Disappointed by DS214play transcoding

Questions regarding media streaming across varied protocols, including UPnP/DLNA/CIFS can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
wijmaar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Disappointed by DS214play transcoding

Postby wijmaar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:16 am

Hi all,

I have my DS214play up and running since yesterday. I fiddled around with the video transcoding, and I have to say I am a bit disappointed. :(

Videostation

I installed the app on my iPhone and iPad, but I can only play three quarters of the files I tried. Some files trigger the message that the format is not supported, others start but never get pas the loading phase. A bit disappointing so to say.

Media Server - DLNA Playstation 3

My playstation plays only half the files I tried playing using mediaserver and DLNA. For some files the playstation says that the file format is not supported (e.g. a DivX avi.... :o ), others do load but never start playing.

I have to say I expected more of this. I'm afraid this is mainly caused by the fact that mediaserver doesn't support transcoding anymore, am I right? Synology confirmed this a while ago, I think they said it was a licensing issue. Videostation says it does support transcoding, but as far as I know this doesn't help when streaming to DLNA devices.

I'm afraid I have to wait for a 3rd party package (like plex or XBMC) to fully take advantage of the Evansport using DLNA... Anyone can confirm this?

I am anxious to hear how other experience the transcoding capabilities of the DS214play, and would like to know if I am doing somehting wrong.
uahero
Student
Student

Re: Disappointed by DS214play transcoding

Postby uahero » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Are you sure that transcoding is ON? Described symptoms are exactly same for no transcoding at all
DS111, DSM 5.2 -> AirPort Extreme + Telia fiber 100/10 -> WDTV Live, PS3, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini, iPhones 5S and 6
bkdekker
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bkdekker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi there, any luck with Media Server transcoding w/PS3? I'm holding out on upgrading from my ds112j until I hear if this will work on the new ds214play :?

Thanks!
marcosero
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby marcosero » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:03 pm

I am interested too. I'd like to know if it can transcode for xbox 360/xbox one, which as far as I know they work like the ps3.
SparrowHawk
Sharp
Sharp

Postby SparrowHawk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:55 pm

I wouldn't bother with the Ds214play or any other Plex capable NAS. I've been following the 'transcoding discussions' for a while and there simply are too many 'what ifs'.

The ATOM CPU's in popular NAS' just don't have enough power to do 1080 reliably... If the NAS has HDMI output, it is a different story of course...

My recommendation would be:

Purchase the cheapest NAS you can get + a Western Digital TV live. The Money you save on the NAS will easily pay for the WD TV. I have one myself and it plays any format I throw at it, but the interface is probably not as pretty.

Now if you really must transcode, because you use your mobile device on the road you could go with a MAC Mini or Intel NUC with an i3 or i5.... You could mount your media from your cheap NAS....

I understand that cost is a consideration and there are pros and cons of having a mini PC running ... Energy being one of them...

However there are 'Wake on LAN' Apps for your mobile which should allow you to wake up your Mini transcoding PC when you are on the road.

Another idea would be running the free ESXi hypervisor on your mini PC .. That way you could run your Plex Media Server in a virtual machine...
Prodeje79
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Prodeje79 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Which WD TV Live would you recommend? Any good threads on a WDTV Live playing nice with one of our NAS?

I have a DS211J and trying to find best bet to watch high quality material without stuttering. It seems Serviio or Media Server may not cut it on my older device.....

SparrowHawk wrote:I wouldn't bother with the Ds214play or any other Plex capable NAS. I've been following the 'transcoding discussions' for a while and there simply are too many 'what ifs'.

The ATOM CPU's in popular NAS' just don't have enough power to do 1080 reliably... If the NAS has HDMI output, it is a different story of course...

My recommendation would be:

Purchase the cheapest NAS you can get + a Western Digital TV live. The Money you save on the NAS will easily pay for the WD TV. I have one myself and it plays any format I throw at it, but the interface is probably not as pretty.

Now if you really must transcode, because you use your mobile device on the road you could go with a MAC Mini or Intel NUC with an i3 or i5.... You could mount your media from your cheap NAS....

I understand that cost is a consideration and there are pros and cons of having a mini PC running ... Energy being one of them...

However there are 'Wake on LAN' Apps for your mobile which should allow you to wake up your Mini transcoding PC when you are on the road.

