Synology addresses DSM Blue LED issue

Discuss the current and beta software currently supported by Synology.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
china_twin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Synology addresses DSM Blue LED issue

Unread post by china_twin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:23 pm

This issue was resolved by using the information in this thread->
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 39&t=84141

mvlioy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mvlioy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:43 pm

I have a DS415+ and two nights ago when the machine was powering off for the night it got stuck with the blue light blinking (8 hours later still in the same state). Sounds very similar to what is being described on this thread, except it was on shutdown rather than boot).

I tried the method described here of dropping in a new solo drive, and setting that up and that procedure worked worked. I then put in my original drives (without the new drive) and it just hung with the blue light blinking. I am concerned about keeping the spare drive in, and adding the original drives in slots 2 and 3 as the spare drive is much smaller (1G rather than the 3G) and don't want to keep that drive in the unit once this issue is resolved.

My question is if I put the new drives in slots 2 and 3 and migrate will I be able to take out the spare, and go back to my original configuration?

mvlioy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mvlioy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:10 am

As indicated above I tried Solution 1 and it didn't work so I then tried solution 3, i.e. boot diskless, then add the disks in. This worked and asked to install latest version of DSM. Which I did with some trepidation, but it worked, and all my data was there after I went through the initial setup (I skipped most everything). I was then able to restore the configuration from a previous backup. So all is well now, just wanted to share in case others had an issue with Solution 1.

dmorgen
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Synology addresses DSM Blue LED issue; also having orange light blinking!

Unread post by dmorgen » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:52 pm

My DS414 had the Blue LED issue. Before that it had blinking orange status LED numerous times (first Lost Connection message a few times, then Configuration Lost messages).

After the blue, it had blinking orange issues again (Configuration Lost). In all orange cases the DSM reinstall seemed to solve the problem; but some time later blinking orange returns.

In the case of the blinking blue, I tried a DSM reinstall, which seemed to work for awhile before another case of orange blinking.

Finally, after several more oranges, I did Solution 1 from this thread. Other than there being no "Migratable" shown, it seemed to work. But after a couple of days, I got the blinking orange (Configuration Lost) again.

I read on the forum about the orange problem being caused by a bad reset button. However, my unit was purchased 12/2014 & the serial number indicated the unit being manufactured after the reset button problem was solved.

I really need this NAS to be operational & I've lost a lot of time over the past couple of weeks. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dave

empezar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by empezar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:28 am

I'm having this issue too now.

It is quite unnerving to read about how the NAS could be infected with malware, and I quite don't understand how that's possible, when the only port open to my network is a VPN port with certificates that only I have access to, and the NAS itself is protected with a strong 28 character password.

When I boot up my NAS, it sounds as if it's doing quite a lot of work, so I'm shutting it down and not using it until I get help from Synology.

(I have performed the steps in the guide on the first page, but it did not resolve my issue.)

nohwnd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by nohwnd » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:02 pm

I had a problem when my NAS (710+) did not boot after an improper shutdown. The BIOS would not even show up. It just spun up the disks for 15 seconds then shut down, then started up again with the blue light quickly flashing. It did not show up in the assistant or anything. I tried taking the whole NAS apart, rebooting multiple times, changing the RAM, but what solved my problem was removing the BIOS battery for few seconds to reset the BIOS. Then I just put everything back together and it booted up normally (after about 20s of flashing blue light).

Etifloyd
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Etifloyd » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:42 pm

I have this blinking blue LED issue on my DS412+.

For a long time, when I do a cold start-up, one of the four disk spin up immediately when I push the power button, then after few second, it shutdown and restart again with one drive spining up. Then it stay indefinitely in the blinking blue LED state.
This issue never happen when I reboot the DS. And also never happen when I shut it down.

Then I discover this thread in the forum and apply the 11 step procedure. Strangely, when I put back my four disks in the DS, I doesn't tell me it's migratable but it normaly start-up. The reason is probably while DSM version were the same between the single disk and my original system. It's look like this 11 step tips only work when the DSM version of the spare disk is newer than the one of the original system.

Anyway, after applying this 11 step tips, the DS startup corretly many times the next days (3-4), until yesterday when it start again with the blinking blue LED issue and one disk directly spining up at power up.

