Synology Text Editor - format for Windows notepad?

Can not find somewhere to post your question? Or want to test your signature, avator, links? Post it here. Thanks!
Forum rules
1) On 12/25, Synology Forums will be getting a new layout. During this time, content will still be accessible but you will be unable to make new threads and posts.

2) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

3) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
zippydan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Synology Text Editor - format for Windows notepad?

Postby zippydan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 am

I notice that when I create a file in Synology's "Text Editor" application (via the web interface), that if I try to open the file in Windows Notepad, it loses all line breaks.

I assume this is because Synology is using Linux encoding, whereas Notepad uses Windows encoding for line breaks.

Is there a way I can save a file in Synology's Text Editor which will allow it to be legibly read in Windows Notepad? I've tried various of the encoding options, and one seems to resolve the problem.
akahan
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Synology Text Editor - format for Windows notepad?

Postby akahan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Are you wedded to Notepad? If you open the file in Wordpad (also a standard Windows program) instead, it should interpret the line breaks as intended.
zippydan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby zippydan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm not personally wedded to Notepad, but my users' systems are, in that Notepad is the default application for *.txt files.

I could change that, but really, why should I have to?

I'm betting that the vast majority of Synology users (and by that I mean anyone who accesses a Synology file share) are Windows users. Even though Synology runs on Linux, it seems to me that they should be catering to, or at least have the option to cater to, Windows users.

It just seems common sense to me that the Text Editor should have a Windows-friendly option.

And yes, I know I can use Wordpad, or Notepad++, or MS Word to open these text files, but again, for 99% of Windows users, Notepad is their default text app, and a user-friendly device like a Synology server should be aimed at compatibility with the most common defaults.
akahan
Skilled
Skilled

Postby akahan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:58 pm

I agree with you 100% - just trying to provide a solution to your issue, as i don't think it's possible to get the Synology editor to save in a Windows-friendly manner.
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby cfuttrup » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi zippydan

I think text files on the DiskStation follows the Unix and Linux standard with a single-character linefeed (LF), which Windows Notepad does not, it uses two characters CR + LF, which is Microsoft standard. I think asking DiskStation to convert to CR-LF standard is a bad idea. Therefore I think when you ask "why change from Notepad" is obvious - because Noteped doesn't interpret your DiskStation txt files correctly - that's why.

/Claus

Return to “Others & Testing”