Safari Download Station Extension

Post your questions about using our Download Station here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
LuukD
Versed
Versed

Safari Download Station Extension

Unread post by LuukD » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:02 am

Because it can be quite a hassle to add a download task to Synology Download Station I decided to create a Safari extension. The extension adds a button to your Safari toolbar. By clicking the button a popover opens showing all download tasks on your DiskStation. You can pause and remove tasks from the queue by clicking on one of the buttons next to the progress bar.

To add a download task you can right-click the link to the file and choose 'Download to Synology' from the context menu.

The latest version of Safari (5.1) is required for this extension and it works on both Windows and Mac OS X.

Installation
  1. Download the extension.
  2. Install the extension by opening the downloaded file with Safari.
  3. Set your DiskStation settings by going to Safari -> Preferences -> Extensions -> Safari Download Station (the default port for HTTP is 5000, for HTTPS 5001).
This is the first version of the extension. If you find any problems/bugs or if you have ideas to improve the extension, please post it here :).

There are two features I might add in a next version:
  • Option to update the download status in the background and show the finished tasks in a badge on the button. (in the current version the badge is only updated when the popover is visible)
  • Select a list of URL's on a page and send them all to your DiskStation in one click.
Last edited by LuukD on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Download Station Extension for Google Chrome and Safari - Manage Download Station from within your browser!
http://www.download-station-extension.com/

Ting_tong
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Safari Download Station Extension

Unread post by Ting_tong » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Cool thanks.

Doesn't seem to work though when I use a DDNS name and not a number in the address field.
Ting Tong from Tooting.

niewiesznic
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by niewiesznic » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks. It works !
Regards,
niewiesznic

bidouilleur
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by bidouilleur » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:29 am

don't forget to start the service in your nas, and config a download folder for the account you use with this extension.

it will work once you did all this before trying to download something.
Lion - DS211J - DSM 3.2ß

LuukD
Versed
Versed

Unread post by LuukD » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks for the positive responses!

I've found a few small bugs that I'm going to fix soon. One of these bugs occurs if Safari has been running for a while and you try to send a download task to your NAS using the context menu. You might get a message that your task hasn't been accepted, if you try again the task will be accepted.
Ting_tong wrote:Cool thanks.

Doesn't seem to work though when I use a DDNS name and not a number in the address field.
It should work with a DDNS name. I'm using it with my own domain so that's about the same. How did you set up the domain, protocol and port? My settings are like these:

Domain or IP: subdomain.mydomain.com (without http(s):// and no / at the end!)
Protocol: HTTPS
Port: 5001

If you're using HTTPS with the default Synology certificate, make sure you've added a exception to allow the invalid certificate.
Download Station Extension for Google Chrome and Safari - Manage Download Station from within your browser!

LuukD
Versed
Versed

Unread post by LuukD » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:22 pm

I have recently released a small update (version 1.1) for the extension. It fixes the following issues:
  • Adding a download task failing if Safari has been running for a while.
  • The pause/resume/remove buttons now have a transparent background.
  • Added a few descriptions for errors generated by DownloadStation.
The extension can be updated in your Safari preferences by going to Extensions -> Updates (below the extensions list). If the update doesn't show up you can download it here.
Last edited by LuukD on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ting_tong
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by Ting_tong » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Cool thanks. In a future version is it possible to add the ability to add new downloads?
Ting Tong from Tooting.

LuukD
Versed
Versed

Unread post by LuukD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Ting_tong wrote:Cool thanks. In a future version is it possible to add the ability to add new downloads?
It is already possible to add new downloads. To add a download, right-click the link to the file and choose 'Download to Synology' from the context menu.

Ting_tong
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by Ting_tong » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:12 am

Amazing thanks. How about with .torrent files already on your hard drive?
Ting Tong from Tooting.

Ting_tong
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by Ting_tong » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:30 pm

LuukD wrote: Domain or IP: subdomain.mydomain.com (without http(s):// and no / at the end!)
Protocol: HTTPS
Port: 5001
When I did it like you outlined it works. Thanks again. You should really pitch this so synology either officially supports your plug in or endorses it on their site somehow. It is an amazing addition to DS.
Ting Tong from Tooting.

coolkasper
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by coolkasper » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:45 pm

AMAZING!!!

Ive been looking for something like this for a looooooooooong time!
Looking forward to future update....
This topic i currently added in my bookmarks :D

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

gillyshere
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by gillyshere » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:26 pm

TOP Notch

Thanks this is so so SO handy :D

LuukD
Versed
Versed

Unread post by LuukD » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Ting_tong wrote:Amazing thanks. How about with .torrent files already on your hard drive?
I don't have any plans for that. Why would you want to download the .torrent files to your hard drive if you can send them directly to your DiskStation?

LuukD
Versed
Versed

Unread post by LuukD » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 pm

A new version of Safari Download Station is now available (version 1.2). Changes in this version:

Updating the number of completed downloads in the background
This is disabled by default but can be enabled in the settings. You can also set the update interval. Enabling this option might prevent your DiskStation from entering sleep/hibernation while Safari is active.

Automatic check for new versions of the extension
You will now get a message if a new version of Safari Download Station is available. I added this because the auto-update option for Safari Extensions is disabled by default and most users don't check for new versions regularly. If you don't want this reminder or if you have auto-updating enabled: this feature can be disabled in your Safari preferences.

Other small bug fixes and enhancements

You can update to the latest version by opening Safari preferences and clicking the Updates-button on the Extensions-tab. If the update doesn't show up you can download the latest version here.
Last edited by LuukD on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ids
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by ids » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:23 pm

This is very handy. Thanks!

One suggestion I would make would be to not display seeding torrents. Once it is done downloading I don't really care to check the status and with the multiple pages I have of seeding torrents the list in your extension doesn't show me anything but what I have seeding.

Return to “Download Station”