DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
mipevo6
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Unread post by mipevo6 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:33 am

mipevo6 wrote:Ok My December 2016 1815+ has died.

Powers itself off, now wont come back on at all.

No reaction to power button. tried a different cord, nothing, unplugged all the discs, nothing...

Logged a case with Synology...

Very not impressed with how many of these fail....

Martin
Had to send my unit back it was received on Monday of this week.

I assume they will be sending me a new/refurb unit back.

Is the expectation that the unit has had the issues resolved, or will it likely have the same issue as the previous unit?

Cheers

Martin

macwn
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Unread post by macwn » Fri May 04, 2018 1:57 am

I received a clean unit, with scratches but no strange smell, so at least they are wiping them down before shipping. It makes me wonder what some people do with their DS other than just sit it down and leave it alone. The serial I sent them started with 1640x and I received a 1511x, so maybe that means 2015 January, according to some previous posts. At any rate they did not include a power cord, despite me following their RMA instructions for a cc hold and returning all original items in the box. They make it so hard for people to like them and I don't know why. ugh. I have no power cord.
DiskStation DS1815+ | DSM 6.2-23739 Update 1

Synology Since 2006
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Synology Since 2006 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:42 pm

My DS1815+ experienced the same "Zero Life" symptoms described by everyone else. It was purchased new in 10/4/2016 so I picked the Advanced RMA option and let them authorize a $799.99 charge on my CC so they would pre-ship the replacement unit. I will update this thread when the unit arrives.

*Note - I've been running Synology NASes for a long time and have several installed as file servers (12-bay racks) at various client's offices. During the last 12 years, I've only had to replace 1 fan and 1 power transformer in more than a dozen units. The incredible reliability has always been one of the reasons I've stuck with Synology. I have to admit, I am somewhat disappointed in the way they are handling what would be appear to be a systemically defective product. It would have been nice if they overnighted a replacement F.O.C. (free of charge) instead of making it a $50 option.

coop777
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by coop777 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Hard to argue the disappointment - all of us whom experienced this feel that business class technology should be more stable. That said, things happen and the Atom processor failure (if that is what it was) was not limited to just Synology - it was a widespread issue. I was more disappointed in repeated contact to get the RMA process moving. The 1 year warranty extension was at least an attempt to smooth things over. On the whole, other than this failure I am happy with Synology products and will continue to use them.

Tim Tielens
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Tim Tielens » Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Well it's official, my DS1515+ failed on me last night.
It completely stalled and I had to do a hard reset.
After which it worked but stalled again after 4 hours, now i can't get anything out of it.

Just orange led flashing, no activity whatsoever, with disks, without disks, tried everything.

Bought mine 27 march 2015, so i don't think i'm going to be lucky on the 3 year warranty part :roll:

seePyou
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by seePyou » Sun May 13, 2018 7:25 pm

My DS1815+ just died today, and I have opened a ticket, but no reply so far, after six hours.
I don't know how Synology will diagnose the unit dead in the CPU or PSU level, so I wonder what they will do, if they ever get back to me that is. I don't know why it after six hours I still do not have a reply to a support ticket. Category is even "Hardware/Spare Part Failure (Power Adapter/Supply Failure)" which should be able to be filtered, no? So it can be given some priority? Anyway, I will report back on what happened, my serial started with 1650.

polanat
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by polanat » Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 am

seePyou wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:25 pm
I don't know how Synology will diagnose the unit dead in the CPU or PSU level, so I wonder what they will do
Here is the answer - https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... constantly
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U

seePyou
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by seePyou » Mon May 14, 2018 3:21 pm

No flashing, did not flash, nor did it do anything with everything detached (HDDs, network). It's dead. Support did reply today and said it is the known C2000 issue. They also offered to replace it.

Elsewhere in this forum it is specified that the replacement is working with the same chip, except they add a resistor on the board. I still have not read everything there, but it looks like the practice is frowned upon by the user community.

All I know is that I will take lots of pictures before the RMA and see what comes back.

schugh
Trainee
Trainee

How many of you have had issues with power supply?

Unread post by schugh » Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 am

I bought an 1815+ close to 3 years ago now I think.
The first one died about a year after I got it.
Now the replacement unit appears to be almost done as a week ago and yesterday and again today
I get several emails about "the server restarted unexpectedly".

I've opened a ticket with synology support and sent them the system logs but they just want me to RMA it again.
But now I'm nervous it's going to happen again in another year.
It's plugged into a cyberlink UPS.

