Intel C2000 Series Failures

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
polanat
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Intel C2000 Series Failures

Postby polanat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 am

ethereal wrote:BIOS update to address AVR54 bricking? Shouldn't 17+ models have been fixed at board-level already? This looks pretty suspicious/dodgy to me. Synology seems to know that something's gonna happen to the 17+ models in 18 months (and it's confirmed that these 17+ models are still clearing stock of the old stepping Atom C2538), so they give this stealth update without saying what's under the hood.. Is it made right finally (with a BIOS update)? Cisco did not need to do the expensively massive recall?

The crucial question is for which units the release is dedicated - to the fixed ones (with 100 Ohm resistor) or to the non-fixed ones (still without 100 Ohm resistor) or for both????
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U
zenn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby zenn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Hello,

My DS415+ just bricked, and i know for sure that it comes from the CPU.
After removing the disk (i had only one in it), and tried to power it on, i had the blue LED blinking again... :-(
I can't tell you how frustrating this is...
I tried to reach Synology Support, sent them a Support Ticket Friday, but still no answer...
Does anyone here had the same experience with its DS415+ ? How did it go with the Support Center ?
(i read some of the thread posts but not entirely the whole thread).

Thanks.
Ego Shredder
Student
Student

Postby Ego Shredder » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:08 am

zenn wrote:Hello,

After removing the disk (i had only one in it), and tried to power it on, i had the blue LED blinking again... :-(
I tried to reach Synology Support, sent them a Support Ticket Friday, but still no answer...
Does anyone here had the same experience with its DS415+ ? How did it go with the Support Center ?

Thanks.

When did you purchase your DS415+ ? Also what kind of things did you use it for, e.g. general network shares between computers or did you do a lot of CPU intensive on-the-fly video encoding etc? I ask because I bought a DS415+ back in December 2014 and naturally I am very worried. However my unit has mainly just done network sharing, torrent downloading and a little Google Drive synchronising. All of that usually does not drive the CPU much, e.g. about 1% most of the time and the occasional brief bump for a few seconds to 20% or higher, and rarely above 50% when a torrent chokes a bit for a few mins. The CPU temperatures never go beyond 40°C give or take a few either way. So I wonder if how hard these CPUs are driven is key to if they fail or not?
Synology DS415+ DSM 5.1-5004 (bought December 2014) + 2x WD Red 6TB
Synology DS-101j DSM 2.0-0731 (bought February 2006)
dcervenka
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dcervenka » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:19 pm

I was in the process of recommending a Synology NAS to friend and happened to stumble across this thread. I purchased my first NAS, the DS1815+ back in Aug 2016 and no issues (yet).. but if my unit bricks because of this issue, will I be able to recover my data by moving the disks to another Synology NAS (whatever is provided by the warranty.. or the DS1817+)?

Thanks in advance!
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby cfuttrup » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:43 pm

dcervenka wrote:will I be able to recover my data by moving the disks to another Synology NAS?

Yes, search for Disk Migration. Your data is preserved in the process.

/Claus
jckrarup
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jckrarup » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi Board,

Okay, today I opened up my 8 month old DS1815+ and fitted a 1/4w 100 Ohm resistor across the pins of the connector.

I hate the idea of just waiting for it to fail and then having to struggle with wattanty / RMA

It was a really easy modification and I hope it will buy me some time.

If one bought a new Atom chip from Mouser (C2538 are just under 100 EUR)), I assume that it does not come balled. Is there anyone that would comment on the task of balling an soldering a replacement (stepping C0) onto the synology board ? I have done tons of hot air soldering, but never a BGA.

BR

J
DS410 (1 GB RAM) / DSM 4.1-3161B / 4 x WD20EARS (RAID 5)
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby iknowtech » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:17 pm

jckrarup wrote:Hi Board,

Okay, today I opened up my 8 month old DS1815+ and fitted a 1/4w 100 Ohm resistor across the pins of the connector.

I hate the idea of just waiting for it to fail and then having to struggle with wattanty / RMA

It was a really easy modification and I hope it will buy me some time.

If one bought a new Atom chip from Mouser (C2538 are just under 100 EUR)), I assume that it does not come balled. Is there anyone that would comment on the task of balling an soldering a replacement (stepping C0) onto the synology board ? I have done tons of hot air soldering, but never a BGA.

BR

J

I would say don't risk trying to change the CPU! Why would you want to risk it and void your warranty. Your NAS comes with a 4 year warranty now. If it fails in 18 months or 2 years or 3 years, who knows what they will be providing as replacement or repaired units down the line.
polanat
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby polanat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:56 pm

jckrarup wrote:Hi Board,or

I hate the idea of just waiting for it to fail and then having to struggle with warranty / RMA

It was a really easy modification and I hope it will buy me some time

Well done!

jckrarup wrote:If one bought a new Atom chip from Mouser (C2538 are just under 100 EUR)), I assume that it does not come balled.

The new chip is of exactly the same design (Socket type - BGA1283) and needs re-balling

jckrarup wrote:Is there anyone that would comment on the task of balling an soldering a replacement (stepping C0) onto the synology board ?

1. First of all I would suggest to understand whether Synology started (or NOT) soldering C2538 with C0 stepping - I advise every active forum user to check their new or RMA'd units with the relevant command via CLI,
2. If 1. is true I would strongly advise to understand whether there were some other changes apart from C2538 with C0 stepping (e.g. LPC bus) implemented on the PCB in order to conclude the feasibility of C2538 with C0 stepping re-balling,
3. You may raise a ticket to Synology asking them whether the re-balling is feasible, although not cheap ((
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
djr357
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby djr357 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:19 pm

My DS415+ just died.

I havent updated it in a while. Last update is did was 6.0 i believe (or maybe 6.1). Whenever the unit goes off and has to power back up, Im extremely leary of it ever coming back, that is why I havent updated it. It has actually never come back up form an update cleanly. Ive needed to power it down a few times and try booting it.

This time, it drops off the network (or so it seems. it may be freezing). I get the beep on boot and then at random times, it falls off the network.

At the behest of Support (who i have had a ticket open for this for over a week), the suggested to take all the drives out and boot it, seeing it it boots to a solid blue light. This did not happen as I have a rapidly blinking blue like and 4 orange solid drive lights. I called yesterday after no response form a few days ago and they said they would escalate it. Its saturday now. they dont work on saturday. No response yesterday.

I bought it off eBay new but not from a reseller, from a user. They said they bought it within 2 months of selling it to me and that was exactly 24 months ago. Way to go warranty... Now i gotta find a DS415+ (which isnt that easy), transfer the drives to it and the figure out if im going to keep it, buy a newer synology or dump synology altogether. Shame as I havent had any problems with this unit (other than the powering up after update) at all. Its been a decent little unit.

Knowing that there is issues with the DSX15+ and DSXX15+ series, Im not sure if i will keep the ds415+ i havent to buy to get my data off it.

frustrated more about the lack of support than anything really.
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby iknowtech » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:51 am

djr357 wrote:My DS415+ just died.

I havent updated it in a while. Last update is did was 6.0 i believe (or maybe 6.1). Whenever the unit goes off and has to power back up, Im extremely leary of it ever coming back, that is why I havent updated it. It has actually never come back up form an update cleanly. Ive needed to power it down a few times and try booting it.

This time, it drops off the network (or so it seems. it may be freezing). I get the beep on boot and then at random times, it falls off the network.

At the behest of Support (who i have had a ticket open for this for over a week), the suggested to take all the drives out and boot it, seeing it it boots to a solid blue light. This did not happen as I have a rapidly blinking blue like and 4 orange solid drive lights. I called yesterday after no response form a few days ago and they said they would escalate it. Its saturday now. they dont work on saturday. No response yesterday.

I bought it off eBay new but not from a reseller, from a user. They said they bought it within 2 months of selling it to me and that was exactly 24 months ago. Way to go warranty... Now i gotta find a DS415+ (which isnt that easy), transfer the drives to it and the figure out if im going to keep it, buy a newer synology or dump synology altogether. Shame as I havent had any problems with this unit (other than the powering up after update) at all. Its been a decent little unit.

Knowing that there is issues with the DSX15+ and DSXX15+ series, Im not sure if i will keep the ds415+ i havent to buy to get my data off it.

frustrated more about the lack of support than anything really.

I would think you should be able to get a warranty replacement even if you bought it 2nd hand. ANY DS415+ in existence, would still be within the warranty period especially with the extra year they added.

I would just tell Synology that you want a replacement that has the fix for C2000 Series CPU problem. They shouldn't hassle you about this.

You also wouldn't necessarily have to use another Synology NAS to get your Data off. Any Linux computer would probably suffice and there are even Data Recovery tools you can use in Windows that will rebuild the RAID and allow you to extract the data.

If for some reason they don't honor the warranty and you decide you want to buy another Synology, you can get any Synology NAS with 4 drives or more and do a simple migration. I would probably go for a DS918+ which should be out any time now, or you could wait for a DS418+ but that could be a longer wait.
zenn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby zenn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Ego Shredder wrote:
zenn wrote:Hello,

Thanks.

When did you purchase your DS415+ ? Also what kind of things did you use it for, e.g. general network shares between computers or did you do a lot of CPU intensive on-the-fly video encoding etc? I ask because I bought a DS415+ back in December 2014 and naturally I am very worried. However my unit has mainly just done network sharing, torrent downloading and a little Google Drive synchronising. All of that usually does not drive the CPU much, e.g. about 1% most of the time and the occasional brief bump for a few seconds to 20% or higher, and rarely above 50% when a torrent chokes a bit for a few mins. The CPU temperatures never go beyond 40°C give or take a few either way. So I wonder if how hard these CPUs are driven is key to if they fail or not?

I bought the DS415+ in March/April 2015, and i used Plex from time to time, rather using DLNA than an on-the-fly video encoding. i don't think it was related to CPU usage, 99% of the time it was below 1% i think.
I received a reply from Synology, 1 week after..., i really don't understand the delay, and they are sending me another DS415+ with S/N that begins with: 15C...
On top of that they are asking me to pay for the shipping fees of the faulty DS415+ ... They are not replying to my questions either... I don't know how their Support Center works...
richyo
Trainee
Trainee

Postby richyo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Damn just found this thread. My 1815+ died a month ago but I had issues powering it on 2months ago.
So i did a RMA and got a new DS1815+ again. New SN and all.

I did not check my stepping on my old 1815+. My new NAS still has stepping 8 with SN#1571
DS1815+
4X WD RED 3TB
RAID 5
mc92
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mc92 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Replacement unit is on the way.

My concern is that the replacement unit will operate for a similar amount of time, and then eventually suffer the same fate.

Is this a valid concern?
polanat
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby polanat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:02 am

mc92 wrote:Replacement unit is on the way.

My concern is that the replacement unit will operate for a similar amount of time, and then eventually suffer the same fate.

Is this a valid concern?

It is a really tricky question. The crucial point is to know how heavily the replacement unit was utilised before they fixed it with a resistor (short term solution from Intel). It would be much better if they could implement long term solution (C0 stepping). So in order to continue the analysis you should provide the two things - first 3 digits of the serial number of the replacement unit and CPU stepping level via CLI ...
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby cfuttrup » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:05 pm

I thought the DS415+ was supposed to have an extra year of support / extended warranty due to the Intel C2000 CPU-issue, but then I looked here:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/status?model=DS415%2B
This shows that the warranty is just the standard two years. Not good.

/Claus

Return to “General Products Inquiries”