DS214play Not transcoding

Discussion room for Video Station package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

DS214play Not transcoding

Postby astroroxy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:08 am

Hello, I just got a DS214 Play and I can not get it to transcode a file.

I have an AVI file that I try to play in Video Station. I am using chrome and I know it supports mp4. My question is why is it not transcoding the avi to an mp4?

It does not have DTS audio.

Can someone confirm what settings I need to have it transcode? Maybe I do not have it setup right.

The message I get is "The video format is not supported by MY computer"

Thanks
214Play
astroroxy
Versed
Versed

Re: DS214play Not transcoding

Postby akahan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Have you installed VLC player on the computer? Assuming you're using Chrome under Windows:

Download from this site: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/2.0.8.html
Direct download: https://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.0.8/win3 ... -win32.exe
akahan
Sharp
Sharp

Postby astroroxy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:30 am

According to the VS specs it says it only needs flash if it is being trancoded and you have a DS in group 1

See here

http://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/h ... del_dialog

Stream transcoded format (Downsampled video quality) 3GP, 3G2, ASF, AVI, DAT, DivX, DVR-MS, FLV, M2T, M2TS, M4V, MKV, MP4, MTS, MOV, QT, TP, TRP, TS, VOB, WMV, XviD, RMVB

Flash Player plugin and a DiskStation belonging to Group 1
214Play
astroroxy
Versed
Versed

Postby akahan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:09 pm

You are transcoding, and your DS214play is in group 1.
akahan
Sharp
Sharp

Postby astroroxy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:05 am

akahan wrote:You are transcoding, and your DS214play is in group 1.

Correct, and it is not working.
214Play
astroroxy
Versed
Versed

Postby akahan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:12 am

Right, so have you installed VLC, and do you have Chrome configured to play the transcoded file type using VLC?
akahan
Sharp
Sharp

Postby astroroxy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:40 am

akahan wrote:Right, so have you installed VLC, and do you have Chrome configured to play the transcoded file type using VLC?

??

VLC is not required.

It is only required if it is streaming, not transcoding.
214Play
astroroxy
Versed
Versed

Postby akahan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Try installing it, and see what happens.
akahan
Sharp
Sharp

Postby astroroxy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:58 pm

akahan wrote:Try installing it, and see what happens.

That's not the point. Most computers already have flash installed. If I go over to a friends house and we want to watch a movie, I do not want to have to install VLC.

Strangely it does not work with ds video too. Only if I turn of hardware transcoding does it work, but then it stutters like crazy.
214Play
astroroxy
Versed
Versed

Postby astroroxy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 pm

I also got this from Jeremy

"So regarding the actually mechanism, the .AVI gets transcoded to a .TS with HLS (https://developer.apple.com/streaming/).

HLS is like a playlist containing many .TS video slices (segments) with limited audio/video so it can be refreshed to broadcast, also it's supported (and introduced) by iOS/Mac, explaining why an iPad can play it natively, but Chrome can't recognize it. This is why the flash plugin is still necessary."

So its not going to transcode it to a mp4, rather a .ts
214Play
astroroxy
Versed
Versed

Postby astroroxy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:27 pm

Interesting, after the latest update (update 3)

It seems to be working better. I can now transcode and stream files such as avi/mkv/etc.

The only thing that does not work now is changing the quality settings on an mp4
214Play
astroroxy
Versed
Versed

Postby astroroxy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Just an update,

It turns out its mp4 files that are over a certain length, such as movies, but not short clips.

The R and D team is looking into it right now.
214Play
astroroxy
Versed
Versed

Postby akahan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi - Thanks for thinking to provide the update...I am confused about what the issue is, and would like to understand better.

In your first post, you seem to be saying that you have AVI files, and you want the DS to transcode them on the fly to mp4 format, presumably to be played by a client that understands mp4 but not AVI.

In the last (most recent) post, you're talking about mp4 files... but I thought this was about AVI files being transcoded into mp4 format.

Can you help me understand better what the issue is, and what Synology R&D is currently working to fix?

Also, how are you trying to change the quality settings on an mp4? I don't see any setting like that in the Synology... where is that?

Thanks!
akahan
Sharp
Sharp

Postby astroroxy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:28 pm

akahan wrote:Hi - Thanks for thinking to provide the update...I am confused about what the issue is, and would like to understand better.

In your first post, you seem to be saying that you have AVI files, and you want the DS to transcode them on the fly to mp4 format, presumably to be played by a client that understands mp4 but not AVI.

In the last (most recent) post, you're talking about mp4 files... but I thought this was about AVI files being transcoded into mp4 format.

Can you help me understand better what the issue is, and what Synology R&D is currently working to fix?

Also, how are you trying to change the quality settings on an mp4? I don't see any setting like that in the Synology... where is that?

Thanks!

Originally I was trying to play my movies in the Video Staion player. It said some stuff that my computer does not support the format. It said this for all files other then MP4, because chrome can play mp4 files natively.

I originally thought it would transcode it to a mp4 so my browser (chrome) could play it.

It turns out for files that are not mp4 it trancsodes it to a .ts with hls

This is why flash is required. After the update I can play all the files just fine. For mp4s it uses chrome without flash. All other files that get transcoded use flash to play the .ts.

The issue now is that when you play a mp4 and want to change the quality of playback, it will not do it for mp4s.(Its the little gear in the playback screen of VS). It works fine for all other files, but for large mp4s it can not change the quality. It just keeps loading. It does the same for DSVIDEO on android.
214Play
astroroxy
Versed
Versed

Postby akahan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:18 am

That's interesting.

What I can tell you is that using Firefox and Internet Explorer on my PC, I am able, when playing native mp4 files from my DS214play through Video Station, to use the little gear icon to change the quality (on movie-length mp4s), whether I'm using Flash, the VLC plugin, or the Quicktime Player plugin. Also, both the VLC and Quicktime plugins do a MUCH better job of playback than the Flash plugin, regardless of the quality setting.

So, not sure if the issue you're experiencing is Chrome-related (it shouldn't be; the plugins should work the same on all the browsers), or if it's something to do with the particular codecs your mp4s are encoded with.
akahan
Sharp
Sharp

Return to Video Station