Maximum Concurrent CIFS/AFP/FTP Connections ?

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
I'm New!
I'm New!

Maximum Concurrent CIFS/AFP/FTP Connections ?

Postby omorin-en » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:05 am

Bonjour from France,

I'm looking for a NAS for 350 users in a Windows domain.

The RS3617xs+ specifications says "Maximum Concurrent CIFS/AFP/FTP Connections : 2048".

Right now, my MMC console show me about 5500 opened files on my actual file server.

So, what Synology meam by "Concurrent CIFS/AFP/FTP Connections ", sessions, files opned, lock,...

Thanks for helping.

Re: Maximum Concurrent CIFS/AFP/FTP Connections ?

Postby drabisan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:15 pm

SMB, AFS are using a single TCP connection from any computer to any computer. No matter what activity needs to be done. That's one of the problems - a packet drop lower the TCP window and all activities are slowing down. Microsoft has multi-stream implemented in w7, 8, 10, server 2003+ and that opens more than one connection when it needs to. But multi-stream is not official in Samba as of today so you can count a single connection per client.

FTP uses 2 ports so 2 connections at any given moment.

That is what Synology count as concurrent connections AFAIK.

I'm sure some other users here are using some high-end models with large number of users and they can share their experience.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”