DS416slim: useful for webhosting?

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
NixieFreak
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS416slim: useful for webhosting?

Unread post by NixieFreak » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:56 am

Hello everyone,

My first experience with something NAS-like was the WD MyCloud Mirror, and this product was just horrible due to the very inconvenient configuration options and the relatively high price. So I have decided I want to give Synology a try.

I am a student with not a lot of space, and I will be travelling every now and then. This is why I am thinking of getting a DS416slim with four 1TB 2.5" WD Red HDDs in them. It is small but yet highly configurable. I would want to use it for encrypted data storage of important files, as well as to run a private website that will be an online picture gallery of photos that my family and I want to enjoy. Meaning: very low traffic, image files of the typical size of 2MB. I will need PHP and MySQL for that, but that should be OK with Synology. It will mostly be accessed remotely using Web Station.

So here is my question: Is the DS416slim a good choice for this task? I know it is somewhat underpowered, but from your experience, would it work for the kind of purpose I have in mind?

Cheers
Jens

Return to “General Products Inquiries”