Like Synology but unsure about purchasing another

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
mauka
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Like Synology but unsure about purchasing another

Postby mauka » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:19 pm

DSM has worked well for me - but Synology hardware not so much.

I currently have a DS1515+ and a failed DS1511+ and DS413.

Both the DS1511+ and DS413 failed suddenly when attempting boot after a shutdown. Both were out of warranty by a few years, but still it's disappointing.

After reading about problems affecting Intel Atom 2000 CPUs, I hesitate to shutdown or reboot my DS1515+ and debate what to get for a NAS to NAS backup, now that my DS413 died.

I'd like to fix the DS1511+ and "think" the PSU is the problem, but Synology is out of stock and won't let me back order it.

Many more options available now then there were a few years ago, thinking about QNAP. That's it, just a little venting.
drabisan
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Like Synology but unsure about purchasing another

Postby drabisan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm with you on Atom problem.
Owning Synology 8+y now, I'm not actually disappointed at all by their hardware quality. But I'm not suffering from power failures, maybe 2-3 in the history of my oldest Synology.
I'm looking for next generation Intel based unit, a 5 or 8 slot unit, with no Atom 2000 CPU. I'll have to replace a 4yo DS413 for space reasons (I take too many pictures and...)

And yes, you are right, 216+ was kinda problematic, they saw some big heat with Atom 2000 and yeah...but let's not forget on a user forum majority will complain about problems. It's not something unique to Synology...I can bet you'll see the same on WD or QNAP user forums :)

About your 413? Are you sure PSU is not the one to be blame? It's a fairly standard PSU, you may borrow one or buy one to try to see if it's not just the PSU.
mauka
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Like Synology but unsure about purchasing another

Postby mauka » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:21 pm

drabisan wrote:I'm with you on Atom problem.
Owning Synology 8+y now, I'm not actually disappointed at all by their hardware quality. But I'm not suffering from power failures, maybe 2-3 in the history of my oldest Synology.
I'm looking for next generation Intel based unit, a 5 or 8 slot unit, with no Atom 2000 CPU. I'll have to replace a 4yo DS413 for space reasons (I take too many pictures and...)

And yes, you are right, 216+ was kinda problematic, they saw some big heat with Atom 2000 and yeah...but let's not forget on a user forum majority will complain about problems. It's not something unique to Synology...I can bet you'll see the same on WD or QNAP user forums :)

About your 413? Are you sure PSU is not the one to be blame? It's a fairly standard PSU, you may borrow one or buy one to try to see if it's not just the PSU.


Aloha,

Thanks for reply - I have been searching and reading the QNAP forum, and there are lots of posts about the Atom 2000 there as well.

Didn't suspect the 413 power supply because it's green LED is on - but it could be. Don't have another to try, but if I can find the pin out values I'll use my multi-meter.
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator
Posts: 971
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Like Synology but unsure about purchasing another

Postby sincarne » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:47 pm

mauka wrote:
Thanks for reply - I have been searching and reading the QNAP forum, and there are lots of posts about the Atom 2000 there as well.


QNAP no use that processor in any of their NAS
drabisan
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Like Synology but unsure about purchasing another

Postby drabisan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:59 pm

mauka wrote:Didn't suspect the 413 power supply because it's green LED is on - but it could be. Don't have another to try, but if I can find the pin out values I'll use my multi-meter.


That may be a "not enough amps" to boot all 4 drives.
mauka
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Like Synology but unsure about purchasing another

Postby mauka » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:19 pm

mauka wrote:
drabisan wrote:I'm with you on Atom problem.

About your 413? Are you sure PSU is not the one to be blame? It's a fairly standard PSU, you may borrow one or buy one to try to see if it's not just the PSU.


Didn't suspect the 413 power supply because it's green LED is on - but it could be. Don't have another to try, but if I can find the pin out values I'll use my multi-meter.


Have not found the pin values yet, but just measured 12volts on "both pairs" with multi-meter on my PSU. Less sure of measuring amps.
mauka
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Like Synology but unsure about purchasing another

Postby mauka » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:42 pm

drabisan wrote:
mauka wrote:Didn't suspect the 413 power supply because it's green LED is on - but it could be. Don't have another to try, but if I can find the pin out values I'll use my multi-meter.


That may be a "not enough amps" to boot all 4 drives.


Just tried the 413 with no drives - no luck, power switch clicks but no lights or fan movement.

Paid $500 for this NAS in November 2012 - disappointing.

Since doing a clean install on my Mac I was able to delete the old TimeMachine file and start a new one.

Now I have less than 5TB of data on the DS1515+ - so I'm going to pickup a 5TB external USB and do a full "legacy" HyperBackup.

I've also been looking at FreeNAS, because replacement parts are readily available for a PC.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests