Upgrade DS411j -> ??

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
unknownsailor
I'm New!
I'm New!

Upgrade DS411j -> ??

Postby unknownsailor » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:13 pm

The 411J has been serving me well over the years as just a file server, but I am starting to use some of the apps (CalDAV to start with as I de-Google my data), and it cannot keep up. So, I need to upgrade.

This brings to mind two questions: What would be a good upgrade path for me? I am not going to make the NAS the central point of my network (I have a rack mount server for that), but I do want to use a couple of apps. I think the plus line would be a bit much, so maybe a generic DS416?

Second question: If I get a diskless DS416, can I move my current 4 disk Synology RAID array into the new enclosure en toto, or will I have to destroy the array and start over from scratch?
I really don't want to rebuild the array and copy over 8+ TB of data....
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Re: Upgrade DS411j -> ??

Postby Rusty1281 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:46 am

unknownsailor wrote:The 411J has been serving me well over the years as just a file server, but I am starting to use some of the apps (CalDAV to start with as I de-Google my data), and it cannot keep up. So, I need to upgrade.

This brings to mind two questions: What would be a good upgrade path for me? I am not going to make the NAS the central point of my network (I have a rack mount server for that), but I do want to use a couple of apps. I think the plus line would be a bit much, so maybe a generic DS416?

Second question: If I get a diskless DS416, can I move my current 4 disk Synology RAID array into the new enclosure en toto, or will I have to destroy the array and start over from scratch?
I really don't want to rebuild the array and copy over 8+ TB of data....

New products have been announced 2 days ago, so if I were you I would wait a few more weeks until these products hit the market. There is a new 418 model as well as a 418j, so check them out before cashing out for a x16 model
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
rokb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rokb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:55 pm

I would use this topic for my similar situation. I would also like to upgrade and replace my old DS411j, which simply became too slow.

I currently use NAS mainly for the file server (documents, photos, video ...). I'm displaying video content on TV via Popcorn Hour NMT, but I also use a video station to view content on mobile devices.

I also want to use NAS to download torrents. I have 300Mb optical connection to the Internet and I want to use full network speed for downloading. Currently the download speed on my 411j is very poor and application often crashed when downloading multiple files simultaneously. So I want to be sure that the new NAS will be able to do it without any problems.

Which of the new models (411J, 411, 411play or 918+) should I buy so that the NAS will satisfactorily perform the work? I was disappointed over the J series so far, but I do not know how is the performance on the new models.

An additional question. In the migration process I would retain the existing 411j hard drives and move them in the new NAS. But I noticed that the two of existing drives are not on the compatibility list for the new models, they are on the list for 411j. Can this be a problem for successful migration?
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm

rokb wrote:I would use this topic for my similar situation. I would also like to upgrade and replace my old DS411j, which simply became too slow.

I currently use NAS mainly for the file server (documents, photos, video ...). I'm displaying video content on TV via Popcorn Hour NMT, but I also use a video station to view content on mobile devices.

I also want to use NAS to download torrents. I have 300Mb optical connection to the Internet and I want to use full network speed for downloading. Currently the download speed on my 411j is very poor and application often crashed when downloading multiple files simultaneously. So I want to be sure that the new NAS will be able to do it without any problems.

Which of the new models (411J, 411, 411play or 918+) should I buy so that the NAS will satisfactorily perform the work? I was disappointed over the J series so far, but I do not know how is the performance on the new models.

An additional question. In the migration process I would retain the existing 411j hard drives and move them in the new NAS. But I noticed that the two of existing drives are not on the compatibility list for the new models, they are on the list for 411j. Can this be a problem for successful migration?

Personally I'm in the same boat as you with my 211j model. I have decided to get a new 918+ in a few months and move my 412+ in place of the 211j model and replace 412 with 918.

Now any x18 model in comparison to the x11j models will give you a significant upgrade in performance. Getting a stronger and more powerful device of the bat will just make it more future proof and it will allow you to have some services/apps that some other models don't offer (Docker for example).

Now if you have certain service/app that you wanna use be sure to check it before hand and see if all your needs are met. Depending on that decide on the model. Looking just at the hw difference when compared to x11j models you have no worry, they are all way more stronger and will meet all your current needs (and more then that).

Personally, I would go for 918+ for the long run. When I got 412+ in 2012 (and just upgrade it to 4GB of RAM) that still works excellent with 0 problems, I can only imagine that the new 918+ will be another 7y+ investment that will pay off.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
rgarjr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby rgarjr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:21 pm

rokb wrote:I would use this topic for my similar situation. I would also like to upgrade and replace my old DS411j, which simply became too slow.

Yeah u want to get yourself a Plus model with a strong x86 cpu and large amount of RAM.
rokb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rokb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Rusty1281 wrote:Personally, I would go for 918+ for the long run. When I got 412+ in 2012 (and just upgrade it to 4GB of RAM) that still works excellent with 0 problems, I can only imagine that the new 918+ will be another 7y+ investment that will pay off.

Thank you for your advice. I will go for 918+

Return to “General Products Inquiries”