rtorrent

Questions regarding modifying the torrent engine or download station may go here.
Forum rules
Please note the disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.

rtorrent

Postby Minority » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:00 pm

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to run rtorrent on their ds106/ds106e? And if so, how they went about it?

regards.
Minority
Trainee
Trainee

Postby pem » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:53 pm

I have been using rtorrent for a while with good results. Sometimes it halts, but then I kill it and restarts.

I use it coupled with screen, so it runs while I am logged off.

Regards pem
pem
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Minority » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:42 pm

Hi pem.

What version of rtorrent are you using?

I've tried installing rtorrent with
Code: Select all
ipkg install rtorrent
and it seems to install fine.

But when launching it by typing 'rtorrent', text that should be readable just turns up as weird stuff. (e.g., the text at the bottom of the screen turns up as 0123456789abcd[...]ABCDEFGHI.... etc.)

weird?.

regards.
Minority
Trainee
Trainee

Postby pem » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:01 pm

Below please find a list of installed Optware packages of my machine (which is called bogota):
bogota> ipkg list_installed
bzip2 - 1.0.3-6 - Very high-quality data compression program
cvs - 1.12.9-1 -
dropbear - 0.48.1-1 - Lightweight SSH client and server system
ffmpeg - 0.4.9-pre1+r5834-1 - FFmpeg is an audio/video conversion tool.
freetype - 2.1.10-1 - Free truetype library
glib - 2.6.6-1 - The GLib library of C routines.
hdparm - 6.1-1 - Linux hard drive parameter utility
lame - 3.96.1-3 - LAME is an LGPL MP3 encoder.
libcurl - 7.15.4-1 -
libdvdread - 0.9.4-2 - library for reading dvd
libjpeg - 6b-2 - collection of jpeg tools
libogg - 1.1.3-2 - Ogg is a multimedia container format.
libsigc++ - 2.0.17-1 - libsigc++ implements a typesafe callback system for standard C++.
libstdc++ - 5.0.6-3 -
libtorrent - 0.7.3-1 -
libupnp - 1.3.1-1 -
libusb - 0.1.10a-6 - Library for interfacing to the USB subsystem.
libvorbis - 1.1.2-3 - Ogg Vorbis compressed audio format.
lynx - 2.8.5-4 - A text browser for the World Wide Web
mc - 4.5.55-3 - Midnight Commander File Manager
ncurses - 5.5-1 - NCurses libraries
openssl - 0.9.7d-4 -
rtorrent - 0.3.3-1 -
screen - 4.0.2-4 -
smartmontools - 5.36-1 - Utility programs to control and monitor (SMART) built into most modern ATA and SCSI hard disks.
termcap - 1.3.1-2 - Terminal emulation library
transcode - cvs20050223-3 - Transcode is a suite of tools, all of which are command line utilities, for transcoding various video, audio, and container for
unrar - 3.6.5-1 - unrar is an application that can decompress files and archives created using the RAR compression scheme
vim - 7.0-2 - Yet another version of the vi editor.
wget-ssl - 1.10-1 -
xvid - 20060306-1 - Xvid is MPEG4 codec
zlib - 1.2.3-1 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.
Successfully terminated.
pem
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Minority » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:26 pm

Thanks for that pem.

But maybe I should rephrase my question:

Is anyone able to run the latest version of rtorrent on their ds-106e? rtorrent_0.6.4-2_powerpc.ipk?

I have gotten the 0.3.3-1 release to work (also available on http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa ... ss/stable/). Funny thing though (imo :shock: ), after uninstalling rtorrent it can still be launched?.. eh?

And I know that maybe I should just stick to using 0.3.3-1 but sometimes it is nice knowing you're running the latest and greatest.

edit:

right, so maybe i should've waited a bit before posting this.

after a while of fetching a torrent, rtorrent crashed (looking something like this -- http://www.mail-archive.com/libtorrent- ... 00513.html). after this crash, I could get it to start again, but when trying to rehash the torrent it would crash, with the same error. then all of a sudden I couldn't get rtorrent to start at all, it would just start off with this crash. then I removed all rtorrent ipkgs, and tried running rtorrent (thing that is always there ^). rtorrent would then run, but when I try to download a torrent file, rtorrent just exits.

wonderful. :?:
Minority
Trainee
Trainee

Postby pem » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:54 pm

As far as I know there is actually a rtorrent included with the Synology system, perhaps it is part of their download station.

I have had the same experience as you, the non-ipkg rtorrent does not work very well. The ipkg version seems to work OK most ofthe time except that it sometimes halts and must be restarted.

