DS1618+ and NVMe SSDs!

Check out if your hardware is compatible here!!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Zebble
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS1618+ and NVMe SSDs!

Unread post by Zebble » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:25 am

Hi all,

Just got a DS1618+ and thought I'd try installing an NVMe PCIe adapter and an Intel 600p 512G NVMe SSD. They worked! Recognized as cache-capable as well. Had both parts lying around, so thought it was worth a shot.

I originally looked at the official M2D17 Dual SSD expansion card, but saw that it was only SATA capable, and was a bit pricey.

I am using the Qnine Dual M2 NVMe/SATA adapter ($26USD). I have not tried 2 NVMe's yet. I'll see if I can snag another 600p 512G to match what I have and will do some testing. I'm sure the 600p won't have the best performance, so would be interesting if anyone else tries this config with faster NVMe's.

mod note: shop link removed

Thought this was interesting and could be a faster option than Synology's own M2D17.

Hope this helps someone...

(FYI, the Qnine adapter also supports M2 SATA drives, but exposes them as SATA connectors on the card which can't really be used with the Synology. This config would be an NVMe-only option.)

Zebble
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1618+ and NVMe SSDs!

Unread post by Zebble » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:25 am

Slight correction. The Qnine Dual card actually has a single NVMe slot, and a single SATA slot. Still, works well with the NVMe drive. They have a single NVMe slot version that might make more sense in this instance.

For a dual NVMe card, I wonder if this SuperMicro card will work?

http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... G3-2M2.cfm

I'm sure there are other options...

Return to “Hardware Compatibility Lists”