I don't know which nas to upgrade to

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
stampeh
Trainee
Trainee

I don't know which nas to upgrade to

Unread post by stampeh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Right now I have the DS414 and have always been very satisfied with it. It steams 1080p movies with no problem. Now I want to steam movies to 2 or 3 clients at the same time - it could also be to an iPad. But the DS414 can't do it because steaming only one movie occupies 55% of the CPU usage, so starting another movie steam in the house or over internet, quickly makes errors on the screen :roll: . So of cause now I want to upgrade. Honestly I don't know much about which CPU is required, I just know that the one in the DS414 is an "Marvell Armada XP Dual 1,33 Mhz" and it's not enough. I want to know what you would have done in my place, and why. I want it to have 4 bays just like the DS414 :D

rgarjr
Sharp
Sharp

Re: I don't know which nas to upgrade to

Unread post by rgarjr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:10 pm

1517+, 916+ or 918+

iknowtech
Skilled
Skilled

Re: I don't know which nas to upgrade to

Unread post by iknowtech » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 am

DS916+ or the upcoming DS918+ would be your best options, as they have Intel Chips with Intel Quick Video Sync, which allows for hardware transcoding of video.

Can't guarantee you'll be able to do 3 current high bitrate 1080P streams, but I suspect two should work. 3 shouldn't be a problem if you don't have any transcoding going on.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”