Buying dilemma for existing DS214Play user

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
dlondon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Buying dilemma for existing DS214Play user

Postby dlondon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi there

I just wanted some advice from experienced Synology users. I've had DS214Play for a few years now. It has 2 x 8TB drives (Synology Hybrid Raid configuration). I generally use for storage of files and media but I also use as a Plex media server to various devices. It's sometimes a bit slow with Plex but otherwise it's been ok. The problem I have is that I have run out of space.

I've been considering my options:
1. Don't use RAID - I would need a backup solution of some kind.
2. Replace existing drives with larger drives - I've ruled out purchasing larger drives because the cost and the fact I will only get a bit more space.
3. Manually backing up device to a standalone drive - most of my files wouldn't need constant backing up but this solution is very manual and slightly tedious.
4. Buying a 4/5 drive device - Higher cost but would be faster. Perhaps existing device could be used offsite or as a backup of some kind.
5. Getting a 2 bay device and using with existing device as a backup offsite (not using raid).

Any advice on what might be the best option? If purchasing new equipment, I don't mind future-proofing with a slightly higher spec - any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, have others tried mixing brands of NAS (i.e. backing up to say a QNAP or something)?

Thanks in advance.
sieberta
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Buying dilemma for existing DS214Play user

Postby sieberta » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:50 pm

I personally would go with Option 4, including backing up to your old unit offsite. I would stick with Synology because of better remote backup options to your existing unit. Could do 3 8T drives in RAID 5, and then add an additional 8T drive in the future when needing more space.

Option 5 isn't so bad either... if downtime is acceptable on HDD failure.

sieberta
sieberta
---------
Devices: DS415+ (2014), DS216+II (2016), DS916+ (2017)
Public Service Announcement: Please do not rely on RAID as "backup"... at minimum buy a cheap USB 3.0 HDD and use Hyper Backup...
dlondon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Buying dilemma for existing DS214Play user

Postby dlondon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:27 pm

sieberta wrote:I personally would go with Option 4, including backing up to your old unit offsite. I would stick with Synology because of better remote backup options to your existing unit. Could do 3 8T drives in RAID 5, and then add an additional 8T drive in the future when needing more space.

Option 5 isn't so bad either... if downtime is acceptable on HDD failure.

sieberta

Thanks for your advice. Think I will look for a 4/5 drive device and buy three drives initially as you suggested. Thanks.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”