Download station with vpn client

Post your questions about using our Download Station here.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
Strudo76
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Download station with vpn client

Unread post by Strudo76 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:51 am

briankfree wrote:
awolf78 wrote: Here is the trick: You start the VPN connection inside the Docker container. Since Synology Downloadstation does not support any proxys you also have to run e.g. a torrent or NZB client inside the same container. Only the traffic inside the container will be routed through the VPN.
The only alternative is to setup an extra machine (e.g. old Synology, if you have one) just handling your downloads and VPN connection.

P.S.: I really miss my DownloadStation. It is so much better than Deluge (what I am using now inside the Docker container). Hope Synology adds SOCKS proxy support some day - then you could just run a SOCKS proxy inside the Docker container running the VPN :)
Thats my question though. What happens if the VPN connection drops (Can't reconnect), or say your docker gets rebooted, it will come back online using your connection but without a VPN, thus making you susceptible. Ideally I was hoping for a route of some type within Download Station that won't allow it to pass traffic unless a VPN connection is present.
I'd assume this solution is addressing the original topic of how to access NAS apps externally while running the VPN, rather than the "evolved" topic of how to stop data transport unless the VPN is active.

Strudo76
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Strudo76 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:34 pm

On that topic though, I'd like an opinion on my setup. What I've done is used the 'block services' function of my router (Netgear WNDR3800) to block all ports except 53 and 1194 for my NAS IP address. On the NAS I have set the DNS to only my router IP address, so it shouldn't look outside my network to resolve host names.

When the VPN is connected, the checkmytorrentip torrent displays an IP address from the country I've specified as the exit server, and downloads occur as expected. Traceroute 8.8.8.8 starts at my VPN address, and completes to it's destination, and ping gets responses with both www.google.com and 8.8.8.8

When the VPN is not connected, I get "could not connect to tracker" errors. Traceroute 8.8.8.8 starts at my router internal address and doesn't get any further, however ping still gets responses from www.google.com and 8.8.8.8

Does this seem like a feasible method of blocking my IP being exposed when the VPN connection fails? My networking kung-fu isn't very strong, so I'd like a more knowledgeable people to consider it.

Regards,

Simon

awolf78
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by awolf78 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Strudo76 wrote: I'd assume this solution is addressing the original topic of how to access NAS apps externally while running the VPN, rather than the "evolved" topic of how to stop data transport unless the VPN is active.
It does address both.

cgebke
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by cgebke » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:21 pm

I really appreciate all the knowledge on this forum. I set up an openvpn on my diskstation and it seems to be working great. I know that my downloadstation is working (it is downloading files), but I wanted to confirm the IP addres it is using. I tried ipleak, but that never showed anything unless I turned off the vpn. Then it showed my actual IP address. If I had the VPN turned on, it only said no data. I was wondering if there is any other way to confirm the IP address. Any services on the NAS, other websites, or someway to make ipleak work. Thanks for the help.

afawaz
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by afawaz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:44 am

Hi all,
I tried to read a lot about this question. but me and iptables/routing are 2 ! :)
So any solution to make download station go through vpn and everything else out of vpn ?
Thanks

briankfree
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by briankfree » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:12 am

afawaz wrote:Hi all,
I tried to read a lot about this question. but me and iptables/routing are 2 ! :)
So any solution to make download station go through vpn and everything else out of vpn ?
Thanks
I still haven't found a good way within DSM that is sure fire. I'm still holding out for Synology to update Download Station with this feature...but who knows.

slburke
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by slburke » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:48 pm

cgebke wrote:I really appreciate all the knowledge on this forum. I set up an openvpn on my diskstation and it seems to be working great. I know that my downloadstation is working (it is downloading files), but I wanted to confirm the IP addres it is using. I tried ipleak, but that never showed anything unless I turned off the vpn. Then it showed my actual IP address. If I had the VPN turned on, it only said no data. I was wondering if there is any other way to confirm the IP address. Any services on the NAS, other websites, or someway to make ipleak work. Thanks for the help.
Try ipmagnet.services.cbcdn.com ... It will give you a magnet link to load in download station and show your current IP address (either VPN or public) on it's webpage.

sjw
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by sjw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:38 pm

Any idea why I can't connect to the tracker on certain sites from my NAS - but I can from my PC on the same internet connection/IP address?

Strudo76
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Strudo76 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:03 pm

sjw wrote:Any idea why I can't connect to the tracker on certain sites from my NAS - but I can from my PC on the same internet connection/IP address?
Perhaps they can block certain clients? Or require/restrict encryption and you have different set ups on each. Just guessing really.

sjw
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by sjw » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks for that. I don't think it's that though because it's a sudden thing and could connect fine until recently and apparently no new 'banned' clients. I did try Transmission too. Are there any other clients recommended for the NAS?
Greetings to Aus by the way. My parents visiting are there now..... as well as all your great vineyards.. :)

damartin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by damartin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:39 pm

This is the perfect solution - install a docker image that has a bittorrent downloader and vpn client installed. enjoy....

https://hub.docker.com/r/haugene/transmission-openvpn/

That way - only the docker container is connected over VPN - leaving everything working as normal.

stussyraja
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by stussyraja » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:46 am

dmartin, how do u execute the docker run with all the path and variables? i didnt quite understand it. Would appreciate your help

Strudo76
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Strudo76 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:46 am

I installed deluge, which has full support for proxy servers. It's available through the synocommunity using package centre if beta software is activated and installs pretty much automatically. Only running a 212j and it doesn't noticeably affect NAS performance that I can tell, though I don't exactly hammer my NAS anyway. Hopefully that is sufficient to protect my privacy without running the full VPN and blocking access to my NAS. I can just connect the VPN on a case by case basis.

slburke
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by slburke » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:00 pm

Last edited by slburke on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slburke
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by slburke » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:02 pm

damartin wrote:This is the perfect solution - install a docker image that has a bittorrent downloader and vpn client installed. enjoy....

https://hub.docker.com/r/haugene/transmission-openvpn/

That way - only the docker container is connected over VPN - leaving everything working as normal.
Excellent solution! I finally took the plunge and updated to DSM 5.2 JUST so I could try out this and Docker... AWSOME!

Thanks MUCH!

Return to “Download Station”