Request help choosing UPS

Discussion about the hardware (internal HDD/external HDD/USB printer) and software compatibility of Synology product.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
jsragman33
I'm New!
I'm New!

Request help choosing UPS

Postby jsragman33 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm requesting help/ guidance choosing a UPS battery backup. I have a DS214play and a ds209. I plan on getting a 4 bay when the money is right. I am interested in implementing the following setup. The DS214 play and my WIN10 desktop PC backed up by the ups in the event of a power failure. Backing up the modem router wouldbe nice also. I don't need to run them, I just want them both to auto shutdown after about 10 minutes of no power. Auto wakeup for the DS214play and modem would be amazing once power is restored. My hangup is getting both the NAS and the PC to work when there appears to be only one usb port on the UPS available. I have read about winnut but that solution looks more involved than I would care for. Is a UPS network card the best solution? Can I use a usb splitter? Is a static IP necessary. Would the modem just be controlled by one of the outlets on the ups? I'm looking for a path forward before I spend the money.
Squozen
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Request help choosing UPS

Postby Squozen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm

You cannot use a USB splitter. :D

Winnut is the sensible solution as there's also configuration required on the PC to talk to a network management card. The 10-15 minutes it will take to get things working with the Synology network UPS server are well worth the hundreds of dollars extra you'll pay for a card and a UPS capable of using it.
polanat
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby polanat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm

jsragman33 wrote:My hangup is getting both the NAS and the PC to work when there appears to be only one usb port on the UPS available. I have read about winnut but that solution looks more involved than I would care for

You may use just one Synology-USB-comptible UPS for both your NAS's (Network UPS Support) and a PC (winnut)

jsragman33 wrote:Is a UPS network card the best solution?

In theory - yes (SNMP UPS Support), but for your case Network UPS Support is more than enough ))

jsragman33 wrote:Can I use a usb splitter?

Definitely, NOT for UPS

jsragman33 wrote:Is a static IP necessary

If you mean internal (not external) - the answer is YES

jsragman33 wrote:Would the modem just be controlled by one of the outlets on the ups?

The modem can also work on batteries for some limited time, but there is no much sense in it

PS "Network UPS Support

If there are two Synology products using a UPS device with a single USB port, then only one Synology NAS can obtain information regarding the status of the UPS device. In this case, one Synology NAS can act as a "network UPS server" and connect to the UPS device via USB or network (depending on the device). The network UPS server obtains UPS information and relays it to the other "client" Synology NAS." Synology Help®
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U
jsragman33
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jsragman33 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Would I assign the internal static IP at the router or on the NAS/PC? I'm seeing that winnut can be a good idea. Would powerchute or the cyberpower software do the same thing as winnut?
PaulS
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby PaulS » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 pm

No need for any networking nonsense in your case: 1 NAS + 1 UPS = plug it up and see if the NAS recognizes it. If DSM sees it, you're basically done.
polanat
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby polanat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:09 am

jsragman33 wrote:Would I assign the internal static IP at the router or on the NAS/PC?

The best way is to bind your internal static IP's to the respective MAC-addresses on the router. You may also make them static on a NAS level, but still keep IP-MAC binding on the router.

jsragman33 wrote:I'm seeing that winnut can be a good idea

Yes, at the same network you may use PC's (attached to the same UPS even via power strips) and laptops (with good batteries NOT attached to the same UPS) provided your UPS is capable to accommodate all your NAS's and PC's.

jsragman33 wrote:Would powerchute or the cyberpower software do the same thing as winnut?

No, basically such software is designed for just one PC directly attached to UPS by ether USB or COM port.
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U
jsragman33
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jsragman33 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:18 am

Thank you for all the advice. I'm going to go with the cyberpower CP850PFCLCD since I just need it to stay on long enough to do a proper shut down.
jsragman33
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jsragman33 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 pm

So I ordered the CP1000PFCLCD from Provantage today. I've been up and down the NUT website and it's a bit vague to me. Would someone kindly point me to the download link for WinNut or equivalent with a GUI that works for Windows 10? I called Cyberpower and the voice on the other end said Powerpanel won't do what I'm looking for.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”