How to wipe a drive removed from SHR volume on Windows PC?

Can not find somewhere to post your question? Or want to test your signature, avator, links? Post it here. Thanks!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
mikelat
I'm New!
I'm New!

How to wipe a drive removed from SHR volume on Windows PC?

Postby mikelat » Fri May 05, 2017 7:48 pm

I have 6 Seagate 3TB drives that used to be in my DS1815 in SHR config. I've replaced them all with 8TB drives but as I upgraded in place, I did not wipe the drives. I have a USB connector to hook up to my PC but windows just sees a drive with 0 space and can't initialize the disk to assign a drive letter, so none of my disk wiping tools work. Is there any guidance on how to take a drive from SHR volume and have it acccesible from Windows to wipe it? I don't care about the data, just want to wipe the drive. Thanks!
seagate_surfer
Beginner
Beginner

Re: How to wipe a drive removed from SHR volume on Windows PC?

Postby seagate_surfer » Mon May 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Hello Mike, this is the Seagate Forums Team! It looks like you're going to need to format the drive in order to be able to use it. This will erase the data but should solve the problem. You can find instructions to format drives here. Let us know how this works out for you!
Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming
mikelat
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: How to wipe a drive removed from SHR volume on Windows PC?

Postby mikelat » Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 am

seagate_surfer wrote:Hello Mike, this is the Seagate Forums Team! It looks like you're going to need to format the drive in order to be able to use it. This will erase the data but should solve the problem. You can find instructions to format drives here. Let us know how this works out for you!

Thanks for the reply, but the problem was that windows couldn't mount/initialize the drive so it couldn't format it. I had to use a bootable USB with linux on it to be able to wipe the drive partitions and then Windows could initialize the disk and I was able to wipe it.

Return to “Others & Testing”