Pre Purchase NAS

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
guyguy
Novice
Novice

Pre Purchase NAS

Postby guyguy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:15 pm

I am looking at buying a NAS. I know some if not most users buy Synology NAS. Currently, I using an old HP Mediasmart server. Although the MSS still works and I can use it with my Macs, I am looking to replace it. I already use a Synology router so I was thinking I could use a Synology Diskstation along with the router. I know Synology makes various models and I don't need anything high powered. For my needs, I am looking at a 2 bay model because I like to use actual hard drives. This NAS will be used mostly with Apple products.

My goals to using the NAS:

1. Time Machine backup
2. Stream movies to ATV 3 and 4g
3. Centralize Storage
4. Centralize iTunes and Photo Library storage
5. Expansion if my needs change.

I understand that most Synology models can do the above so I am looking for something I can continue to use now and in the future.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”