Successful Synology Solutions!

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Successful Synology Solutions!

Postby Franklin » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:34 am

Want to vouch for Synology? Want to explain how Synology provided a solution to your personal or business needs? Show case it here! This thread will be stickied! :D

User Comments
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:26 am

I recently purchased a 406E and after putting in the hard drives wich only took a few minutes, I plugged the unit into my switch and put the disc in the server, moments later the software had done its thing, mapped the drive automatically and I went to my back up software, in this case it is Veritas BackUp Exec, all I had to do was choose a different location to back up to, from the Tandberg tape drive to a back up folder that was on the new array of disks on the cube.. and blamo! I was backing up.. this was awesome I can now hold 14 days of complete Full backups on a RAID level 5 structure. I put one more across the plant in another building for redundancy.. this is a network with out Internet access, but with the security of off site backup.. very cool.. We are a Ready Mix Concrete plant and tapes just dont cut it in this industry, no matter how clean you try to be dust gets in.. its the nature of the business and when I got ahold of your product I was stoked.. these boxes rock! and we know rocks..
tnx
Jody Harrison
Koncrete Industries, Inc.

http://www.koncreteindustries.com

**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**

Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images

Supaman
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Supaman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:44 pm

i wanted a low-power consuming data-storage box with raid-5 and media streaming server and chosed a CS-406. in combination with pinnacle showcenter it works perfect.

advantages
needs only a few space, low power consuming, very quiet with samsung 500 gb drives and some fan modding, raid-5, easy-to-use setup & web interface, a lot of features, good community support

disadvaages
- hibernation is a little bit buggy, but i think this will be solved in the near future.
- write speed is a little bit low
Synology CS 406 (Firmware 524) with 4x Samsung HD753LJ @Raid-5 | working hibernation
Pinnacle Showcenter 200
Synology Wiki: How to Silence the CubeStation
kreidel
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kreidel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:24 pm

I bought the original DS-101 in spring 2005 and although it is more expensive than a USB hard drive it is worth every penny. The ability to have access to all my data all the time thanks to the built in ftp server has proven invaluable more than one time and since I have four computers regularly used on my network it is a blessing to have one point with all my documents, music etc.
And when it comes to stability it couldn't be better. It has been running without problems for 1½ year at the time of writing.
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:25 pm

Recently our firm had a major server breakdown, which we were very fortunate enough to recover from. Our local computer store (Sneakers Computers Ltd.) owner recommended the Synology DS-101 as a temporary server while he rebuilt our new server. Upon having our new server operational he recommended we continue to use the DS-101 as a backup solution. It has preformed so well that I am now in the process of setting up a mirrored backup at home on my second DS-101. I have recommended it to friends and colleagues throughout my industry. I just retuned from Sneakers Computers with another DS-101 for a friend in Calgary, as he is unable to find your product available there. In speaking with Ron Burton of Sneakers Computers today I have found out that he only has 1 unit remaining and is unable to acquire any more DS-101. As your product is so reliable and easy to use I am sure it will become even more popular with computer users as servers and/or backup solutions. I only hope that Sneakers Computers will be able to become a local distributor for Vancouver Island or Western Canada as he has been a great supporter of the DS-101.

Best regards,
Bal Klear

Palmi
I'm New!
I'm New!

My digital pictures / files

Postby Palmi » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:00 am

we have 7 computers in our house ( 2 pc * 5 laptops). its a hell trying to backup them up and keep up with the files my family has on them. :shock: I tried everything- I have seen the synology server at local store and read about them - few months ago I bought a 406e added only one 320gb HD on it - I toke it home placed it next to my router - plugged it in. Install software and in 50 min I had every user on-line ( on server ) mapped all the Folder for everyone - Music - Movies- data- moved there "My documents" to a folder with there name on the 406e.
I have added a 500gb to it for backup on the 406e - this baby does not keep me up at night wondering if we may loose some data or digital pictures that can´t be replaced - i totally recommend this solution to every house hold that has a computer . :lol:
Revere_R
Beginner
Beginner

Home Security

Postby Revere_R » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:24 pm

I'm using my DS106j in conjunction with 5 Linksys WVC54GC IP cameras. The DS106j is recording 24/7 all cameras continuously using a simple script which starts up automatically upon system reboot. This has enabled a very neat little home security system. Wouldn't have been possible without the Telnet function allowing me to add my own custom script to the process list.

Also the very same NAS acts as a Video and Music server for my Apple based home cinema whereby all Video & Music is simply stored on an external USB Drive.

And as well as that it's a backup for my Documents.

All in all an excellent product, really made so by adding the Telnet function, because of which I will be purchasing a second unit. Thank you Synology!
azzi
Novice
Novice

Re: Successful Synology Solutions!

Postby azzi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:57 pm

I have persuaded my manager to purchase a CS407 for our consulting deprtment. Everyone is impressed with teh performance and what the product can offer especially with teh latest firmware. We can access our group technical data using ftp over vpn from anywhere. One think we are slightly disappointed with is that it seems to lack the mounting of ISO files. We need to actually have ISO files mounted to make them available for several consultants and other employees. This would help us in quickly installing operating systems unattended perhaps over pxe.

I read a few articles in the modding section about losetup but there is no details of how this can be enabled. I would also like to know if pxe is possible and how it could be done.

