Intel C2000 Series Failures

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
aderrington
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Intel C2000 Series Failures

Postby aderrington » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the country that the old unit has to be sent back to? Just concerned about costs if it has to go back to Taiwan....

Cheers,
Andrew
henrikwils
Trainee
Trainee

Postby henrikwils » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:38 pm

cfuttrup wrote:
cameronr wrote:Sure, the extra year of warranty is nice but I don't really want to deal with another failure in a year or so.

At least in Denmark, your warranty period starts when you receive the replacement unit ... not from the time you got the first unit.

/Claus

Yes, when you receive a new unit from your dealer covered by the warranty under danish law. Danish law is not applicable when you receive a replacement unit from another country from manifacturer extended warranty.
henrikwils
Trainee
Trainee

Postby henrikwils » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:39 pm

aderrington wrote:Hi,

Can anyone confirm the country that the old unit has to be sent back to? Just concerned about costs if it has to go back to Taiwan....

Cheers,
Andrew

In Europe, I had to send it to UK.
julianv
Trainee
Trainee

Postby julianv » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:22 am

aderrington wrote:Hi,

Cheers,
Andrew

It's also worth checking if you can return the unit to your reseller, for them to send it back to Synology. For some people that would be the cheapest and easiest option.
henrikwils
Trainee
Trainee

Postby henrikwils » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:36 am

lburns wrote:What is needed is a series of high resolution scans of the boards before RMA and after.

Here you go:

lburns wrote:Then, those of us that are more on the engineering side can evaluate the differences in traces, and components.
These images need to be close up and taken in exactly the same locations for photo overlay comparison.

Go nuts!

I don't see a difference on the boards, and as I've said, I don't believe there is, as the revision number should then be increased.

CPU stepping is also still 8 (affected) on the 172-board, so they also didn't just use a newer CPU.

I'm inclined to say that I believe this is purely damage control, trying to shut up people. At least that gives them 18 months until they have to replace a unit again (or hope that they run out of warranty meanwhile).
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby cfuttrup » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:05 pm

There's lots of comments about this, different experiences, dissatisfaction, potential rumors, etc.

I recommend that Synology fabricate a statement (not necessarily here, but somewhere), so we can all understand what's going on.

/Claus
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:28 pm

cfuttrup wrote:There's lots of comments about this, different experiences, dissatisfaction, potential rumors, etc.

I recommend that Synology fabricate a statement (not necessarily here, but somewhere), so we can all understand what's going on.

/Claus

This has been requested several times and we have been either ignored or placated with "legal prevents us from explaining".
It's all B.S. and a sign that Synology is irrationally alienating customers.
polanat
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby polanat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:47 am

cfuttrup wrote:There's lots of comments about this, different experiences, dissatisfaction, potential rumors, etc.

/Claus

Every single case should be treated individually - so no statement is expected from Synology, but a ticket can (and have) to be opened to the Synology Technical Support with the wording like this:

"Dear Sir or Madam, within the authorised RMA process I have received the "repaired" XXXX unit, which based on the serial number was manufactured in Feb-17. As per the Synology statement ("Since February 2017, suggested improvements from the component manufacturer are incorporated into current and future models") the received unit is expected to be fixed. However, after disassembling I have found NO RESISTER SOLDERED ON THE PCB. Could you please confirm that the necessary fix WAS IMPLEMENTED AT THE MANUFACTURING LINE or somehow differently from the soldering a single resistor manually?"

PS Feel free to make any changes you wish - the main idea should be clear :wink:
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby cfuttrup » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:53 am

polanat wrote:

/Claus

Every single case should be treated individually

Hi polanat - the purpose of a statement is to prevent different experiences, dissatisfaction, potential rumors, etc. I don't disagree about your statement, that each case has to be evaluated - but for good reasons, this individual treatment should be based on common guidelines. Some element of transparency is preferred.

