BT Transmission settings.json resets on restart

Questions regarding modifying the torrent engine or download station may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
CodE-E
Trainee
Trainee

BT Transmission settings.json resets on restart

Postby CodE-E » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 am

Hi,

I'm hoping to reduce Transmission BitTorrent's load on my harddisks by increasing the "cache-size-mb" value to 64 (default is only 4) and decreasing the "upload-slots-per-torrent" to 1 (default is 14).

Well, I edited /usr/syno/etc/packages/DownloadStation/download/settings.json and while downloads are running, I can see with DSM's Resource Monitor that the Transmission process uses more memory (whether it significantly reduces disk I/O is yet to be seen - looking forward to DSM 4.1's new Resource Monitor which will also show these stats).

Unfortunately, when I restart my NAS or stop/start the Download Station package from DSM's Package Center, the settings.json file is gone. When I start downloading again, it appears again, but with most of the values set to the defaults again. I say most, because the values which are configurable via DSM's Download Station, like maximum download speed, are incorporated into this generated settings.json file.

Does anyone know how I can prevent settings.json from being deleted and re-generated, so that my custom settings stay persisted? I even tried to "chown -w" the file as root, but it seems the process runs as root and so it can get deleted anyway.
CodE-E
Trainee
Trainee

Re: BT Transmission settings.json resets on restart

Postby CodE-E » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 am

I downloaded DSM 4.1 and checked the disk IOPS difference between a cache size of 4 MB And 64 MB. A picture shows it best:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/bttransmissioncachesize.jpg/

I updated the Download Station package as well, but unfortunately, the settings.json still gets re-generated with the cache size set to 4 whenever the NAS system or package gets restarted. :(

Anyone have a solution?
j.olivier
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby j.olivier » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm

- Stop 'Download Station' from 'Package Center'

- connect using SSH (putty) as root

- edit (i to insert, ESC :x to save&quit)
vi /var/packages/DownloadStation/scripts/start-stop-status

- comment line
rm ${PACKAGE_DIR}/etc/download/settings.json

- edit
vi /usr/syno/etc/packages/DownloadStation/download/settings.json

- change lines (rpc for Transmission Remote GUI)
"cache-size-mb":64,
"rpc-whitelist-enabled":false,

- Restart 'Download Station' from 'Package Center'
CodE-E
Trainee
Trainee

Postby CodE-E » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:25 am

Thanks, commenting out the 'rm' command from the start-stop-status script worked! :)

Return to “Torrent Engines/Download Station Mods”