On the whole I and the department are more than happy with Synology products.

keep up the good work :P
Zodiachus
Novice
Novice

Postby Zodiachus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:56 am

My wife started working for a small charity about a year ago. As it turned out, they had no backup system in place at all. I talked to them about how their organization would be affected if anything happened to their financial records etc. I must have managed to instill the fear of Murphy in them, because they asked me to set up a backup solution for them. :)

At that stage I was sufficiently impressed with my own DS207 to realize that it would be perfect for a small organization as theirs. Long story short, they now have a DS207 in RAID 1 for their immediate backup, file-sharing and remote access needs, with more permanent off-site backups made to CD/DVD every so often. All in all, it's a perfect device for their organisation, because it satisfies many of their needs with out having to purchase servers etc.
kieranmullen
Experienced
Experienced

Postby kieranmullen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 am

Why did you choose that model?

Zodiachus wrote:My wife started working for a small charity about a year ago. As it turned out, they had no backup system in place at all. I talked to them about how their organization would be affected if anything happened to their financial records etc. I must have managed to instill the fear of Murphy in them, because they asked me to set up a backup solution for them. :)

At that stage I was sufficiently impressed with my own DS207 to realize that it would be perfect for a small organization as theirs. Long story short, they now have a DS207 in RAID 1 for their immediate backup, file-sharing and remote access needs, with more permanent off-site backups made to CD/DVD every so often. All in all, it's a perfect device for their organisation, because it satisfies many of their needs with out having to purchase servers etc.
nickg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby nickg » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:41 pm

All these reviews actually convince me to start implementing Synology solutions :)
rfromp
I'm New!
I'm New!

woot! woot!

Postby rfromp » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:50 am

I just wanted to give a shout-out to the Synology Customer Service Department. I purchased my DS1812+ over a year ago and now I want to upgrade the hard drives to a larger capacity, but I discovered that when I had originally installed the hard drives I locked the drive bay doors. I tore my place apart trying to find those keys and was unable to locate them.

After an exhaustive search I emailed Synology before I went to bed to inquire about replacement keys and when I woke up I had an email from the Synology Customer Service Rep saying that they will replace my keys for free and that all they need is a copy of my invoice.

I emailed back with a copy of my invoice before I went to work and when I came home I had another email from Synology saying they had mailed the keys and they provided me with the USPS tracking number.

Wow, just wow! Thank you to the good people at Synology for their patience in solving my problem. How stupid of me to lose the keys but thank you Synology for taking care of your customers.

I work in the Tech field and I always recommended Synology whenever the subject of NAS comes up and I can now also tell others not only how great Synology products are but I can also tell them how good Synology Customer Service has treated me.

Thanks Serge!
rsyncuser
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rsyncuser » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:28 am

We've been offering a UNIX-centric offsite backup platform (rsync.net) since 2001.

On a regular basis we get queries from all kinds of NAS users about pointing their NAS device over the Internet to their rsync.net account, and of course we are always very interested in helping them.

The problem is, almost all of those little commodity NAS devices (and even some of the nicer ones, like QNAP) have a very lame rsync implementation that only supports the old, insecure "rsync protocol".

In reality, what people use in modern times is rsync over SSH, and that is all we support.

So we were very, very pleased about two years ago when we realized that Synology devices running recent DSM software can configure and run rsync over SSH backup jobs right through the GUI. No add-ons needed, no dropping to the CLI to set up ... no trouble at all.

We consider this a huge success story and are very happy to be serving hundreds of Synology device owners around the world.
Noah
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Noah » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:23 pm

rsyncuser wrote:The problem is, almost all of those little commodity NAS devices (and even some of the nicer ones, like QNAP) have a very lame rsync implementation that only supports the old, insecure "rsync protocol".

Funny how you come in here to try and sell your own product, and in the process insult Synology twice (the bold texts). You don't have a way with words, and I doubt you are very intelligent.
Somebody here sucks big time. BIG time. Small...
Technoir
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Technoir » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Upgrading/Migrating from DS414j to DS415play.

Some of you may have seen my thread in the other board, but figured i'd post my experience here as well, because it's a complete success story.

My lovely wife ordered me a DS415play for our anniversary! When it arrived, I unboxed/inspected, and dashed upstairs like a kid on christmas morning to play with my new toys...

Backed up my config, shut down the DS414j. Downloaded the 5.1.5022 DSM for DS415play.

Swapped out the drives one by one and installed them in the new tool-less drive trays.

Plugged in networking, plugged in power. Waited 5 minutes.

Synology Assistant found it, said it was Migratable, so I connected to it in a browser and started the migration.

While it was migrating and updating DSM, I installed the 4x750GB disks into the drive trays for the DS414j and slid them in and buttoned that device back up.

Migration/update done, I logged in, restored my config, and began Repair on all my packages.

All done. Total time for migration and verification of intact files: 35 minutes. Indexing of media libraries going to take a while, though.

Cabled up the DS414j and initializing in prep for copying a bunch of stuff from the DS415play to it for delivery to my friend.

Overall, very easy, very smooth process, like everything Synology i've experienced so far. Very impressed with these products!

:D :D

The only snag was that the DS414j had dislodged Disk1 during transit, and kicked a fit when I powered it up at my friend's place. Ended up having to repair the volume as if disk1 was a new replacement disk. Took about 8 hours (2.05TB volume, 1.7TB of data on it), but he's up and running error-free now.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”