Incremental backup solution

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
maticus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Incremental backup solution

Postby maticus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi there,
I've just helped my friend to recover from a major disaster (with major file loss, ntfsundelete and stuff)... nevermind ;-)

I'm looking for a small-office scale solution (a few workstations) for incremental backups.
It should provide with strong anti-tampering - there should be no way for users to delete their own backups.
There should be an easy way for users to specify what to backup, and once its done the backups shall be done automatically, preferably real-time or at least every day.
The backups should provide a few "snapshots" - something around "day ago, two days ago, week ago, two weeks ago, month ago, 2 moths, year, 2 years"

Is it possible to achieve that with Synology NAS solutions? Do they differ in software, or the cheapest one - DS115j - will suffice (but i'll probably go with something raid-mirroring capable anyway...)?
It is possible to additionaly specify some small temporary file space for file sharing/transfer, separate to the backups?
akahan
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Incremental backup solution

Postby akahan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:31 am

You can do that by installing backup software of your choice on the workstations, and directing it to save the backups to the Synology.
The backup software can be set to save the backups to an account on the Synology that the user doesn't have access to, so the user would not be able to modify or delete their own backups.
I use Macrium Reflect; it works great, and fulfills all your requirements.
maticus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maticus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks for replying

The backup software can be set to save the backups to an account on the Synology that the user doesn't have access to

Does it mean that the access rights are forced by the backup software / user's OS?
Or are they forced by Synology NAS and the above mentioned account has no mod/del capabilities?

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm assuming poorly maintained users' computers, with all sorts of malicious (aware and unaware) actions,
so I'm also assuming that the backup account credentials could be extracted from user's backup software and abused.
akahan
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby akahan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 pm

The Macrium Reflect software stores its own copy of the user ID and password it will use to access the network share.
It terminates the share as soon as the backup task finishes.

I don't know whether Macrium stores the user ID and password in encrypted form, such that it would be difficult for malware to fish the credentials from wherever Macrium stores them, but it seems LIKELY to me that Macrium would store the password, at the least, in encrypted form.

I suppose if you want something bulletproof, you could use two Synology Diskstations: The PCs back up to the first one, using credentials known only to the backup software running on the PCs.
The first Diskstation then backs up to the second one, using credentials that are known to NONE of the PCs.

Since the credentials on the second Diskstation are unknown to any of your PCs, or any application running on any of the PCs, I think ransomeware would have a hard time obtaining access to it from any of the PCs. Then, if you use versioning on the second Diskstation, you'll still have a "good" copy of your files, even if the files on the first Diskstation get trashed by malware and then the trashed versions are backed up to the second Diskstation.
maticus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maticus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:56 pm

I've searched the net and discovered, that I could SSH onto the Synology machine. There is rsnapshot and cron available, even packaged nicely.

So my idea is to setup a normal backup folder on the Synology machine, accessible r/w to user, and then (internally on the Synology) will do rsync incremental backups to a folder accessible read-only from the network.
For easier use at the user side, I'll lookup some software to do the windows->synology share backups, the Macrium Reflect you recommended looks okay at first glance.

That should be more-or-less bulletproof, methinks.

Thanks for help.
sincarne
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby sincarne » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:01 pm

maticus wrote:I've searched the net and discovered, that I could SSH onto the Synology machine. There is rsnapshot and cron available, even packaged nicely.

So my idea is to setup a normal backup folder on the Synology machine, accessible r/w to user, and then (internally on the Synology) will do rsync incremental backups to a folder accessible read-only from the network.
For easier use at the user side, I'll lookup some software to do the windows->synology share backups, the Macrium Reflect you recommended looks okay at first glance.

That should be more-or-less bulletproof, methinks.

Thanks for help.

y use command line 4 what hyper backup do? it use rsync
maticus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maticus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:42 pm

I'd like to know what Hyper Backup exactly does, however online descriptions are very vague in terms of security, access control, etc.
Probably nobody asks for it, and powerusers/sysadmins just have it tested.

So if the my above mentioned requirements are met, I'll probably go with some build-in solution. If not, I have rsnapshot at my disposal.
mritguy22
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mritguy22 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:45 pm

You should check out Veeam. Its worked well for me in the past. They have great support and easy to use. You can set the synology as a repository. Definitely may favorite solution I worked with so far.

Return to “General Products Inquiries”