How to create an image of a ext4 partition

Can not find somewhere to post your question? Or want to test your signature, avator, links? Post it here. Thanks!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
daydreamer
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to create an image of a ext4 partition

Postby daydreamer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi,

I want to create an image of one ext4 partition of an external backup unit. The partition is not encrypted.
I put the drive on a Ubuntu computer. The drive was recognized but when I wanted to launch the imaging process, I got asked for a password to read the partition. It did not ask for a username. I tried the root password but that did not work.
Does anyone know how to bypass this or simply how to create an exact image of the ext4 partition?
Thanks!
rony albert
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: How to create an image of a ext4 partition

Postby rony albert » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:12 pm

I think it might render the compatibility issue before processing!
DiseaseDrugs
Last edited by rony albert on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubblegum57
Sharp
Sharp

Re: How to create an image of a ext4 partition

Postby bubblegum57 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:59 pm

daydreamer wrote:Hi,

I want to create an image of one ext4 partition of an external backup unit. The partition is not encrypted.
I put the drive on a Ubuntu computer. The drive was recognized but when I wanted to launch the imaging process, I got asked for a password to read the partition. It did not ask for a username. I tried the root password but that did not work.
Does anyone know how to bypass this or simply how to create an exact image of the ext4 partition?
Thanks!

Clonezilla? or use an external dual bay dock?

Return to “Others & Testing”