Intel C2000 Series Failures

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
iknowtech
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Intel C2000 Series Failures

Unread post by iknowtech » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Remirr wrote:
iknowtech wrote:
Remirr wrote:They only true test will be to see how long it lasts.
As does mine, minus the dust. But that is my point and why I am trying to see if there is anyway to see the total uptime of a NAS. I don't want to accept this one if it is stupidly high.
I don't believe there is anyway to verify, and even if there was I'm sure Synology would clear that data before sending the refurb units out.

Your in the same boat as everyone else with 15+ Unit with this CPU, you get to wait and see. My guess is you'll probably last until the warranty expires. :)

Recondite
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Recondite » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 pm

The end of my story.

I received a brand new DS1817+ as replacement for my broken DS1815+ today.

Popped the hood and no through hole resistor on the MB and from what I can see no other bodge either.
I have contacted Synology to check if I can buy extended warranty on this one, it is brand new but a replacement so before i pay 120$ I would like to know that i can register the extended warranty.

The migration from DS1815+ to DS1817+ went like a charm. Just popping in the disks, boot, connect via browser, follow the guide, reboot and I was back where the 1815+ left off, settings and all. Took approximately 20 minutes.

So all and in all everything turned out for the best for me.

Remirr
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Remirr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:41 pm

Recondite wrote:it is brand new but a replacement so before i pay 120$
Hey Recondite - how did you manager to get the new model? Did they offer to send you the new one for $120?

Thanks

Recondite
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Recondite » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 am

Remirr wrote:
Hey Recondite - how did you manager to get the new model? Did they offer to send you the new one for $120?

Thanks
No you misunderstood, my native language is not English so that is understandable.

What I meant was that the extended warranty is 120$ but I would like to be sure that the extended warranty can be registered on my DS1817+ that I received as a replacement for my broken DS1815+.
Even though the DS1817+ is brand new it is still a replacement and per se I have not bought that particular unit.

My retailer handled the return and did offer me a DS1817 first, but I declined and proposed that they send me a DS1817+ instead because it better match the 1815+, they accepted and the day after it arrived.

Zemax_59
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Zemax_59 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I've just discovered this issue, too late apparently, because it my DS415+ doesn't want to turn on (blue led blinking, no status led and all HD leds orange)

I've read that Synology has extended the warranty to 1 additional year at that time for all Atom C2538 models (it was in Feb 2017).

Is it still working today ?
Thanks

Remirr
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Remirr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Zemax_59 wrote:Hi everyone,

I've just discovered this issue, too late apparently, because it my DS415+ doesn't want to turn on (blue led blinking, no status led and all HD leds orange)

I've read that Synology has extended the warranty to 1 additional year at that time for all Atom C2538 models (it was in Feb 2017).

Thanks
Yeah just write to them and don't say anything about purchase dates - they will honour it.

Yippym
Student
Student

Unread post by Yippym » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Zemax_59 wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks
The DS415+ only had 2 years warranty, with the added 1 year making it very close to your expiration. Let us know how you get on.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products ... l=DS415%2B

Other devices has 3 years default warranty with the added 1 year.

DS1515+
DS1815+
DS2415+
RS815(RP)+
RS2416(RP)+
RT2600ac
DS218+ 16GB RAM (2* Crucial CT102464BF160B)
RS3412RPxs 32GB RAM (4* Kingston KVR16LE11/8) upgraded CPU to E3-1260L :)
Sold - RS815+ 16GB RAM (2* Crucial CT102464BF160B)
Sold - RS2212RP+ 1GB RAM (Default)
Sold - RS2211RP+ 3GB RAM (1GB Default + 1* Kingston KVR667D2S5K2)

Yippym
Student
Student

Unread post by Yippym » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Recondite wrote:
Remirr wrote:

Thanks
No you misunderstood, my native language is not English so that is understandable.

What I meant was that the extended warranty is 120$ but I would like to be sure that the extended warranty can be registered on my DS1817+ that I received as a replacement for my broken DS1815+.
Even though the DS1817+ is brand new it is still a replacement and per se I have not bought that particular unit.

My retailer handled the return and did offer me a DS1817 first, but I declined and proposed that they send me a DS1817+ instead because it better match the 1815+, they accepted and the day after it arrived.
If the reseller is providing you the extended warranty it would mean from the start date you purchased the DS1815+. Though with the brand new DS1817+ you effectively got 3 years warranty with Synology.
RT2600ac
DS218+ 16GB RAM (2* Crucial CT102464BF160B)
RS3412RPxs 32GB RAM (4* Kingston KVR16LE11/8) upgraded CPU to E3-1260L :)
Sold - RS815+ 16GB RAM (2* Crucial CT102464BF160B)
Sold - RS2212RP+ 1GB RAM (Default)
Sold - RS2211RP+ 3GB RAM (1GB Default + 1* Kingston KVR667D2S5K2)

tomaszg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tomaszg » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Hello there,

new on the Forum.

Just registered here to notify You that our DS2415+ fully filled with disks, consisting with DX1215 expansion bay filled without just two, suddenly died recently, just 2 yrs and 4 months after being online.
Lost access to around 60TB of our data in few seconds.

Never back it on-line after usual reboot followed by firmware upgrade, which was done everytime during scheduled mainteance window. Unit was 24h/day monitored by SNMP, data written to arrays every night during mainteance window, that was large backup storage. Yep, IT WAS.