Another idea would be running the free ESXi hypervisor on your mini PC .. That way you could run your Plex Media Server in a virtual machine...
SusiBiker
Seasoned
Seasoned
Location: Left The Pit behind - On my way to Nerdville, Dorkshire

Postby SusiBiker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Prodeje79 wrote:Which WD TV Live would you recommend? Any good threads on a WDTV Live playing nice with one of our NAS?

I have a DS211J and trying to find best bet to watch high quality material without stuttering. It seems Serviio or Media Server may not cut it on my older device.....

I have three WDTVLive boxes in my house. One each of Gen1, 2, 3.
My honest advice is do not bother with ANY transcoding if you use WDTVLive boxes, as they do not need it. The Gen1, and 2, can struggle a bit, but the Gen3 is Awesome!
Save yourself grief, turn off all the DLNA servers and services on your DS and use a Gen3 WDTVLive to stream your stuff via Samba (Windows) Shares.
DO NOT buy the WDTVPlay as it is severely limited in what it can do, and the Hub version is basically a less capable version of your DS.

WD Media Players

The WDTVLive, can handle pretty much everything that is thrown at it, and it can play ISO images over network shares too.

Yup, I love 'em! :)
Dear Self-Appointed 'Forum Police' - I am so glad I make you feel needed xxx :)

SYNOLOGY: DS2411+/DX1211 19x Seagate+3x Samsung Desktop HDDs+2x Seagate NAS HDDs SHR2, DS1513+/DX513 4x Samsung+3x WD Desktop HDDs SHR1, VS80
OTHERS: APC Smart-UPS SMT1500I, Smart-UPS SMC1500I, Back-UPS BR800, ACTi ACM-1231 IP Camera, Netgear Router R7000 Nighthawk, Netgear 2x ReadyNAS Duo 2TB RAID1, D-Link DGS-1210-24 WebSmart Switch, 3x WDTVLive, 4x Xbox360, Xbox One, PS4, iPhone 4S 64GB, 6S+ 128GB, iPad1 64GB, Epson WF-7525, Canon iP4500, Dymo 330Turbo.
SparrowHawk
Sharp
Sharp

Postby SparrowHawk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:54 am

Yes, the WDTVlive is the player you should get.

http://m.wdc.com/en/product/330

I have a 2nd gen WDtv live and it works great. but I agree , go with the latest gen3.

Also it does have an optical Audio out (SPDIF) and can be used as media renderer for audio...

E.g. in teh DSAudio App for Ipad you can select the WDtv as output device...

I also recommend using a windows share (CIFS/SMB) over DLNA etc... if in doubt the WDTV can do both .... so no need to worry.
drabisan
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby drabisan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:25 pm

+1
I've been promoting this kind a setup for long time!
Media Server is a nice standard. But it's not advanced enough. And I doubt it will ever be! 2nd: There are wide interpretations of the standard and, because of this, there's no real interconnect between devices, between vendors.
Ultimately it will become a waist of time and headache because TV may not see the Media Server, or it won't recognize some capabilities etc.
Prodeje79
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Prodeje79 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks all! I picked up a new in box gen 3 for $40 on CL. He said he ended up using his TVs smart features and never used it.

Not quite ready to cut the cable. Having trouble locating daytime soaps on SB.... Ugh.
SparrowHawk
Sharp
Sharp

Postby SparrowHawk » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:33 am

The 3rd gen WDTV live should have a Netflix client, too :)
babaostyle
Beginner
Beginner

Postby babaostyle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:12 am

I have a DS413 and used to use Media Server until the transcoding broke. Both Serviio and Plex work fine now, including 1080 mkv files playing on my PS3 or Sharp TV as DLNA clients.
marcosero
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby marcosero » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:14 am

babaostyle wrote:I have a DS413 and used to use Media Server until the transcoding broke. Both Serviio and Plex work fine now, including 1080 mkv files playing on my PS3 or Sharp TV as DLNA clients.

I am interested. Do MKV files work because the internal codec is H.264, which is supported by the ps3?
Prodeje79
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Prodeje79 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Does anyone else have trouble locating nzbs for soap operas? If someone has a secret way, please PM me.
MrSynthetic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby MrSynthetic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:54 pm

uahero wrote:Are you sure that transcoding is ON? Described symptoms are exactly same for no transcoding at all

I, too, have this problem, and transcoding is def. set to on. Somehow the ds214play isn't transcoding even though that is its selling point! (I recently upgraded from a ds211 which would at least try to transcode but lacking in power).

Anybody looking to upgrade with transcoding in mind should definitely wait for a solution before pulling the trigger!

/Anders

Return to “Media Server”