Single drive content from Raid 5/6

Can not find somewhere to post your question? Or want to test your signature, avator, links? Post it here. Thanks!
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
Indianx
I'm New!
I'm New!

Single drive content from Raid 5/6

Unread post by Indianx » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi,

I had 9 drive Raid 6 setup on Synolgy 2415 12 bay Nas Storage setup. I have deleted the raid and resetted the NAS and sold the NAS and 4 drives from bay 2,3,4 and 5. I kept the rest.

I completely forgot but i was wondering since I have not formated or securely deleted the data on those 4 drives is it for the other person possible to read or recover any files on those 4 drives? Can he find out what was on it? Any Filename readable from single drives?

Just want to know if anyone can find what was on those 4 drives out of 9 drives raid 6 setup. Iam also not sure if encryption was enabled.

Thanks

drabisan
Guru
Guru

Re: Single drive content from Raid 5/6

Unread post by drabisan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:06 pm

No way to recover anything just from 5 out of 9 drives! (from your description you sold 4, so you're left with 5)
You MAY (big big question mark) be able to read inod table to see file names. But recovering anything from 5 drives (no matter if radi5 or 6) it's impossible!

Return to “Others & Testing”