Files disappearing on rename[merged threads]

Questions about file sharing through NFS/CIFS/AFP? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
tjaggar
Trainee
Trainee

Files disappearing on rename[merged threads]

Postby tjaggar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi,

I own a DS2411+ and recently upgraded to DSM4.1-2647
All goes smooth, except that now I have a problem that sometimes (actually, quite often, enough to be annoying and worrying) files disappear after being renamed.
I noticed mostly it happens to files inside a folder that got just renamed, and that happens the same if the folder is renamed from windows or using File Station itself.
When that happens, windows can still enter the renamed folder but it is empty.
FileStation can't list what's in the folder, it shows "Operation failed."
If I telnet and go to the folder and issue a ls, it actually lists all the disappeared files as errors:
ls: ./20111229_112811.mp4: No such file or directory
ls: ./MVI_7127.avi: No such file or directory
ls: ./MVI_7128.avi: No such file or directory
ls: ./MVI_7135.avi: No such file or directory

If I reboot the station, then they seem to reappear (even if I had cases where they did not, but could be I moved the broken folder around to test and that made it worse)

anybody else experiencing that problem ? any solution to avoid it ?
/tharn
Ramon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Files disappearing on rename

Postby Ramon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:56 am

I experience exactly the same problem. I own a DS411, upgraded to the latest DSM version: DSM 4.1-2647.
After I renamed a file (using Windows), after some time (seconds or minutes), the file is missing.
The DSM File Station can not show the content of the folder which contains the missing file: "Operation failed."
Usually after about 5 or 10 minutes the files is back again. But today, 75 minutes after renaming a file it still was missing. After rebooting the DiskStation the file reappeared.
tjaggar
Trainee
Trainee

Postby tjaggar » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:33 pm

I indeed also noticed today some reappeared without rebooting, just after some time (half an hour or so). It makes the issue less worrying, it does not seem to lose data, but very annoying anyway.

Hope they're aware of it and will issue a fix for that problem.

/tharn
pond79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pond79 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:08 pm

I have the very same issue on DS710+. The problem seems to plague after upgrading to DSM 4.1-2647.

Please fix it ASAP. This is very annoying.
coderCK
Trainee
Trainee

Postby coderCK » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:54 am

I am also experiencing this exact issue with my DS1010+ since upgrading to DSM 4.1-2647.

I'm glad it's a known issue and not isolated to my NAS, but I do hope it gets resolved soon.
skeve
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby skeve » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 am

same here
files disappear after renaming them and reappear several minutes after
DS410j
ianharper00
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ianharper00 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Yup, DS211+ running DS4.1-2647, same issue. I've also had problems where I copy a file, but then it disappears, complains that it's not there, and Windows starts copying it again - but it's simply moved the old copy to the CIFS recycle folder.

But the rename is the most irritating... it just happened again to me (which is why I came looking to see if I was alone!). Filestation won't do anything more, and command-line is just confused, as above:

Code: Select all

Primary> ls
ls: ./Program - 1x01.mp4: No such file or directory
@eaDir     Thumbs.db
Primary> ls -la
drwxrwxrwx    3 Ian      users         4096 Nov  8 18:45 .
drwxrwxrwx   64 admin    users         4096 Nov  8 18:40 ..
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     users         4096 Nov  8 18:45 @eaDir
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Ian      users        11776 Nov  8 18:44 Thumbs.db
Primary>

I wonder if it's a permissions thing (sine my target directory is owned by admin, but I'm not logged in as admin) even though it's chmod-ed to 0777. Either that or it's just an issue with SMB/CIFS... I must confess, I'd use NFS in a heartbeat if Windows supported it better, it's much faster if nothing else!

(And what a very strange forum/BB system, using a proportional font for quoted code...!)
dimethyltryptamine
Beginner
Beginner

Postby dimethyltryptamine » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:55 am

ianharper00 wrote:Yup, DS211+ running DS4.1-2647, same issue. I've also had problems where I copy a file, but then it disappears, complains that it's not there, and Windows starts copying it again - but it's simply moved the old copy to the CIFS recycle folder.

But the rename is the most irritating... it just happened again to me (which is why I came looking to see if I was alone!). Filestation won't do anything more, and command-line is just confused, as above:

Primary> ls
@eaDir     Thumbs.db
Primary> ls -la
drwxrwxrwx    3 Ian      users         4096 Nov  8 18:45 .
drwxrwxrwx   64 admin    users         4096 Nov  8 18:40 ..
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     users         4096 Nov  8 18:45 @eaDir
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Ian      users        11776 Nov  8 18:44 Thumbs.db
Primary>

I wonder if it's a permissions thing (sine my target directory is owned by admin, but I'm not logged in as admin) even though it's chmod-ed to 0777. Either that or it's just an issue with SMB/CIFS... I must confess, I'd use NFS in a heartbeat if Windows supported it better, it's much faster if nothing else!

(And what a very strange forum/BB system, using a proportional font for quoted code...!)

Is this easily reproducible? If so, what are your exact steps and what OS are you using? If I were you I would enable the windows file service transfer log and also the file station log to see if you can capture this behavior in a log.

