Family Tree Package

Can not find somewhere to post your question? Or want to test your signature, avator, links? Post it here. Thanks!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
Sharp
Sharp

Family Tree Package

Postby 2326766 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:42 am

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good family tree software that can be installed on the NAS with the following reqirements:

1. PHP driven
2. Web Based
3. Mysql or sqlite
4. LDAP Authentication
5. Multimedia Gallery
6. Google Maps

I currently use Webtrees (http://webtrees.net).

Mike
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Family Tree Package

Postby 2326766 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Is it possible for Synology or a 3rd party enthusiast to make a package for Webtrees (webtrees.net)?

This appears to be one of the better and free Family Tree applications out there.

With some of the Synology community support maybe it can be brought to a new level of superiority by including LDAP and other features provided by the DS NAS.

Thanks
kenjiswb
Trainee
Trainee

Postby kenjiswb » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Did you ever get an answer to this? I would be kool.
Pernod
Versed
Versed

Postby Pernod » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:29 pm

2326766 wrote:Is it possible for Synology or a 3rd party enthusiast to make a package for Webtrees (webtrees.net)?

It would be very simple to create a package for this, but installation is easy (just extract webtrees into your web folder), so what additional benefits would you expect from having a package?
SwissCenter Developer
Synology DS412+ / DSM 5.2-5565 Update 1 / 3xST3000DM001 (SHR)
zandhaas
Experienced
Experienced

Postby zandhaas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:32 pm

After reading this thread yesterday I had installed the tool within 15 minutes.
The biggest problem is to figure out the best way to add all the information.
So I someone has tips to add my familie tree until the year 1325 that I have documented in a word document until now.
DS710+ DSM 5.1-5021 + 2 * WD20EARS
DS213+ DSM 5.1-5021 + 2 * ST2000DM001-9YN1
sjoch
Trainee
Trainee

Postby sjoch » Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 am

Depends on how you have it written down in the document.

If you edit it into a textfile/csv file, it might be possible to import it somehow.
But when you should really have had a .GED file with all the data inside, and import that into the family tree package/addon.
Most genealogy softwares and packages have support for .GED database files.

In many cases it is easier to just add them again one by one. Spend a few weeks with that, and at the same time you have the possibillity to doublecheck if you find problems in the old document file.
Sharp
Sharp

Postby 2326766 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:08 pm

[quote="Pernod"]It would be very simple to create a package for this, but installation is easy (just extract webtrees into your web folder), so what additional benefits would you expect from having a package?[/quote]

Yes, I have done the install and it is easy.
The benefits of a package is the one-click update option.

A mobile app for ios and android would be a nice addition as well for on the go updating.
jkgilson
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jkgilson » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Im new to this. Does anyone have a step by step?
Steve1200
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Steve1200 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:03 am

Did you ever get an answer to your question? If you are still interested I found a package that runs very nicely on a Synology DIsk Station. The software is called TNG and it works really great although I'm still learning. They have pretty good instructions but there are a couple of things you need to do on the NAS to make it work.
http://www.tngsitebuilding.com/index.php
I am writing currently step by step instructions for the installation. Let me know...
jkgilson
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jkgilson » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:43 pm

I never got a response. Thank you i would love a step by step.
Steve1200
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Steve1200 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Prepare the Synology NAS for TNG installation

Before installing TNG software read this file completely before you start. Make sure you have the correct software and know where your files are located on your NAS.

Install the following Synology packages
Web Station
phpMyAdmin. (Note phpMyAdmin will automatically install MyMariaDB)

After installing both packages start MyMariaDB
The user name will be root but you will need to create a password
The MyMariaDB username and password is the same one you use for phpMyAdmin

Login to phpMyAdmin using the username root and your MyMariaDB password.

Select the User Account tab

Select the Add User Account option

On the user account page enter the user name, host name and password.
The user name is the name you want to give your TNG database. This database name will be the username for TNG to access the database.

For the Host Name option, select local from the pull down menu.

Enter a password you want to use for your database and re-type to confirm. This is the password TNG will use to access the database. It IS NOT the MyMariaDB password.

Check the box Create database with same name

Check the Global privileges Check all box to grant all privileges (Privileges can be changed later)

Scroll down and select if you want to use security such as SSL (I like SSL but it’s not required)

When finished select the Go button at the lower right of the screen

The database is created and ready so Close phpMyAdmin

Extract the TNG files to your Synology NAS
Now you will need to go to your Windows or MAC. Hopefully you set up NFS so your computers have LAN access to your NAS.

The installation of Web Station creates a shared folder called “web” on the Synology NAS. This folder used for various web pages you create. It is best to keep each software package in a unique folder. For example if you install Synology WordPress software, the installation creates a WordPress folder inside the web folder automatically.

So now you need to create a folder inside the web folder to install TNG.
When you name this folder, keep in mind the folder name will be used in your URL to access to TNG. So if you name the folder badstuff your URL will be http://www.[yourdomainname]/badstuff.

Extract the TNG.zip file to the new folder you just created for TNG. When finished there should be about 19 TNG folders and over 400 php files.

Setup your Synology NAS to point to your TNG web page

Login to DSN and go to web station

Select Virtual Host

Select Create

Enter your TNG folder name for the host.

