New to NAS - Which Synology to choose?

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) On 12/25, Synology Forums will be getting a new layout. During this time, content will still be accessible but you will be unable to make new threads and posts.

2) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

3) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Geky
Experienced
Experienced

Re: New to NAS - Which Synology to choose?

Postby Geky » Fri May 26, 2017 10:26 am

Based on your more detailed requirements I think you got reasonably good advise from Rusty.

I have comments on your requirements and the rationale but thats not any of my business.

Just a quick one though cause I cannot stop myself: With all this HW and drives you are planning to purchase, how come low energy is a factor?
Good luck
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Taking into account some of your requirements, I think + model will be in the end.

3. Streaming video (4K, 1080p) from NAS.

Keep in mind that this will depend on several factors. What platform will you use as your media organizer (DS Video, Plex, pain DLNA etc..), what clients and their app/platforms are supported as well as HW features, and number of users at any given time

4. Use NAS as a cloud storage where I or my family can upload/download files over the Internet like Dropbox. (I think that is the QuickConnect - Correct me if I'm wrong)

Its Synology's Cloud server and its addons that will give you a private DB experience (QuickConnect is a DDNS alternative)

5. Not require too much maintenance / secure over the Internet (I think this is based on the setting - assuming all models do the same thing).

Correct, this is not model based, but DSM in general and thats all the same across all models.

6. Energy efficient and low noise level when on.

Energy efficient will depend on the model, HDDs inside and whats the NAS doing at any given time. Regarding noise lvl, that won't be an issue. My 412+ with 4 drives is so silent that in a complete isolated room I have to lean my head to it (really close) to hear the fans. HDDs (red) and only noisy (if you can classify that as noisy) when there is a heavy intensive job kicking in (like multiple backup from multiple devices at the same time).

Vents on 916+, 1817+, 1517+ etc are large and really quiet so really don't think that will be an issue at all. Higher end models also have rubber feet as well as rubber rings that protect the ports where the HDDs meet with the caddy rails. So there is no noise transfer from HDDs to the chassis.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
x-skyber
Beginner
Beginner

Postby x-skyber » Sat May 27, 2017 6:42 am

Geky wrote:Just a quick one though cause I cannot stop myself: With all this HW and drives you are planning to purchase, how come low energy is a factor?
Good luck

When I compare the NAS I found that their energy usage is slightly different, so it would be nice to get an energy efficient one to save the electricity bill lol.

Rusty1281 wrote:Taking into account some of your requirements, I think + model will be in the end.

3. Streaming video (4K, 1080p) from NAS.

Keep in mind that this will depend on several factors. What platform will you use as your media organizer (DS Video, Plex, pain DLNA etc..), what clients and their app/platforms are supported as well as HW features, and number of users at any given time

I actually have no idea....I thought I can store the files and play it via MPV on my laptop...sorry really a newbie to NAS. What are you using?

Rusty1281 wrote:
4. Use NAS as a cloud storage where I or my family can upload/download files over the Internet like Dropbox. (I think that is the QuickConnect - Correct me if I'm wrong)

Its Synology's Cloud server and its addons that will give you a private DB experience (QuickConnect is a DDNS alternative)

Sound nice. That's probably what I'm looking for. If I expose my NAS to the Internet, what are the chance that my NAS getting hack? If I secure it properly, it should be safe right?

I think I got quite a good grasp of Synology NAS. I am a newbie to this, so if there are any suggestion or any comments, please post. Otherwise I will post more questions when I setup the unit. Cheers. Have a nice day.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:15 am

regards to the media streaming part of your question I use Plex as a platform. Keep in mind that Plex needs a server and client side to make it work. If your media content needs to be streamed to multiple devices then 1st does devices have to have a compliant plex client.

If your clients won't be able to process the file (audio or video) it will initiate a transcode process. That means that the task of converting that media file in a suitable format will fall on the plex server side (your nas) and its cpu. Non of Synos model can push multiple transcode streams before taxing your cpu 100% and killing your experience.

If your clients are compatible with the media file requirements then you won't have any problems at all.

Regarding security, it should be 1st thing that needs to be taken in to account. If you do several steps to harden your box there will be a small (if any) chance ever something happening to your box or your data. Just post if you have any follow up questions that you haven't found on the forum.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
x-skyber
Beginner
Beginner

Postby x-skyber » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:06 am

I'm setting up the NAS now. The admin is disabled. I changed the DSM port 5000 and 5001 to something else, but there is a problem. As I access my NAS locally from Safari, it says something about the certificate, so I just continued anyway. Why is that? Originally at port 5000/5001 there was no such warning. In Firefox, I cannot even access the NAS...

Also can I apply the Let's Encrypt certificate on the quickconnect? At the moment, quickconnect also give me a similar warning about the certifcate.

Edit: I also try to create a Synology DDNS. It says it is "normal" in the External Access under Control Panel. However when I try to connect to my Synology URL (synlogy.me) I couldn't. It just won't go (server stopped responding). I also run EZ-Internet and follow the instruction and it went smoothly, no error or anything. I still cannot access my synology web from my phone (4G network)...any help?

After this is working then I'll setup the VPN later.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:30 am

Well if you are accessing your DSM via https url and there is a self signed certificate on it, then yes, most browsers will report a warning about that, but will still let you use it if you set it up as an exception.

You can apply LE cert to your NAS to avoid that and to have a proper https communication with an issued 3rd party cert.
x-skyber
Beginner
Beginner

Postby x-skyber » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:38 am

Rusty1281 wrote:You can apply LE cert to your NAS to avoid that and to have a proper https communication with an issued 3rd party cert.

I cannot apply it to Quickconnect. It says an invalid domain name. There are so many problems right now but I'll try to focus it one at a time. Even in local network, Firefox report the certificate error even when I connect to my NAS locally. This happens when I changed the port number 5000/5001 to something else. How do I remove this certificate warning locally?

Externally as I wrote above, I cannot get access to my synology.me. What troubleshooting steps you recommend?
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:31 am

I didnt say you can apply it to QuickConnect. I said you can apply it to your NAS in general, meaning you can put LE cert on your DDNS custom name. Now you mention that you can't access your syno via synology.me. Does that mean you have a registered name via synology.me DDNS service?. If so the you can apply your LE cert to that and avoid having a cert warning.

On the other hand if you do manage to get that working, accessing your box from your local network via its IP address will still report a cert error. If LE is registered to a specific name, trying to access it via an IP over https protocol will result in an cert error as well. To avoid that your can try and access your NAS while in LAN via its public name (the one registered with LE). This will work if you router supports NAT loopback option. If it doesn't then you will have to access it via an IP or use a a host name record on your computer (the one you are accessing it DSM from) that will point your NAS address.

So you have 2 problems here. One is cert (not really a usability usage problem but something that you can bypass when you are inside the network), and your problem with accessing your NAS from the outside world.

Just to make something clear. You CAN access your NAS locally (regardless of your cert warning atm)? But you CAN'T access it via the Internet? If you have changed your ports, have you forwarded your ports on your router? Any firewalls in your scenario? Give a bit more technical description of your setup and what have you done regarding any additional change and maybe we can figure out what is the problem.
x-skyber
Beginner
Beginner

Postby x-skyber » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:09 pm

@ Rusty1281 I posted my reply to the other thread I created since I don't want to ask technical questions in general discussion section.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”