Ds216j or Ds116 for my home?

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
rcocchiararo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Ds216j or Ds116 for my home?

Postby rcocchiararo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi!

Possible new member here :P

I currently have a gigabyte brix (most basic model) running windows acting as a media server in my house (External usb3 dock for a 2tb drive).

It runs EMBY, sickrage, kodi qith emby plugin (it is attached to my tv and i play with it, or stream to a chromecast thats in my room. Chromecast streaming is not alwas working).
I also have kodi on my more powerfull pc, not attached to any tv, where it flies.
Network is gigabit lan managed by a mikrotik (i have wifi, but only for the chromecast and phones)

Since starting kodi with the plugin on the weak pc has its issues, and chromecast is not that cool for this, i want to transform my setup as this:

NAS with photos/videos, sickrage/sickgear and mysql/mariadb (for synced kodi)
Gigabyte brix with openelec on my tv for kodi
Notebook (later to be replaced with a raspberry pi3) with openelec on my room for the same objective.
My pc with kodi, just in case.

All 3 devices would play the media themselves, no streaming required, no more emby (i never watch on my phone or tablet. EVER. And if i want to, i can install kodi on them).
(chromecast would remain for netflix, if needed).

As per my budget, i am between these 2: (the nas selector offers me both)
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products ... 116/DS216j

DS116
DS216j

I currently have no raid for data security, and my photos/vidoes (personal videos) are backed up to google photos (unlimited because of google pixel). In any case, we kind of have a copy of our photos on my perosnal computer and my wife has some on hers.

The ds216j has less ram and a slower CPU, but 2 bays. If the ds216j is enough for what i want, having RAID is a plus (i will need new disks tho, in the future).

Which should i chose ? :P (price is similar).
mdamda
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Ds216j or Ds116 for my home?

Postby mdamda » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Seems you will be better served by the 216J if just for the RAID.
rcocchiararo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Ds216j or Ds116 for my home?

Postby rcocchiararo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:59 pm

mdamda wrote:Seems you will be better served by the 216J if just for the RAID.

well, i already went with the 116 :P (chose more horsepower instead of data safety, that i don't really need, because the info i will have in my nas will either be volatile/redownloadable, or backed up somewhere else.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”