Proxy server to block downloads

Can not find somewhere to post your question? Or want to test your signature, avator, links? Post it here. Thanks!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
turncloud
I'm New!
I'm New!

Proxy server to block downloads

Postby turncloud » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:30 am

I have a requirement to block particular file type downloads (say .COM, .SH, .EXE) and wondered whether a Synology could do this, since we use them for all sorts of other things.

I notice that there is an official Proxy server package but it isn't what you'd call feature rich. I need something that will not only examine HTTP requests but also HTTPS, across various platforms - Windows, MacOS and Ubuntu clients.
I have a feeling that Squidguard and Squid can do this and I have come across a Squidguard Beta in third party packages, but has anyone else done something similar?

Simon

Return to “Others & Testing”