Meanwhile my older 7 year old 411+ is just perfectly working fine.

Just wondering how common is it for the power supply to fail. Or should I be investigating something else.
But I don't know what else could cause this issue. It's been fine until just last weekend.

schugh
Trainee
Trainee

Re: How many of you have had issues with power supply?

Unread post by schugh » Sun May 20, 2018 5:22 am

Thanks. Wasn't aware of that issue.
After some more sudden reboots today it has finally died.
I think it lasted close to two years this time.
I've already called in for RMA. Hope they ship the replacement soon.
Pretty disappointing though that Synology didn't properly acknowledge and offer a permanent solution for this (or so it appears from reading that other thread).

seePyou
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by seePyou » Wed May 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Following up on my experience, I was told by support that a new system with a replaced/fixed chip will be shipped. Let's see :)

seePyou
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by seePyou » Thu May 31, 2018 10:43 am

I have the DS1815+ back!

It seems to be a completely new unit, not a pot of dust or scratch on it. Completely sealed too, but I guess that doesn't say much as Synology could seal them up. However, the level of cleanliness does suggest no prior use at all.

The MAC addresses are different to mine, as is the serial number. Mine started with 165, this one starts with 157.

There is no visible resistor on the board without taking it completely apart, which I did not, but there are differences on the board that I could see.

Difference one: https://snag.gy/rP4Z5V.jpg
This shows my original on the left, and the replacement on the right.
Bottom right side of the board, which is located on the left side of the box (as the drives look at you and the ports in the back are hidden). These connectors are without any soldering in my original model, while the replacement has then all soldered.

Difference two: https://snag.gy/OvE15e.jpg
Inside the chassis, to the left of the first hard disk bay, one capacitor is different. Red one is my new one, blue was in the old one. The lettering reads: red one - FP, 52Ch, 101, 16, blue one - FP5K, 48Ch, 101, 16

The unit is up and running, migration was surprisingly fast.
However, the unit came with a different IP scheme to the one used in my house. All four ports had a 169.254.xxx.xxx scheme with all of them on the /16 subnet. That I found out by downloading the Synology Assistant.

I use a 192.168.1.0/24 so the process to set it up was not a clean one.

Plug a temporary disk into the Synology, power it on, switch IP in one computer to get a 169.254.0.0/16 address different to the four ports of the chassis, login to the box, get asked to install and realize you do not have access to the internet bcause of course not, your computer is no longer part of your network so it doesn't see the router. Switch back to the old IP scheme on your computer, download the DSM and then switch back to the 169.254.0.0/16 to talk to the box again. Then it installs it all.

Great, switch the box to the proper IP scheme of the house and switch the PC back too. Close up everything and install the disks. Power it back on and... lose it. It's nowhere to be found. Run the Synology Assistant again, and see that it has again gone to 169.254.0.0/16 (facepalm).

Switch your IP again, connect to it and get asked to install (which was frightening but part of the instructions, but why did I then have to use the temp disk and install in the first place?) and then choose "migrate" (OK, would have preferred to see the Migrate before the Install, but OK...). Now, because it migrated successfully, you do not talk to it again, because it migrated the settings too, so the unit switched to the 192.168.1.0/24 again!!!!...

Switch back to your house IP scheme and now you see it. And it works...

I wonder if the Synology Assistant could not have assisted me in changing the IP ports of the DS1815+ to the house scheme so I would not have to do much of that. At no point in the Synology KB article was any IP switching advised or suggested or guided. If I did not know networking principles, what would have happened?

mikebu
I'm New!
I'm New!

My DS1515+ died

Unread post by mikebu » Thu May 31, 2018 7:28 pm

My DS1515+ died the other night. Woke up to it dead and unresponsive to the power button. I've had it two years and it is still under warranty. Created a support ticket and they authorized a RMA and I paid for overnight shipping and got the replacement unit the next day.

I updated the new unit's DSM to match the dead units version. Then moved the disks from the old unit to the new unit along with the memory. I didn't have a backup of anything.

Crossed my fingers and it powered up just fine with no data loss.

Can anyone recommend a external 10tb disk I can use for a backup?

cieven
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by cieven » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 am

Yet another dead 1815+, still under warranty...

Is there any news on the root cause ? Is it the DSM version, the intel Atom CPU, the MoBo or simply the P/S ?
The only way to recover is via RMA ? Has simply replacing the power supply worked for anybody ?

Thanks !

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”