How to fully check network functionality of Synology DS916+

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
banzi
I'm New!
I'm New!

How to fully check network functionality of Synology DS916+

Unread post by banzi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:21 pm

First of all, let me show the network topology a bit:

Cable modem <-> Ubiquiti USG 3P Gateway <-> Linksys SRW2024 Switch with LACP <-> Synology DS916+ with Bonded Network

The synology runs Docker with an Ubiquiti Unifi software to manage the USG (and a few accesspoints)
The synology runs DNS server, to be able to access internal LAN things.

Problem encountered:
Every 2 hours, the network "drops" and I have no ability to browse internet. The Unifi software shows the USG has disconnected and reconnected within 1 minute.

Narrowed the problem:
1 - When I run a continuous ping from a PC to google, this doesn't drop. Neither does a continuous ping to the USG gateway.
While browsing the internet is blocked (for a few minutes), this lets me believe it is the DNS server which is not operational anymore.
2 - I've contacted Ubiquiti about the issue (as I see disconnects within their mangement software). They have retrieved all logfiles and couldn't find anything. Lastly, they asked me to put the Unifi software on a seperate machine. So when I install it on a NUC, the management software doesn't show the drops each 2 hours anymore. This lets me believe it is not a Ubiquiti issue, but rather a Synology issue.

I had contacted Synology before, but they couldn't find anything in their logs either.

What can I do to narrow the issue even more?

Return to “Remote Access and Network Management”