Intel C2000 Series Failures

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
polanat
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: Intel C2000 Series Failures

Postby polanat » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:56 pm

fixedwheel wrote:"On its Q4 2016 earnings call earlier this month, chief financial officer Robert Swan said a product issue limited profitability during the quarter, forcing the biz to set aside a pot of cash to deal with the problem."

Sounds like the lottery fund. Up to now the majority of these lottery tickets are in Cisco's hands sponsored by their customers through the Service Contracts :D
Last edited by polanat on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 2 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 1 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U
Peaches182
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Peaches182 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am

Good Morning everyone,

I am also the lucky owner of a 2415+ NAS with the now famous CPU, and I would like to know if Synology finaly got an official failure/potential failure statement ?

Do they have a B plan / Are they elaborating a B plan for all the users of their products or will they simply wait until all NAS die one by one and treat all the cases as standard warranty case ?

How will cases be handled if a NAS died after the 3 years warranty period due to a previously known issue ?

Thanks for you input, I am quite worried by the situation at the moment and my future data availability (if the NAS should die).

btw, apologize for my approximative english, as you might guess I am not a native english speaker.
polanat
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby polanat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Peaches182 wrote:I would like to know if Synology finally got an official failure/potential failure statement ?

The answer is still - NO, NOT YET! However we All do expect whatever statement from them.

PS Consequently, the rest of you questions automatically coming to the waiting list :(
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 2 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 1 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
Jon-the-nas
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Jon-the-nas » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:24 pm

I told everyone at my work to put trust the fileserver (RS815+ which is also the infamous CPU). Now I have to dread that decision. I don't have any desire for Synology to be harmed by this, its not their fault, but they need to come up with a plan. If the plan is to sweep it under the rug, that scandal will sink Synology faster than anything.

What I would like to see is an option to buy a new motherboard with a revised CPU at an extreme discount. That way I can install it myself without the long downtime of shipping it to Synology. That will also help when our NAS goes out of warranty. Does anyone know if this is technically possible, or is there some encryption that matches the motherboard to the drives?
Cristimv
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Cristimv » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi.
My DS1515+ died last night, after giving me some signs which I've miss interpreted. I got several errors in the last days, "station experienced an improper shutdown" and initially I thought it was the UPS. I've connected directly to the outlet and still it continued to restart, and finally died. I have to mention that it was running for the last 18-24 months, on a 24x7 basis. Like my previous DS712 and DS1512. I've opened up a case, and it will be RMA-ed. Finger crossed that my hdd's are intact.
Coming back to one of the statements above...it's not Synology's fault here. All the costs should be covered by Intel. I really don't want Synology to dissapear. It's our job to have a backup in such cases...what is the alternative option available on the market?
Sorry, Synology really earned their place they have today with their products, operating system and support.
Iarn
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Iarn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 pm

See a smaller NAS manufacturer's (iXSystems) reation
iXsystems is committed to offering its customers the best storage solutions available on the market today. We have recently become aware of an issue with a component on the motherboard of the FreeNAS Mini and Mini XL that may lead to system failure. In most cases, the FreeNAS Mini will perform normally and may never experience a failure. If the affected component does fail, however, then the system will fail to boot. There is no risk of data loss if the affected component does fail.

Rest assured we’ve got you covered. We’ve been working with our vendor to identify a board-level fix that will provide customers with the stability they expect from their FreeNAS Mini. iXsystems is also pleased to announce that we are extending the warranty on the FreeNAS Mini motherboard. This warranty extension will apply to any second generation FreeNAS Mini or Mini XL manufactured before February 2017, giving a total of three (3) years of warranty coverage. Going forward, any FreeNAS Mini or FreeNAS Mini XL manufactured on or after February 2017 will not have this issue. For more information, please refer to the Knowledge Base article on the topic.

We stand behind the FreeNAS Mini and the FreeNAS Mini XL and will continue to support our customers. If you believe you have been affected by this issue, contact our customer service department at 1.408.943.4100 or send our customer support department an email at support@iXsystems.com. You can also leave a comment below.

Thank you for your loyalty as an iXsystems customer!

