¿ DS214play or DS214+ ?

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1-Use the Online NAS selector to find the right DiskStation!
http://www.synology.com/products/nas_se ... p?lang=enu

2-This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

¿ DS214play or DS214+ ?

Postby ferylee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi,

I’m about to buy a Synology but I’m “stuck” between the DS214play and the DS214+. There are some few details that I do not understand good enough so I can make the right choice:

The Synology I will mainly use it for professional reasons, as a backup system (TimeMachine for computers in and outside the office), for having all documents available and be able to share them between different users.

One thing I see that the DS214play has, is this “Hardware Transcoding Engine”:
- Is this meant to be able to stream Movies that has been converted on the fly, so they can be viewed in iPad iPhone and other portable devices?
- Will I not be able to stream Movies with the DS214+ ?
- Will I be able to stream Movies with external loaded subtitles?

On the other side I see that the DS214+ has this “Hardware Encryption Engine” and the DS214play doesn’t have it:
- What is it exactly and for what and who is it meant to be useful this kind of encryption?
- Why does the DS214play doesn’t have it, is it not enough secure the play?

And to finish… Hard Drives. What performs better with the DS214play / DS214+ :
- Seagate Barracuda 4TB 3,5″
- Western Digital Red 4TB 3,5″

Thanks!

Regards,
Fery
ferylee
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: ¿ DS214play or DS214+ ?

Postby terry999 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm facing the same dilema as to which model to buy, DS214play or one of the other DS214 models

I currently watch media files (xvids etc) on a Humax sat receiver which acts as a DLNA client. There are file formats it doesn't support e.g. anything in a mkv container.

Can the DS214play convert/transcode on the fly to a format the client (in my case a Humax sat rec) supports.

Thanks
terry999
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mr.fixitnick » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 am

Just thought I would throw my 2 pennies in here.

Yeah, the DS412play is suppose to transcode "on the fly" so, cool feature.

BUT!!! You should be have a head end or middle man that is more than capable of doing this too.

My thought is that if your relying on your back end equipment to convert and transcode, you need to have a long hard look at your head end hardware. Your head end equipment SHOULD be able to handle anything you throw at it. If not, then maybe you should be upgrading the front instead of the back.
Professional Practitioner of Obsolete Technology & Repository of Useless Information.

I'm NOT a pro on Synology equipment but, some around here needs to answer some question. So, I'll help you out as best as I can.

Hardware (x2):
Synology DS1813+
(8) WD Se 4TB Hard Drives
(1) WD Se 4TB Hard Drives on the shelf for spare
mr.fixitnick
Experienced
Experienced

Postby terry999 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:22 pm

mr.fixitnick

A valid point. Thank you. I am using something: a Sat rec which does its main job well, and playing encoded files is a nice addon. A PC or dedicated HW might be best. Just wanted to avoid more clutter under the TV.

I'm going to purchase DS2114+ after Xmas.
terry999
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to General Products Inquiries