Select which port you want to use otherwise leave the default.
(Note you do not need to change the default port from 80 even if you selected SSL during the phpMyAdmin database creation. Change this port only if you understand how to alter NAS port access to the web)

Use the browse button and select the TNG folder you created

Select OK to save your changes when complete.

Install the TNG Program and Database

To start the TNG installation you must navigate to your new web page

To run locally type the NAS IP address followed by /[TNGFOLDERNAME]
So it looks something like 192.168.1.15/[TNGFOLDERNAME]

To run or check web access, start your browser and enter: http://www.[yourdomainname]/[tngfoldername] or
http://[yourdomainname]/[tngfoldername] depending on how you setup your web access.

The TNG readme page should appear. If the page does not appear check you spelling and IP address. If you used web access try checking the virtual host port and make sure your firewall or router does not block access to the access port. Do not use the Synology QuickConnect feature because it connects to DSM not your web pages.

Once the TNG readme page appears follow the on screen directions until you reach changing file permissions. Synology does not allow TNG to change permissions so you must change them manually. Do not close the TNG install page here just open additional pages, if necessary, so you can return here to complete the installation.

Change TNG File Permissions

Changing file permissions is not difficult but you should be careful. You must use additional software to make the changes. There are a number of software options but PuTTY works well so I will use PuTTY for this example.

Now you need to know where to go to change your file permissions, so login to your disk station. Select the main menu which is the four boxes at the upper left. Now start storage manager then select volume. The screen at the right shows you the name you gave your disk volume which is usually volume1. If you setup multiple volumes you need to find which contains the Web Station folder. Open the control panel and select Shared Folder. Locate the folder web and under this folder is the volume on which it is located. (This info will be used later)

Download PuTTY and install on your computer.

Although it is not a requirement you should check your router and make sure internet access to your SSH port(s) is/are disabled. If a mischievous person gets on one of your SSH ports they can wreak havoc on your system up to the point of denying you access or disabling your machine.

Login to your Synology Disk Station and go to control panel

At the bottom of the tree (left side) select Terminal & SNMP

Check Enable SSH service

Change the port to 24 (I do not use 22 as it is the default port) and then select apply

Enabling SSH allows access to the internal workings of your Synology NAS. It is important to restrict access to the SSH port to prevent intrusions while it is enabled on your NAS.

Start PuTTY on your local computer. When PuTTY starts you will see the following screen. Do not worry about the categories on the left.

Enter the IP of your NAS on your local network. Which will probably something similar to 192.168.1.xx

Change the PuTTY port to 24 to match your NAS port

Make sure the connection type is SSH

You do not need to make any other changes to PuTTY

Select the Open button at the bottom.

If you connect, you will see the PuTTY screen which displays login as:

You must login with your Synology administrator account name and password.

Once you are logged in you will not have enough access so type sudo –i
And it will ask for your password again so re-type your administrator password. Now you have the correct permissions to make changes.

Go to the correct folder by typing
cd /[VOLUME]/[WEBFOLDER]/[TNGFOLDER]
The command will look something like “cd /volume1/web/badstuff”
Note it is all lower case and there is a space between cd and /volume.
If you do not leave a space you won’t change directories and you will get the “no such folder” error message. (Syntax is very important in here)

If you have done this correctly PuTTY will display something like
“root@[your diskstationname]:/volume1/web/youfoldername”

Now you are in the right place to change file permissions. You must give the following files read/write permissions: adminlog.txt, config.php, genlog.txt, importconfig.php, logconfig.php, mapconfig.php, pedconfig.php, subroot.php, templateconfig.php and whatsnew.txt

Enter the following commands and press enter after each entry: (If you make a mistake PuTTY will let you know)
chmod 666 adminlog.txt
chmod 666 config.php
chmod 666 genlog.txt
chmod 666 importconfig.php
chmod 666 logconfig.php
chmod 666 mapconfig.php
chmod 666 pedconfig.php
chmod 666 subroot.php
chmod 666 templateconfig.php
chmod 666 whatsnew.txt

The next set of files photos, histories, documents, headstones, media, gedcom, gendex and backups folders requires additional permissions. Note that TNG says 755 might work but it does not work on a Synology NAS correctly so use 777 instead.
Enter the following commands and press enter after each entry:
chmod 777 photos
chmod 777 histories
chmod 777 documents
chmod 777 headstones
chmod 777 media
chmod 777 gedcom
chmod 777 gendex
chmod 777 backups

If PuTTY excepted your commands then type exit and press enter to get out of the admin mode. Enter exit again and press enter again and close PuTTY.

Login to your disk station and go to control panel and select Terminal & SNMP and uncheck the SSH box and select apply. This stops your SSH port access.

Now your permissions are set and you can continue with the Readme instructions to complete your TNG installation. When installation is complete exit and restart your web browser. Enter http://www.[yourdomainname]/[tngfoldername] and the TNG page should appear. Select settings and then the diagnostics tab. Scroll down and check the status of each line. If any lines show a yellow or red warning check the warning information to determine the corrective action. If you entered the permissions correctly you will not see any warnings.

After you have TNG set you might decide to install a large GEDCOM, be patient because it may take a while.

Once installed contact TNG or check their WIKI pages for help and information.

Good Luck,

Return to “Others & Testing”