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?th ... ost-349195
Their customers got information AND a fix AND a warranty extension. And this is a small company, not Cisco as some are eager to empathize the difference in size between Cisco and Synology.
Cristimv
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Cristimv » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Iarn wrote:See a smaller NAS manufacturer's (iXSystems) reation
iXsystems is committed to offering its customers the best storage solutions available on the market today. We have recently become aware of an issue with a component on the motherboard of the FreeNAS Mini and Mini XL that may lead to system failure. In most cases, the FreeNAS Mini will perform normally and may never experience a failure. If the affected component does fail, however, then the system will fail to boot. There is no risk of data loss if the affected component does fail.

Rest assured we’ve got you covered. We’ve been working with our vendor to identify a board-level fix that will provide customers with the stability they expect from their FreeNAS Mini. iXsystems is also pleased to announce that we are extending the warranty on the FreeNAS Mini motherboard. This warranty extension will apply to any second generation FreeNAS Mini or Mini XL manufactured before February 2017, giving a total of three (3) years of warranty coverage. Going forward, any FreeNAS Mini or FreeNAS Mini XL manufactured on or after February 2017 will not have this issue. For more information, please refer to the Knowledge Base article on the topic.

We stand behind the FreeNAS Mini and the FreeNAS Mini XL and will continue to support our customers. If you believe you have been affected by this issue, contact our customer service department at 1.408.943.4100 or send our customer support department an email at support@iXsystems.com. You can also leave a comment below.

Thank you for your loyalty as an iXsystems customer!

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?th ... ost-349195
Their customers got information AND a fix AND a warranty extension. And this is a small company, not Cisco as some are eager to empathize the difference in size between Cisco and Synology.

Here I have to agree with you. Synology should take a stand and assume responsibility here...just by waiting and seeing, they loose face...and customers
polanat
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby polanat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:26 am

Iarn wrote:See a smaller NAS manufacturer's (iXSystems) reaction

Just some more info from iXSystems Knowledgebase:

FreeNAS® Mini Motherboard Clock Signal Issue

"iXsystems is aware of an issue with a component on the motherboard in the second generation FreeNAS Mini and FreeNAS Mini XL. In most cases, your FreeNAS Mini will perform normally and may never be impacted by this issue. However, based on information that we have gathered from our vendors, customers, and our engineering team, a small number of these boards may experience issues after 18 months in operation. If the affected component does fail, the system will fail to boot. For more information about the issue and our plan to address it, please read below.

Is the data in my FreeNAS Mini safe?
Don’t worry! This issue only affects the FreeNAS Mini motherboard and should not cause any loss of data or affect your storage disks.

Is this issue dangerous?
No. The affected system will simply fail to boot. It is not related to overheating, or other hazardous types of damage.

Is this issue specific to the FreeNAS Mini?
No. Many vendors use this manufacturer’s component and have reported the same issue.

Which models of the FreeNAS Mini are affected?

This issue affects only the second generation of the FreeNAS Mini and FreeNAS Mini XL. The first generation of the FreeNAS Mini is not affected by this issue.

How do I know which generation of the FreeNAS Mini I have?
To identify if you have a second generation FreeNAS Mini or a first generation FreeNAS Mini, use the following information. Second generation FreeNAS Minis will have a FreeNAS badge on the front of the case and a lock immediately to the right. Another way to tell is by looking at the USB ports. The first generation FreeNAS Mini will have front USB ports visible on the front of the machine. On the second generation FreeNAS Mini, the front USB ports are hidden behind the lockable door.

Will iXsystems replace my FreeNAS Mini motherboard under warranty if I experience this issue? What if my warranty is expired?

iXsystems is proud to stand behind its products. We’re extending the warranty on all second generation FreeNAS Mini motherboards shipped before February 2017 to a total of three (3) years. Any FreeNAS Minis shipped in February and after will have our standard one year warranty and are completely free of this issue.

What should I do if I think my FreeNAS Mini has stopped working because of this issue?
Call the iXsystems Customer Support Department at 1.408.943.4100 or send an email to support@iXsystems.com. We will be glad to assist you.

How does the return process work and how long does it take?
We offer an advanced replacement option if you have experienced a failure related to your FreeNAS Mini motherboard. An advanced replacement means that we will ship you a motherboard ahead of receiving the defective motherboard.

What if I didn’t get an answer to my question in this FAQ?
Send an email to support@iXsystems.com or call us at 1.408.943.4100. You can also leave a comment below. We will be glad to answer your questions.