I'll have to wait the next version of DSM to check if I can really correct this issue.
Actually I manage the following DS: 412+, 216, 213air, 216play, 114, 112j

mohshaker
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mohshaker » Sat May 27, 2017 10:37 am

I have same problem but worse ... the assistant cannot find my DS216J on 2 bays on the network. Tried to plug different Ethernet cables still not working.
Any suggestions what to do ? The network light blinks but when I check the router I do not see the device in the list of attached devices...
This happens just today .. I had the Device for 3 months running RAID 1 working like a charm ..
I removed the hard drives and still the assistant cannot find my DS216..
I tried the rest button for 4 seconds that did not make any difference ...
desperate to hear that beep again !!
I connected the USB to the PC still assistant cannot find the device .. the router does not show the device as in the list of attached devices ....

MarcoM71
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by MarcoM71 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 am

Hi,

My experience with the blue powerlight blinking and reporting it to Synology resulted in the advise to buy a new motherboard. No garantees.
Since I didnt want to just spend 240 USD I investigated further. The result was a solution that was a lot cheaper!

Symptoms:
- blue powerlight blinking when pressed
- statuslight blinking green in the same rythm as the fan is ticking
- green powerlight on the external power adaptor blinking in the same rythm as fan and status light

Solution replace external power supply.

I took it to work where I noticed the light on the power supply blinking in the same rythm. My technical colleague gave me another powersupply with the same specs and my DS213+ booted

Wanted to share it so others might benefit!

rTn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rTn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Dear,

Having the same problem with my DS124play. The blue light is flickering and lan is constantly burning.
I tried solution 1.

I removed my 2 disks, entered a another disk, reinstalled the DSM and the nas was up and running again. Then i powered off the nas and entered my 2 original disk again. Then i got the same problem of flickering the blue status light....

Anny help?

C_R
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by C_R » Sat May 26, 2018 1:14 pm

I had the same problem on an upgrade inside 6.1.7 branch (not even a bigger one). The Problem was the NAS hang on starting services, so Samba Shares, Telnet, SSH and Webinterface were available. But logging into DSM was not able and WebStation, MediaStation and so one were not running.

Possible solution
What helped me so far was the Memory Test using the Synology Assistant tool on PC. State was services starting..., but I am not sure if this was the state when I started the memory check, or if I set the state of the NAS manually to boot done (see below). I went to preferences, enabled memory check and started it on the NAS. It took a few moment before the NAS restarted, the Assistant shows you the progess. In my case, it seems to be stuck at 99,7% some minutes, but after waiting around 5 minutes I guess, the check was done and the NAS rebootet. Since then, the NAS seams to run with all services, i.e. WebStation started. LED is permant blue, Status LEDs of discs on.

I am not sure but I think on the failed boots before, the NAS did not beep and some LEDs did not show up. While rebooting after the memory check, the NAS beeped.
Not sure what happens after the next reboot, I am going to check if everything is up now...

Note what I did before the memory check:
The state of synobootseq --get was 3 i think, saying services are starting. LED was blinking blue. Logging on to disk station with browser shows "System is getting ready. Please log in later".
To log on again, I found following on internet. I used SSH login but telnet should work too I guess, if enabled before (at own risk, I do not now if you stop any upgrade processing or anything like that! Root access is needed, login as admin, then sudo su - to change to root, using the same password as your admin user):

Code: Select all

sudo su -
synobootseq --set-boot-done
synobootseq --is-ready
after that admin access using browser was possible again, although some packages still had the status starting.... I took some settings for the case I had to reinstall the NAS.

DSM 6.2 was ready, but my NAS did not show if for install so far. So i downloaded it from synology.com and did a manual installation, hoping it will upgrade to boot stuff and fix my problem. It did not change anything.

Blofeld
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Blofeld » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:15 pm

My DS 2413+ died while booting, a short screechy noise, and then nothing.
It won't boot, even after trying the known remedies. Blinking Blue LED is all it does.

Synology support says, "sorry, buy a new one" - [Please control your language]?

Return to “DSM Beta and New Release Discussion”