/Claus
polanat
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby polanat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:16 am

cfuttrup wrote:
polanat wrote:

/Claus

Every single case should be treated individually

Hi polanat - the purpose of a statement is to prevent different experiences, dissatisfaction, potential rumors, etc. I don't disagree about your statement, that each case has to be evaluated - but for good reasons, this individual treatment should be based on common guidelines. Some element of transparency is preferred.

/Claus

This was discussed here thousand of times and you are not the first who demanded such transparency from Synology :wink: . However, life is life and nothing more will come as further statement from Synology because initially they denied Cisco approach (massive recall for eligible customers). If you think the more we write here on this thread - the sooner Synology state something officially - this will NOT happen for sure. Synology position re the affected models is the following:

1. You are granted + 1 More Year Extended Warranty - so should calm down and relax for some time :wink: ,
2. The fix is treated confidential and will never be published officially - so you are not allowed to DIY due to the loss of warranty,
3. You are reassured in RMA only in case your unit fails within warranty - so this is general approach and any other cases are just lucky exceptions

PS Indeed, some "firm but polite" guys managed to get their replacements for still working units - however as I said their exceptional cases might have resulted from some human mistakes from the other non-customer's side ...

PSS Maybe in half a year the statistical failure rates will increase and Synology will have to address this somehow, but surely not now ((
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U
adprom
Sharp
Sharp

Postby adprom » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:19 am

There is an NDA with intel preventing any manufacturer discussing the fix.

This is not just Synology related but impacting the entire IT industry
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:26 am

adprom wrote:There is an NDA with intel preventing any manufacturer discussing the fix.

This is not just Synology related but impacting the entire IT industry

And while your clarifying that point-one which we already know about, allow me clarify this one...

I assure you no one cares.

This is the worst kind of "hiding behind the rulebook" and history shows the damage it causes to the customer base.

Synology can see it three or four times on every page of this thread.
adprom
Sharp
Sharp

Postby adprom » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:33 am

lburns wrote:And while your clarifying that point-one which we already know about, allow me clarify this one...

I assure you no one cares.

This is the worst kind of "hiding behind the rulebook" and history shows the damage it causes to the customer base.

Synology can see it three or four times on every page of this thread.

Actually yes they do - because in return for Intel providing the fix there are some significant contractual penalties if that NDA is breached.

Don't go saying stuff when you don't know what is at stake with the manufactruers. This is affecting everyone from Synology, to some very large networking companies to telcos remediating thousands of routers.
EOL
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby EOL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Can someone confirm the resistor fix for the DS1815+?

I have a DS1815+ with a pre 172 serial and there does not seem to be a resistor installed below the expansion memory slot on the 12-pin empty header space
See attached photo:
https://ibb.co/jKTGnk

Is the post & photo at https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 80#p483657
correct for the DS1815+? 100 ohm resistor?

Due to the high shipping cost it is not an option for me to return the DS1815+ for repair so I will have to do this mod myself, accepting the voided warranty if that's the result of modifying it myself. I am an electronics tech with soldering experience so this simple mod should be easy to do.

Can anyone confirm this 100 ohm resistor mod is the only one that is done for the DS1815?
Last edited by EOL on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:17 pm

adprom wrote:Actually yes they do - because in return for Intel providing the fix there are some significant contractual penalties if that NDA is breached.

Don't go saying stuff when you don't know what is at stake with the manufactruers. This is affecting everyone from Synology, to some very large networking companies to telcos remediating thousands of routers.

Hold up..

You are being a bit "tone deaf" there.
The "NO ONE" in that context above was CLEARLY meaning "US" the consumer.

It had already been established in your own post (that I was replying to) that Synology clearly "cares about" the NDA.

To rephrase (for ultra-clarity) ...

I am saying that Intel and its OEM channels are all hiding "behind the rule book" and that we, the consumers do not care for or about NDA's that keep us vulnerable and in the dark.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”