Thank you for your loyalty as an iXsystems customer. We stand behind the FreeNAS Mini and the FreeNAS Mini XL and will continue to support our customers."

https://support.ixsystems.com/index.php ... e/View/289

PS Synology even don't have to spend much time on their statement/knowledgebase - the above ones can be used with minor rewording :)
glumr
Beginner
Beginner

Postby glumr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:06 am

I just noticed this thread on the forum. The same issue has come up under another topic.
I recently posted some information on similar situations in the past in that thread.
HelloHelloHello
Student
Student

Postby HelloHelloHello » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:08 pm

https://www.synology.com/en-global/company/news/article/Synology_Product_Status_Update/Synology%C2%AE%20Product%20Status%20Update

1 Year Extended Warranty on affected units.

Let me guess, it's not long enough for some of you. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
veg
Student
Student

Postby veg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:24 pm

You will be probably surprised, but IMHO it's a quite good solution.

They extended a warranty for "C2538 NASes" to calm down (?) the customers and they are still working with Intel to find the solution, which should prevent our servers from bricking (that's how I understand the second note). I just hope, that it won't be a performance reduction, to "save" the processor and longer its equipment life at any cost...
tommyd
Student
Student

Postby tommyd » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:08 am

HelloHelloHello wrote:https://www.synology.com/en-global/company/news/article/Synology_Product_Status_Update/Synology%C2%AE%20Product%20Status%20Update

"2.Since February 2017, suggested improvements from Intel are incorporated into current and future C2538 based hardware platform"

Would be nice to know what those changes are and if they will prevent future failures.
polanat
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby polanat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:43 am

veg wrote:You will be probably surprised, but IMHO it's a quite good solution.

They extended a warranty for "C2538 NASes" to calm down (?) the customers

I do share your opinion re the first part

veg wrote:You will be probably surprised, but IMHO it's a quite good solution.

... and they are still working with Intel to find the solution, which should prevent our servers from bricking (that's how I understand the second note). I just hope, that it won't be a performance reduction, to "save" the processor and longer its equipment life at any cost...

As for the second part - I mostly linked it to the affected models that are in Synology hands. As for the ones that are still in our hands - here I am not so optimistic and do not expect from Synology a recall campaign. So, once the models fail within warranty all will have to dispatch them to Synology. The crucial point is what will come to you as a replacement? Will it be another motherboard (MB) with the same time-bomb or it will be another MB with a fix or it will be your own MB fixed or it will be another MB with another CPU ... - here we may only guess ...
gmrza
Trainee
Trainee

Postby gmrza » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:32 am

tommyd wrote:
HelloHelloHello wrote:https://www.synology.com/en-global/company/news/article/Synology_Product_Status_Update/Synology%C2%AE%20Product%20Status%20Update

"2.Since February 2017, suggested improvements from Intel are incorporated into current and future C2538 based hardware platform"

Would be nice to know what those changes are and if they will prevent future failures.

I have no doubt that Intel will fix the C2000 platform. It will take a while for the new units to make it into the market, however. I am in the market for a new NAS, so that is a question I am trying to answer in my mind - I would prefer to know that I am getting one of the new C2000 series systems. - It will take a while - for instance, the estimates I am seeing from Cisco for the affected SKUs in its Nexus 9000 series switches is July this year. (That said, there are probably only a few thousand Nexus 9ks in circulation.)
At the same time, the C2538 (and its siblings) are getting a bit long in the tooth - they were launched in 2013. I am wondering whether we will soon see a DS1715+ and DS1718+, based on the Denverton platform (e.g. Atom C3338, which has just been launched). Hopefully I will be able to delay my purchase long enough until the newer models are launched.
From Synology's perspective, I would hazard a guess that, in terms of people who want to purchase new equipment, units based on the C2538 are now viewed with suspicion. Synology will want to get a replacement onto the market as soon as possible, I hope, to reduce the impact on sales.
polanat
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby polanat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 am

gmrza wrote:so that is a question I am trying to answer in my mind - I would prefer to know that I am getting one of the new C2000 series systems.

You can always check here -> https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... y_NAS_have

and here -> https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc ... logy-model

gmrza wrote:I am wondering whether we will soon see a DS1715+ and DS1718+, based on the Denverton platform (e.g. Atom C3338, which has just been launched). Hopefully I will be able to delay my purchase long enough until the newer models are launched

Just wait for CeBIT (http://www.cebit.de/exhibitor/synology/V806903), however, I really doubt there's going to be announced sth extraordinary ))

Return to “General Products Inquiries”