"Consistency Storage Check Ended" but not really?

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
jasondunn
Beginner
Beginner

"Consistency Storage Check Ended" but not really?

Unread post by jasondunn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm extremely confused by what the Synology OS is telling me as a user: I see multiple notifications saying "Consistency check of storage pool 2 on DOJO-SERVER has ended". Two from two days ago, one from 11 hours ago.

Yet when I go into the storage manager and look at Storage Pool 2, I see:

"Verifying hard disks in the background (Performing data scrubbing 64%) Parity Consistency Check is currently running on Storage Pool 2"

So how can it be that the Consistency Check has finished three times, but is still running? :? Or is this badly worded and the hard disk verification includes a Consistency check but that is different than the data scrubbing?

And does anyone know if the primary reason this check is slow is due to a weak CPU and it would go much faster if I had a newer Synology with a faster CPU?

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: "Consistency Storage Check Ended" but not really?

Unread post by mike42dk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am

Hi

You don't write what DS you have and with how big and many disks :-)

Bot data scrubbing is not the same as consistence check.

And if you have and old DS with many large disks, then it takes some time, it also have to do with how much data you have on the dsiks
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

jasondunn
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by jasondunn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Hey Mike. I have a 1512+ with an expansion unit; nine total drives in a storage pool of 36 TB. So "Parity consistency check" is different from "consistency check"? How completely confusing for users. Synology should re-name these things so it's clear they are different.

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Squozen » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:47 am

Have you replaced smaller drives with larger ones on that array in the past?

jasondunn
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by jasondunn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Hmm. Yes, I have - I had all 4 TB drives and have swapped a few 8 TB drives in there. What's the connection there?

Return to “System Management”