Latest media player update has broken playing any media

Questions regarding media streaming across varied protocols, including UPnP/DLNA/CIFS can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
sfaribault
I'm New!
I'm New!

Broke again ...

Unread post by sfaribault » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Why is it that every time there is an update is gets broke ????
Using DLNA with my LG blueray player and after 2 movies I get " Cannot play this file " ... This is NOT a file problem.

I have reset everything and it still says the same thing.

DS415+ - 6.0.2-8451 update 7
Media server - 1.6.2-2770

Really getting tired of this ...

blairy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Media Server needs constant restarts

Unread post by blairy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm using a DS211j and use the Media Server package to stream music either on my laptop via Media Monkey or Foobar or to my Entertainment System via an Oppo UDP-203 or straight to my Denon AVR X6300H. I also stream via HEOS on my phone or an Android based Pioneer XDP-100.

In recent weeks I am finding that I quite often need to stop and restart media Server on my NAS so it can be accessed from my various devices.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening and what I need to do to keep Media Server up and running all the time?

Rkattek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Latest media player update has broken playing any media

Unread post by Rkattek » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:13 am

I installed the latest media server update (actually it auto installed)
1.6.2-2770 -> 1.7.0-2810 on 211j with DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9

Prior to the update I had no problems watching videos on 3 different Rokus and using media player on my Windows 10 desktop.
Now with the 1.7.x update I can browse to the video/photo/music but can't play any of them. On the Roku is looks like it is trying to buffer the video but it just stalls and eventually disconnects

I can watch the videos if I use networked drives but using the media player/media server the videos try to load but freeze and show nothing.

I've submitted a support ticket.

I tried looking for the previous version so I could downgrade and at least get the function back but can't find it.

Anyone else with problems on the latest media server?

securiteao
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Latest media player update has broken playing any media

Unread post by securiteao » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem with 1.7.0-2810 on 413J.
I can navigate in directory, but I can't open the file with KODI. Yesterday it was ok.

securiteao
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by securiteao » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:45 pm

I do the update DMS to 6.1-15047 : same thing :(

DJudge
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by DJudge » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Partially same Issue

DS 411
DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9
Mediaserver 1.7.0-2810

DLNA worked on all Devices until the auto Update to the 2810 Version

Now: DLNA Access/streaming to
Samsung TV: OK
iOS Software: No (Tested with VLC, AVPlayerHD and Infuse) Different Files - also those which def. worked before the Update
DS video just to check: Worked

Transcoding is off
Rebooted Router and Synology - no impact

What I can see is when the VLC tries to open the File it shows endless loop of loading circle and the cpu Load rise to 99% and nothing happens for 5-10 min plus convert process is using up 50-60 of the cpu Power

Anyone any Idea?

Althalus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Althalus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi All

Am running in the same issue. I also performed a full reset of the device but media playback is still not working properly
Device: DS212j

adfonline
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by adfonline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:51 am

Symptoms: Confirmed. Media Server 1.7.0-2810 update (automatic or manual) breaks playback. The server index still appears on network devices, but playback results in timeout.

Troubleshooting: Reindex, Reboot DS, Reboot Network, Uninstall and Reinstall latest/new version, Attempted playback across multiple devices on network.

Solution (temporary): Uninstall update. Manually install last good version 1.6.2-2770. Disable Auto-Updates. Wait for Synology to rollout fixed update.
[WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT if you are not comfortable/knowledgeable/experienced. Instead, I advise you to simply disable Media Server until Synology rolls out a fix/newer update.]

Previous version can be found here: https://usdl.synology.com/download/Pack ... .6.2-2770/
[BE CAREFUL which hardware version you choose (mine was ARMV5 for example). An easy way to determine this is to goto your system's support download page, download the current/bad version and look at the filename.] Phone reps may tell you not to do this yourself. Again, you should only attempt if you are knowledgeable/experienced. However, broken updates can often open security holes and are generally less trustworthy than last known working versions. At minimum I recommend disabling this latest broken update until a newer/fixed version is available.

System Info: DS411j running DSM 6.1-15047 (latest)

EVERYONE: Please submit support tickets so they'll get on this fix. Phone support claimed no other tickets in the system despite my reporting others experiencing the same issue on the forums.

Best of Luck!

P.S. I was considering upgrading my DS to a newer model, but will wait to see how they handle this as I feel that this is a primary function/usage for this class of device. Their prices indicate a full user experience solution, otherwise the price to hardware would be inexcusable (it pretty much is anyway but I think we all appreciate the solid OS/package experience).
Last edited by adfonline on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rkattek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Rkattek » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:11 am

I forgot to mention that I uninstalled Media server and then rebooted... then re-installed and same problem.

denbe52
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by denbe52 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:51 am

My media server also quit working on my Roku Ultra and my two WD TV Live boxes.
Same problem as already reported. My devices don't seem to recognize the file types anymore.
Everything worked perfectly on both of my Synology NAS devices before the latest update to the media server that occurred automatically within the past two days.
Is there any way to downgrade the media server update to the previous version?

kde
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by kde » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi,

I have the issue with my DS213, I just install the lastest version of media server (1.7.0-2810).

I can navigate in directory, but video playback doesn't work (TV, WD TV live, internet box player, ...).

I've submitted a support ticket and wait a response.

When I'll receive the answer, I apply the downgrade (adfonline post, thank you adfonline for th tip !) or not if they fix this quickly.

Rkattek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Rkattek » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Opened a ticket before coming to this forum.

Synology Support Ticket: #1009620 opened 2-21-2017

securiteao
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by securiteao » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Synology Support Ticket: #1010421 opened 2-22-2017

v40jlt4
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by v40jlt4 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Same here, can no longer stream from my 212+ after the update.
Really hate it.

Incident #1011261 opened 23-02-2017

adfonline
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by adfonline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Synology Support Ticket #1010457 opened 22Feb2016

Return to “Media Server”