BT Transmission settings.json resets on restart

Questions regarding modifying the torrent engine or download station may go here.
Forum rules
Please note the disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
CodE-E
Trainee
Trainee

BT Transmission settings.json resets on restart

Postby CodE-E » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 am

Hi,

I'm hoping to reduce Transmission BitTorrent's load on my harddisks by increasing the "cache-size-mb" value to 64 (default is only 4) and decreasing the "upload-slots-per-torrent" to 1 (default is 14).

Well, I edited /usr/syno/etc/packages/DownloadStation/download/settings.json and while downloads are running, I can see with DSM's Resource Monitor that the Transmission process uses more memory (whether it significantly reduces disk I/O is yet to be seen - looking forward to DSM 4.1's new Resource Monitor which will also show these stats).

Unfortunately, when I restart my NAS or stop/start the Download Station package from DSM's Package Center, the settings.json file is gone. When I start downloading again, it appears again, but with most of the values set to the defaults again. I say most, because the values which are configurable via DSM's Download Station, like maximum download speed, are incorporated into this generated settings.json file.

Does anyone know how I can prevent settings.json from being deleted and re-generated, so that my custom settings stay persisted? I even tried to "chown -w" the file as root, but it seems the process runs as root and so it can get deleted anyway.
CodE-E
Trainee
Trainee

Re: BT Transmission settings.json resets on restart

Postby CodE-E » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 am

I downloaded DSM 4.1 and checked the disk IOPS difference between a cache size of 4 MB And 64 MB. A picture shows it best:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/bttransmissioncachesize.jpg/

I updated the Download Station package as well, but unfortunately, the settings.json still gets re-generated with the cache size set to 4 whenever the NAS system or package gets restarted. :(

Anyone have a solution?
j.olivier
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby j.olivier » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm

- Stop 'Download Station' from 'Package Center'

- connect using SSH (putty) as root

- edit (i to insert, ESC :x to save&quit)
vi /var/packages/DownloadStation/scripts/start-stop-status

- comment line
rm ${PACKAGE_DIR}/etc/download/settings.json

- edit
vi /usr/syno/etc/packages/DownloadStation/download/settings.json

- change lines (rpc for Transmission Remote GUI)
"cache-size-mb":64,
"rpc-whitelist-enabled":false,

- Restart 'Download Station' from 'Package Center'
CodE-E
Trainee
Trainee

Postby CodE-E » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:25 am

Thanks, commenting out the 'rm' command from the start-stop-status script worked! :)

Return to “Torrent Engines/Download Station Mods”