows Server

SDirickson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by SDirickson » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:56 pm

The problem is the thickness; none of the quiet-fan people make 20mm-thick fans. If the box really won't fit a 25mm-thick fan, your choices are very limited. There are a number of 15/20mm PWM fans, but not many 3-wire models. The most likely candidate I've seen is this CoolerMaster unit; I'm sure there are others. But you should check the flow rating of the existing fan; once you get past 30CFM, thin 80mm fans tend to be loud--like, 30-40 dbA and higher.

mcoliver88
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by mcoliver88 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Ok thats helpful thank you. Upon further investigation I found this review:

http://akihabaranews.com/2015/01/06/art ... -379901634

Which contains modifications to the DS1515+, which included swapping out the fans. Unfortunately there is no mesh going over the fans to stop fingers getting trapped in. Not a huge issue, but I don't like the idea.
ds1515+, SHR 26TB, 2GB ram, 2 port link aggregation, Custom Built Windows Server

SDirickson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by SDirickson » Sat May 09, 2015 9:29 pm

Since that 'mod' shows that a 25mm fan will fit, you have lots of options. Though, for your situation (and despite my love of Noctua fans), I'd go with a Noiseblocker M8-S2, which uses rubber noise-dampening corners for the attachment. That allows you to use regular fan mounting screws rather than the Noctua soft-mount rubber-finger things. Which allows you to put a grille/filter assembly on the *outside* of the panel. So you get a much quieter fan without his no-grille approach.

Also: for whatever reason, he shows the fans mounted backwards. AFAIK, all Noctua fans blow *toward* the label, so his fans are pulling air through the box rather than blowing into the box. Maybe he just did that for the photo.

mcoliver88
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by mcoliver88 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Brilliant, Thanks for the help. I have just ordered the advised fan

Fans x2 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprod ... =FG-011-NB
Fan Grill x2 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprod ... =CM-003-SV

Hopefully this will keep my system nice and quiet.

Appreciate the help
Michael
ds1515+, SHR 26TB, 2GB ram, 2 port link aggregation, Custom Built Windows Server

Wolf
Sharp
Sharp
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by Wolf » Tue May 12, 2015 10:15 pm

mcoliver88 wrote:Brilliant, Thanks for the help. I have just ordered the advised fan

Fans x2 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprod ... =FG-011-NB
Fan Grill x2 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprod ... =CM-003-SV

Hopefully this will keep my system nice and quiet.

Appreciate the help
Michael
Can you report temperature before and post mod. Can you also confirm that the mod reduce a lot the noise.

PS.
Yes, Noctua fans blows from the sticker side.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs ... 2&lng=en#5
Router/Firewall pfSense 2.4 - Supermicro A1SRi-2558
AP Netgear R7000 (FW Stock)
Switch Cisco SG350-10
HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH
NAS Synology DS1515+ (5 x WD50EFRX) 16GB RAM
NAS Synology DS213+ (2 x ST3000DM001)
Laptop AlienWare M17xR2

mcoliver88
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by mcoliver88 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Yeah sure waiting for them to turn up :)
ds1515+, SHR 26TB, 2GB ram, 2 port link aggregation, Custom Built Windows Server

runeve
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:47 am

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by runeve » Wed May 27, 2015 8:56 am

mcoliver88, have you received and installed them yet? I'm eager to hear your experience of the new fans, if you are willing to share :-)

joeycarrera
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:16 am

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by joeycarrera » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:20 am

SDirickson wrote: Also: for whatever reason, he shows the fans mounted backwards. AFAIK, all Noctua fans blow *toward* the label, so his fans are pulling air through the box rather than blowing into the box. Maybe he just did that for the photo.
Wolf wrote:
Can you report temperature before and post mod. Can you also confirm that the mod reduce a lot the noise.

PS.
Yes, Noctua fans blows from the sticker side.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs ... 2&lng=en#5
I'm confused. Is the picture correct? Should the sticker (label) side be facing outwards?

Wolf
Sharp
Sharp
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by Wolf » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:23 pm

joeycarrera wrote:
SDirickson wrote: Also: for whatever reason, he shows the fans mounted backwards. AFAIK, all Noctua fans blow *toward* the label, so his fans are pulling air through the box rather than blowing into the box. Maybe he just did that for the photo.
Wolf wrote:
Can you report temperature before and post mod. Can you also confirm that the mod reduce a lot the noise.

PS.
Yes, Noctua fans blows from the sticker side.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs ... 2&lng=en#5
I'm confused. Is the picture correct? Should the sticker (label) side be facing outwards?
The picture is correct, is taken from Official Noctua Site and I own personally a Noctua Fan...
Router/Firewall pfSense 2.4 - Supermicro A1SRi-2558
AP Netgear R7000 (FW Stock)
Switch Cisco SG350-10
HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH
NAS Synology DS1515+ (5 x WD50EFRX) 16GB RAM
NAS Synology DS213+ (2 x ST3000DM001)
Laptop AlienWare M17xR2

SDirickson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by SDirickson » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:29 am

Wolf wrote:
joeycarrera wrote:I'm confused. Is the picture correct? Should the sticker (label) side be facing outwards?
The picture is correct, is taken from Official Noctua Site and I own personally a Noctua Fan...
I don't think that's the question joey asked. We all agree that airflow in Noctua fans is from the non-label side toward the label side. The question (I think) is "is it correct to have the fans pulling air through the box rather than pushing air into the box?" If that's the question, my answer is "no"; propeller axial fans do a better (sometimes a much better) job of creating pressure into a flow-restricted space than they do of creating suction from that space. Plus, filtering the smaller and more-accessible area of the fan intake is much easier than filtering every other external opening in the entire box.

GoodOmens
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:10 am

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by GoodOmens » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:32 am

Any updates on this?

Looking to replace the fans in my 1515+ - too loud idle in comparison to the DS413 it replaced :(

signal
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:28 am

Re: DS1515+ Fan Upgrade

Unread post by signal » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 am

I looked at my fans (80mm just like 1515) in my DS1010+ and they are from the factory blowing are outward (pulling air from the front out the back). So it seems in installing the Noctua he put them in the same orientation as the factory fans. Does someone have information that disagrees with this being the factory orientation?

Locked

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”