Since this works for me I have not bothered installing anything newer or better.
pem
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Minority » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:20 pm

Hey pem.

Yeah.. so I went through all my ipkgs and installed all things to be the same version as yours (you seem to be running old packages of most things) and now it all seems to work.

I'll have to live with this solution aswell.

thanks for you help.
Minority
Trainee
Trainee

Postby madcow » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:41 am

it seems rtorrent is already implemented.

i found out that if i press tab twice, i get a commando list (im very new to the whole busybox thing), and saw rtorrent in there

i can also start the program. on top it states:
rTorrent 0.3.6 - libTorrent 0.7.6

after that, im kinda lost. all i know is how to exit (CTRL-Q) but i havent found out yet how to upload/downlaod torrents (other then with the download redirector)

O ja, Im using beta v424
madcow
Novice
Novice

Postby Minority » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:26 pm

at http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/RTorrentUserGuide you can find a full list of commands.

Not all of them work for the version of rtorrent you are running though, atleast, they don't all work for me (I think (rtorrent 3.3-1), specifically the M^1. anyone know why it says M^/what does this stand for? the command is just pressing the number keys... so I've been told).

Hit enter and paste a link to a torrent file for it to download the torrent and list it.

Hit backspace and paste a link to a torrent file for it to download the torrent and start downloading it.

Hit ctrl-s to start a torrent, ctrl-d to stop a torrent, and ctrl-d again to delete the torrent.
Minority
Trainee
Trainee

Background

Postby eturfboer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:50 pm

Yes, rtorrent works. However if I quit the terminal then the process halts. With "rtorrent -h" I found "-f: fork to background and become daemon" and "-m Enter multi-task mode. We will get task from shared memory.". But is seems like it does not work (or I am doing it wrong?). Any thoughts on this one?

Secondly I have read here that someone has been switching between controlling torrents from the terminal as well as from redirector, but when I add torrents to rtorrent they do not show up in redirector and when I have torrents active in redirector it rtorrent is empty.

It seems like when using the command rtorrent a new instance of rtorrent is loaded and quited.
eturfboer
Student
Student

Postby Minority » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:40 pm

hey eturfboer,

if you haven't figured this out yet, you have to run rtorrent in a terminal window manager like 'screen'. I believe you have to install the screen package (ipkg install screen). then run screen by typing 'screen'. Screen gives you a terminal window (or two, or three), that you can launch programs in. You can create new terminal windows in screen, and swtich between them (forgotten commands, search on google.) After launching rtorrent in screen, you can minimize screen by holding ctrl down and pressing a then d. (should say screen has detached). then type exit to quit the ssh connection. Reconnect and type screen -R to reattach teh terminal window.
Minority
Trainee
Trainee

Postby eturfboer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:34 pm

Minority wrote:forgotten commands

Many thanks Minority, it works fine now. For any body else who want to use this the commands:
-Start screen just by typing screen (Every program running under screen runs in a window, and every window is identified by a unique number. Screen made a new window, numbered it 0, and started a command shell inside it)
-Ctrl-a c (Make another window; this will be window 1; create window)
-Ctrl-a Ctrl-a (Switching between windows; switch you to whichever window you were using before the current one)
-Ctrl-a n (switch to the next window)
-Ctrl-a p (switch to the previous window)
-Ctrl-a N (switch to the # screen (# is a number from 0 to 9, to switch to the corresponding window)
-Ctrl-a " (full-screen list of windows.
-Ctrl-a w (a small, non-interactive list of windows)
-Ctrl-a A (naming the window)
eturfboer
Student
Student

Postby hazi » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Minority wrote:Screen gives you a terminal window (or two, or three), that you can launch programs in.

You can increase the number of terminal windows by following this tutorial:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DS101/MorePTYS

--
hazi
hazi
Novice
Novice

Postby gilesrsmith » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:51 pm

I can't work out how to change the default download folder for rtorrent 0.3.6 (^O or control + shift + o) doesn't do anything.

i tried the ipkg version on my 101j but i i kept getting file errors

the syno version works fine but I only seem to be able to save the downloaded files in /root/ (logged in as root)
gilesrsmith
Trainee
Trainee

Postby eturfboer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:55 pm

gilesrsmith wrote:i tried the ipkg version on my 101j but i i kept getting file errors

Do you mean that you installed rtorrent 0.3.6 using ipkg or a newer version? Secondly are you able to change the download folder for the "default" version of rtorrent?
eturfboer
Student
Student

Next

Return to Torrent Engines/Download Station Mods