Personally I suspect builtin Atom C2538 failure, or the controller, or the backplane of the main unit. Had no chances to figure it out, serial console is disabled. Had to fight with warranty services for RMA of the unit.
Lucky, I'm experienced Linux user enough to fix all these "root partition crashed" errors, RAID array rebuild issues and other problems on newer replacement unit.

Have advice for You, guys: DON'T REBOOT IT unless You have a backup unit !!!

iknowtech
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by iknowtech » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:01 pm

tomaszg wrote:Hello there,

new on the Forum.

Just registered here to notify You that our DS2415+ fully filled with disks, consisting with DX1215 expansion bay filled without just two, suddenly died recently, just 2 yrs and 4 months after being online.
Lost access to around 60TB of our data in few seconds.

Never back it on-line after usual reboot followed by firmware upgrade, which was done everytime during scheduled mainteance window. Unit was 24h/day monitored by SNMP, data written to arrays every night during mainteance window, that was large backup storage. Yep, IT WAS.

Personally I suspect builtin Atom C2538 failure, or the controller, or the backplane of the main unit. Had no chances to figure it out, serial console is disabled. Had to fight with warranty services for RMA of the unit.
Lucky, I'm experienced Linux user enough to fix all these "root partition crashed" errors, RAID array rebuild issues and other problems on newer replacement unit.

Have advice for You, guys: DON'T REBOOT IT unless You have a backup unit !!!
You almost certainly had a failure of the Intel CPU, did you have a single Volume spanning the main unit and the expansion bay? If so that's why you most likely are experiencing data issues. That's never a good practice. When these units start failing because of the Intel CPU issue, they can have basically sudden loss of power like behavior which is very dangerous and can lead to data corruption when your spanning a large volume over a wire between two physical hardware units. Key take away don't span your volumes over the wire, then you probably would have just been able to take your previous drives and put them directly in the RMA'd unit and been up and running.

Also, the 2415+ should come with at least a 4 year warranty, after the extra year that Synology added to all the Intel C2000 Series units.

aponnath
I'm New!
I'm New!

Power Failure and Negligence on Synology Part

Unread post by aponnath » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Ok, don't get me wrong here but the way Synology is handling the power failure issue due to faulty hardware is completely unacceptable.

I would be interested in finding out how many people had there device stop with no warning ? Synology knew that this will or could happen
but did not contact customers of effected units to work with them to prevent failures. Rather they take the approach we will fix it when
it happens and you get screwed and be with out data. I have over 60 TB which i can access now for over 5 days while waiting for a replacement.

At this point trying to get an idea how many people are effected by this and see what action to take against Synology.

tomaszg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tomaszg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm back to tell You how the case went.

The DS2415+ unit has been replaced after 11 days since requested RMA. These 2 weeks was without access to the data was too long for us, so we have to use replacement unit in the meantime (unit that support DX1215 expansion bay).
The DS2415+ replacement unit is shipped with the same CPU as earlier:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Code: Select all

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 77
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  C2538  @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 8
microcode       : 0x121
cpu MHz         : 2400.000
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 11
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch arat epb dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms
bogomips        : 4787.80
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor       : 1
core id         : 1
apicid          : 2
initial apicid  : 2
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch arat epb dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms
power management:

processor       : 2
core id         : 2
apicid          : 4
initial apicid  : 4
power management:

processor       : 3
core id         : 3
apicid          : 6
initial apicid  : 6
power management:
but don't know is it the same revision, so I'm posting CPUinfo output.
EDIT: Stepping C0 shold be bug-free, this is Stepping 8.

We're aware of second failure of the unit in next 2-3 years as this is heavy loaded storage system.

The original unit had 4 volumes with perfectly health condition. I know what issues may cause spreading volumes accros multi-chassis so the answer for question is NO, they weren't split accros multi-chassis.
Unexpectly, one of these volumes was not recoverable due strange behaviour of mdadm wich took out-of-order disks of one of the volumes (even when they were inserted in correct order). So I had to do all manual linux RAID recovery steps once again to get it back on-line (something like ~420 lines of the code including output). This sounds like a software issue. Anyway, in the end, 60TB of the data is back on-line.

But the Question remains: for HOW LONG?
I don't blame Synology for this situation. They have great products and great software. I blame Intel. Once again, after Spectre/Meldtown they s****d up..
Last edited by tomaszg on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pl0
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pl0 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:39 pm

My turn, my DS1815+ is dying and been RMAd. 7 days turnaround from receipt for a replacement, OR I get a refund from Amazon and pay another £300 to get the 1817+

It's my understanding, I can just yank the drives out, put them into the 1817+ in the exact same order, and just power up - is that right? Thanks everyone

Twisted World
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by Twisted World » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Yes, and after that login to DSM to "Migrate" to the new DiskStation. I believe it doesn't even matter what order the drives are in, but it wouldn't hurt to use the same order anyways if you still have the chance to label them.
[ DS916+ | DS216+II | DS1815+ | EDS14 | DS212+ | DS211+ | DS411slim ]

TarpitCarnivore
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by TarpitCarnivore » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Just learning of this problem with Synology. I purchased my 415+ in Jan 2015 and it's been fine with no alarming issues that I have seen. I'm wondering if I should try to get an ARMA with a potential fix or just keep riding this out and see? I'm trying to read through the forum for how to judge stability of your Synology but I can't seem to find anything indicating potential signs.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”