DiskStation Cannot Read ext4 USB Flashdrive Created in Linux

Questions about file sharing through NFS/CIFS/AFP? Post it here!
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
wkhan69
I'm New!
I'm New!

DiskStation Cannot Read ext4 USB Flashdrive Created in Linux

Unread post by wkhan69 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:55 am

DiskStation 6.1.4 cannot read USB flash drives that were formatted by e2fsprogs 1.43.7 (mke2fs in debian linux stretch). ie: USB sticks formatted by tools like GParted in linux or by using:

Code: Select all

mkfs.ext4 -F -L "" /dev/sdd1
I tried 4 different USB sticks ranging in sizes from 16Gb to 64Gb, made by Scandisk and Verbatim. I created a new partition, and formatted them successfully in a debian linux PC with GParted (which essentially uses the mke2fs tool). I tested these USB sticks in a completely separate debian linux system to make sure they work, and they do indeed work. But when I plug them directly to the Synology DS412+, DiskStation cannot recognize the file system.

Note that also, when I format a USB stick from DiskStation, it seems to work fine everywhere. ie: I can use that same USB stick in other linux systems and they can read/write to the USB stick without any problem.

Is this a bug? And advice? The diskstation should be able to read any ext4 formatted USB stick (certainly ones that were formatted directly by linux systems)

Return to “File Sharing: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux”