Synology DS916+ or DS1517+?

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
Terrible
I'm New!
I'm New!

Synology DS916+ or DS1517+?

Postby Terrible » Sun May 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Recently, I got myself a Synology DS1515+ from Amazon US; on the second day itself, the machine never switched back on. Fortunately, Amazon will refund everything including return shipping but they don't replace for international customers and thats me as I live in Mumbai. Now, I am left with two 10TB and two 8TB NAS Drives, with nothing to put them in. Also, it seems, DS1515+ is on its way out. So that brings in DS1517+. It's a bit higher in price, so looked at another option and DS916+ seemed like something I could do with. But honestly, I do not understand the intricacies of choosing NAS disk stations. My principal use is to store movies and music and be able to play them on various devices like my CA CXR200, TV, UDP 205 (arriving next week) or iPhone when I am out of home. I will also store documents, backup of my MacBook and ads as well as short films I direct. I already have about 10 to 12 TBs of stuff on external HDDs. So my question is, which Synology is for me? Your help in making me decide, will be greatly appreciated.

Also, it seems saner to buy it locally, as I may not be as lucky the next time if it breaks down and its not within the 30 days return period. But godamn, it costs $465 more than buying from Amazon US.
ethereal
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Synology DS916+ or DS1517+?

Postby ethereal » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:42 am

Terrible wrote:My principal use is to store movies and music and be able to play them on various devices

Go for the DS916+ (or DS918+) for sure: it has a better CPU for transcoding, and there is no need to worry about the CPU getting involved in the AVR54 issues.
Last edited by ethereal on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgarjr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Synology DS916+ or DS1517+?

Postby rgarjr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:54 am

Either is should be fine for what u plan on using it for. A lot of people like the 5 and 8 bay ones since u can put more drives.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”