BTW, Windows 7 and Windows 8 have a NFS client built into the Windows Features that you can enable.
ianharper00
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ianharper00 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Not reproducible on demand, but common enough. Exact steps are:

1. Copy a file from a Windows machine to the NAS
2. Rename the file
3. Watch it vanish from the Explorer window and everywhere else
4. Reboot Synology
5. Watch it re-appear

Or sometimes:

1. Copy the file from a Windows machine to the NAS
2. Watch it appear
3. Watch it disappear
4. Watch it start to copy all over again
5. Go back to step 2. Repeat until bored.

It happens with an XP machine and a Win7 machine. It happens with single-file copying actions and multi-file. It happens more with certain directories as well, but not universally, so that may just be an artifact of the locations to which I'm most likely to be coping the files.

Sadly, Microsoft decided in their wisdom that an NFS client is purely a professional requirement, so it doesn't come in any of the Home editions of Win7 (this is Home Premium) - only Professional and Ultimate. So that's not an option.

Logs enabled - thanks for that hint, let me see if either of those captures anything useful.
ianharper00
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ianharper00 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Not exactly the same issue, but here's an example I'm now seeing... I checked the read/write permissions of the local users (they were fine) but also switched on read/write for group membership just in case - the latter just screwed up everything and removed read/write from everyone, so I've reverted back.

So, everyone has read/write.

* Copy the file - okay
* Rename the file - fails, Windows complains that "you need permission"
* Click "try again", and Windows this time complains that it can't find the file
* Cancel, refresh the window, and the file was actually renamed the first time, so the *second* error was telling the truth.

Checking on an ssh session in between shows that I have 0777 to the directory, and the file appears as 0777 with the right ownership - so the "you need permission" makes no sense.

Checking the logs, they're fine, they show a successful rename event.

Now, I need to go and fix this as well, since I can't now rename *anything* without complaint. Let's see if a reboot clears it, but this (and the way DSM lost the permissions in the first place) makes me very suspicious of where the problem lies...
ianharper00
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ianharper00 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Final thought on this... I was getting the "need permission"/changed without telling you/"not there any more" 100% predictably on this particular directory. But I could swap files in and out and rename them happily one level up.

I've just created a new user and re-mapped the share just to see if that helped - no, same symptoms.

I created a new directory completely alongside this one - that was okay, I could manipulate files in there.

I mv-ed all the files from the old directory to the new one (Windows couldn't do it properly, because it kept losing sight of the files as they were moved). I then deleted the old directory and renamed (mv again) the new one to the old one...

... and the problem immediately re-occurs on the new directory now.

Is the NAS having problems with folder depth, or failing to hash the directory path properly for CIFS?

Why would /volume1/public/Videos/Music Videos choke it otherwise, when /volume1/public/Videos is okay and /volume1/public/Videos/Music is as well?

*** EDIT

And at the risk of totally talking to myself...

I was just tidying up, removing the directory Test Folder I'd created:

Primary> rm Test*
rm: Test Folder: is a directory
Primary> rmdir Test*
rmdir: 'Test Folder': Directory not empty
Primary> cd Test*
-ash: cd: can't cd to Test Folder
Primary> ls
ls: ./Test Folder: No such file or directory

This was /volume1/public/Videos/Test Folder... and File Station now fails on /volume1/public/Videos, "Operation Failed". Nothing in the logs. File Station can still navigate to peer directories.

Shomething's surely shcrewed...

*** EDIT 2

After a quick reboot:

Primary> ls -la
drwxrwxrwx   12 admin    users         4096 Nov 10 15:30 .
drwxrwxrwx   28 root     root          4096 Nov  4 15:14 ..
drwxrwxrwx    2 admin    users         4096 Nov 10 15:31 Test Folder

... now you see me, now you don't, and then you do again!
skeve
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby skeve » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 am

Looks like it has something to do with the folder names with spaces - I'm having the same issue with a folder named "To rename"
And I don't use Windows - only Linux machines here.
ianharper00
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ianharper00 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:56 am

MMmm, I'd wondered about the spaces as well. I presume you're publishing through NFS to your Linux boxes, yes? That suggests it's genuinely a problem with the underlying OS and how it's storing/accessing filenames on the filesystem, and not just in the SMB/CIFS code. That fits with what you can see on a command line - when it's broken, it's broken locally as well as over a network mount.

I wish there was a changelog for DSM, we'd be able to see if someone tinkered with the filesystem code then... otherwise, we're dependent on someone from Synology seeing this and believing it.
ianharper00
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ianharper00 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:13 pm

I've just raised a ticket on this (#158762). I'd suggest other folks do the same if we want to get attention, although I'll post back here as soon as I hear anything from Synology.

As a matter of interest, what discs are people using? I'm using twin WD10EADS-00L5B1 on a 211+.
tjaggar
Trainee
Trainee

Postby tjaggar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:00 pm

12x WD30EZRX

but I don't think that has any relation to the issue...

Got a mail from Synology support about it. When back home I'll try to reproduce and send them useful log. Let's hope it helps fixing the issue quickly. Pretty annoying, even if not critical as (until now) they all restore to normal at some point later

Return to “File Sharing: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux”