Synology usage scenario [confusion/compilation]

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
vitalion
I'm New!
I'm New!

Synology usage scenario [confusion/compilation]

Unread post by vitalion » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Hello all,

I am on the market for NAS solution that will answer the following scenario in an Apple eco system

So here is the plan in my head

I have an iMac with a SSD that has the following “folders”
-Active Jobs
-Resources
-My Documents
-OSX

Additionally I have an External HDD A connected to the iMac via USB3.0 that includes the following
-Archived Jobs
-Media files (Music and Video files)

Both iMac SSD and the External HDD A are on a time machine to the External HDD B that backups everything from both storage mediums (iMac SSD and External HDD A)

So far everything is good. That is the my setup now.

Want i would like to do now and what are the possibilities of doing it

Recently i’ ve been exploring the possibility of replacing the External HDDs with a NAS and i am wandering if it possible.
So here is the scenario that i am looking at:

Synology NAS that has the following
-Archived Jobs
-Media (Music and Video files)
-Incremental Backups for the iMac SSD (Active Jobs, Resources, My Documents)

Additionally I would like to have the following folders in 2-way sync
-Active Jobs
-Resources
-Archived Jobs

Basically Active Jobs and Resources folders will be on the NAS twice as far as i can tell

1. Via the incremental backups (i do not touch these - BACK UP)
2. As synced folders in order to be able to edit them (lets say from my work computer)

On top of that i am planning to use one of the 2 EXT HDD and connect it to the Synology in order to have mirror back up of the following

-Mac SSD
-Archived Jobs
-Media

Unfortunately i can not post a diagram directly in order to show what i want to do.

Based on all the info i would like to know if it is possible and in case that is possible can i do it with a Synology DS118 or DS218+?

Thank you in advance. Please feel free to send suggestion or ask for any further info.

Regards
V.

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: Synology usage scenario [confusion/compilation]

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 pm

In short all can be done and my vote would be a + model for sure (more power and future proof)
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Return to “General Products Inquiries”