My Support Experiance

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
mlinder
I'm New!
I'm New!

My Support Experiance

Postby mlinder » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:02 am

My DS1515+ PSU died.

08-Mar-2017 01:30p sent in tech support ticket all day never heard anything

09-Mar-2017 11:58a called tech support, they said they bumped the priory and I should hear back, 5:30p no call/email

09-Mar-2017 05:32p called tech support to ask status, they said they could do an RMA and I'd get a refurbished unit, no option to have a PSU shipped to me. I asked about buying a PSU and was directed to their web site which then let me add a PSU to my card and then removed because it was out of stock, the support person could not tell me when/if they were were going to get any in-stock.

For support I'd give Synology an F-, is this the normal support? Perhaps this is good enough for home users, but no one that takes their data serious!

I'm not sure what I should do at this point, I need a product that has much better support than this. down time of days is not acceptable at all.
What does everyone else do, buy (2) of the same thing, a backup for the Synology ?

For the unit itself, it seems decent, software is pretty good, but failures like this is not an option.

Regards,
Matt
BookIT
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: My Support Experiance

Postby BookIT » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:14 am

Raised a ticket through websit a couple of weeks ago, didn't get confirmation with tickets number and was never contacted by Synology Tech Support. Yesterday I had an email asking me to rate how they handled Ticket #1032485!
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby iknowtech » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Actually, if you had a response from someone at Synology within 2 days offering an RMA of a refurbished unit, you're probably doing way better than most when it comes to dealing with Synology support.

I've always wondered how Synology could consider themselves even remotely Enterprise level. I don't know of any Enterprise (even large/medium businesses for that matter) that would be able to live with Synology's limited support options.

I think really if you know you need to be able to be back online within a day or two, and you don't have the option of moving the Synology provided services/data storage to another device (even temporarily) in the event of a failure, your only real option is to run in high availability mode with two units or have a backup unit on hand.

I only use them in SMB's, where i have a game plan arranged to deal with the possibility of failure.
Noah
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Noah » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:27 am

mlinder wrote:My DS1515+ PSU died.

08-Mar-2017 01:30p sent in tech support ticket all day never heard anything

09-Mar-2017 11:58a called tech support, they said they bumped the priory and I should hear back, 5:30p no call/email

09-Mar-2017 05:32p called tech support to ask status, they said they could do an RMA and I'd get a refurbished unit, no option to have a PSU shipped to me. I asked about buying a PSU and was directed to their web site which then let me add a PSU to my card and then removed because it was out of stock, the support person could not tell me when/if they were were going to get any in-stock.

For support I'd give Synology an F-, is this the normal support? Perhaps this is good enough for home users, but no one that takes their data serious!

I'm not sure what I should do at this point, I need a product that has much better support than this. down time of days is not acceptable at all.
What does everyone else do, buy (2) of the same thing, a backup for the Synology ?

For the unit itself, it seems decent, software is pretty good, but failures like this is not an option.

Regards,
Matt

Pay PREMIUM prices, get PREMIUM support.

Synology is top value for Euro/Yen/dollar/whatever.

But if you want a wet waitress with nice boobs and a hot string comforting you within 16 minutes, go buy something from the insanely expensive guys. And make sure you buy the VIP package, which gets you female on site 'customer support'.

Question: so, from which ivy league university did you get your PhD, summa cum laude with honors from the president, of course?

Point being: I'm getting tired of all these people demanding support like they are the most special person on earth, in the process insulting *very hard working* sincere people in Taiwan. You expect support within hours, not even understanding you are one of hundreds of thousands of customers, and you didn't even pay premium support prices.

People are people.

