I don't know which nas to upgrade to

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
stampeh
I'm New!
I'm New!

I don't know which nas to upgrade to

Postby stampeh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Right now I have the DS414 and have always been very satisfied with it. It steams 1080p movies with no problem. Now I want to steam movies to 2 or 3 clients at the same time - it could also be to an iPad. But the DS414 can't do it because steaming only one movie occupies 55% of the CPU usage, so starting another movie steam in the house or over internet, quickly makes errors on the screen :roll: . So of cause now I want to upgrade. Honestly I don't know much about which CPU is required, I just know that the one in the DS414 is an "Marvell Armada XP Dual 1,33 Mhz" and it's not enough. I want to know what you would have done in my place, and why. I want it to have 4 bays just like the DS414 :D
rgarjr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: I don't know which nas to upgrade to

Postby rgarjr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:10 pm

1517+, 916+ or 918+
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: I don't know which nas to upgrade to

Postby iknowtech » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 am

DS916+ or the upcoming DS918+ would be your best options, as they have Intel Chips with Intel Quick Video Sync, which allows for hardware transcoding of video.

Can't guarantee you'll be able to do 3 current high bitrate 1080P streams, but I suspect two should work. 3 shouldn't be a problem if you don't have any transcoding going on.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”