Encryption for NFS folders

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
PaddyWi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Encryption for NFS folders

Postby PaddyWi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 am

Hey guys,

first of all I tried to search for some posts about this and a lot of them were pretty old.

I am looking for a new NAS and one thing I really need is full encryption of folders which I connect to via NFS. I want to mount them manually on every startup.
I've read that Synology NAS devices can't do that. Is this still true?

I would like to buy the DS916+.

Thanks in advance.

-Paddy
thansen
Student
Student

Re: Encryption for NFS folders

Postby thansen » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am

Yes, sadly it is still true.

Was about to encrypt my NFS shares, and a warning popped up saying "The encrypted shared folder will not be available via NFS."

After I realised this i made a search on the forum, and could see that this has been a feature request for years.

The encryption feature is not worth much to me, and I have to find another way to encrypt my data :-(
Synology DS716+II - Firmware: DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 7 - Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1-164 - Drive 1 WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0 - Drive 2 WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0
Synology DS112+ - Firmware: DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 7 - Drive: WDC WD20EFRX
Synology DS-107+.128 - Firmware: DSM 3.1-1638 - Drive: WDC WD4000YS

Return to “General Products Inquiries”