He who is without sin throw the first stone.
Somebody here sucks big time. BIG time. Small...
Cheney Coker
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cheney Coker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:56 pm

I've only had limited interaction with Synology support but every time has been excellent.
DS2413+ 12-bay with seven 5TB drives, 4gig ram. Less than 20tb in use, mostly for media. This is being streamed by PLEX from an older Dell server with six Xeon 2.66ghz, 18 gig ram.
TopGunSF
Trainee
Trainee

Support

Postby TopGunSF » Fri May 19, 2017 6:24 pm

How does one go about getting support for a Synology system?

I've been trying to deal with a data corruption issue for the last 4 days - essentially trying to run fsck or something similar, and so far a support ticket has yielded: "There's no way to do that."

While two calls to support gave me: "We can do that, but we're not allowed to tell you how. Sorry, you can try the forums." and "I can't help you."

Is there a way to get real support for this system? This is abysmal - I am beyond disappointed in Synology here.
Geky
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Geky » Sat May 20, 2017 1:39 pm

I am not a big fan of Synology support but some times we must be reslistic in our expectations.
Every business and home user should do their planning and define their strategy of how they want their data secure and available.

Thereafter they should choose the HW and the supplier of the solution that best fits their needs.
Having one set of data residing in any (synology, qnap, windows etc) file server will not solve the problem of the file server's HW failure even if the supplier is able to RMA the unit in 24 hours; which is rather unrealistic from most suppliers.
If the availability of the data is important then a standby file server (hot or cold standby) is paramount to exist.
If the availability of the data is not that important then each individual should accept that there is waiting period for the HW to be fixed or replaced. 2-3 days doesn't sound like a lot I have to say.
TopGunSF
Trainee
Trainee

Postby TopGunSF » Sat May 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Synology support falls well short of what anyone might reasonably expect from a similar company.

I had a data corruption issue recently, my goal was to run fsck - however I wasn't familiar with how/where Synology was mounting data, what processes needed to be terminated, etc. Running a file system consistency check on a data storage device does not seem, to me, like an unreasonable action - so I figured I'd give support a shot.

-First I emailed support, 3 days later I got a response saying it was impossible.
-So I called support, who told me that it was possible but they couldn't tell me how and that I should check on the forums to see if anyone had "figured it out". (Seriously.)
--Checking through the forums yielded about a dozen different suggestions on how to do what I needed, none of which worked as-stated and 2 of which caused me to have to perform unclean shutdowns to get the box back up.
-I posted in the forums here, asking if there was another/better support channel I could use. A mod moved it into this thread (because it's easier to hide the problems than fix your support, right?).
-I called support again, who told me this time "I can't help you." - at which point I asked to speak to a manager.
--A manager called me back a bit later, and let me know that they also couldn't tell me the commands needed due to "legal issues" - but that one of their techs could do a TeamViewer and enter them, to which I agreed.
---I got same tech I got when I first emailed, who then spent the next 3 hours demanding proof of data corruption and arguing with me, until I'd finally figured it out myself and closed the ticket.

The really sad part here is, the second tech and the manager both wanted to help - whatever policies they have in place apparently do not allow the "support" group to support their customers.
The first tech, the same one I had the misfortune of being stuck with again at the end - I've no idea what his goal was, but it certainly wasn't helping a customer.

What kind of management makes a rule that you can't tell a customer how to operate their product? It's ridiculous - and then being lied to by the "level 2" tech, and when caught in the lie argued with about it and made to jump through hoops (provide "evidence of corruption") until I was frustrated enough I started risking yet more of my data trying things at random to get the job done myself.
I'm disgusted with Synology support - currently own two Synology products, and I promise I'll never own another.
andrew.lai
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby andrew.lai » Mon May 22, 2017 7:09 am

Hi,

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
We will review the support tickets mentioned in this thread and make contact accordingly.

Thank you.
joshuaavalon2
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby joshuaavalon2 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:41 am

andrew.lai wrote:Hi,

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
We will review the support tickets mentioned in this thread and make contact accordingly.

Thank you.

I am facing the same problem. Please help me. My ticket is #1075164

Return to “The Lounge”