Auto copy certain extensions for photo station

Can not find somewhere to post your question? Or want to test your signature, avator, links? Post it here. Thanks!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
bsung
Beginner
Beginner

Auto copy certain extensions for photo station

Postby bsung » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am

Could someone please advise on how to use command line to find and copy all files with a specific extension and copy that to another folder? I've tried many variations I've found online that use "find". However, I get errors usually saying cpio command not found. I don't know enough about linux and synology to know whether everything I read online should be applicable on a synology nas or not.

Basically, I save both raw NEF files along with JPG when taking photos. For various reasons I don't want to use the default "photo" share as permanent storage of my photos. Instead I store them elsewhere. But I'd like to have a script that I could run from the task scheduler which searches through a folder to find all files with jpg extension and copies them to the photo share while keeping the same folder structure.

I'd consider myself a novice with linux and competent with synology. So I've been able to schedule some basic scripts using task scheduler but that's about it.
Steve1200
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Auto copy certain extensions for photo station

Postby Steve1200 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Another way to accomplish this is enable NFS so Windows or the OS you are using has access to the Synology shared file folders on your local network.

Then use Synology Assistant to map the folders you want to access from your local machine. Once you map the folder and assign a drive letter, you can access the folder as if it were a local drive. You can use any number of utilities to find, delete, copy or move the files including command line or batch files.
sincarne
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby sincarne » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Steve1200 wrote:Another way to accomplish this is enable NFS so Windows or the OS you are using has access to the Synology shared file folders on your local network.

Then use Synology Assistant to map the folders you want to access from your local machine. Once you map the folder and assign a drive letter, you can access the folder as if it were a local drive. You can use any number of utilities to find, delete, copy or move the files including command line or batch files.

y NFS instead of SMB on windows!?
bsung
Beginner
Beginner

Postby bsung » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions but I was hoping to set up a script that runs independently on the NAS periodically so that I don't have to leave my computer on in order to keep my photo share updated. I assume running on the NAS would also be faster since files aren't going back and forth across ethernet. I already have a simple batch file I've written to do this from my desktop. Unfortunately translating into linux seems to be a difficult task.
Steve1200
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Steve1200 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 pm

I'm hard wired using cat7 so I don't notice any speed issues.
Maybe this link will help;
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=107142

Return to “Others & Testing”